1/24 Harrier engine mounting

Hi Gang,

Anyone here built the Airfix 1/24 Harrier? I feel like I'm missing something with the way the engine mounts in the fuselage. There's only one locting hole and pin and it seems to just 'flop around' at the front. It looks like there's groove for second support nearer the front, but it's not mentioned in the instructions, and I can't find a piece that might fit. Will the intake inserts centrer the engine face when they go in to place?

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

At the front it's held in place by cementing the fan front to parts 67 and 136 (there's a package in the post BTW). You have to make sure these parts sit correctly in the outer intake parts, otherwise misalignment with the variable thruster outlets is pretty much guaranteed (I wonder how I found that out?). The mounts for the thrust nozzles hold the engine in-situ within the fuselage, but there is also a little bulkhead with a pin matched to a hole in the engine at the rear and underneath. Trying to get everything to fit, cemented and closed up is, to be honest, a bit of a 'mare.  If I did another one - there's a GR1 in the loft stash - and assuming the the opening top hatch will be fixed and not openable for  displaying the engine, then I'd skip the engine itself and jury rig the fan and thrust nozzles.

2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

If I did another one - there's a GR1 in the loft stash - and assuming the the opening top hatch will be fixed and not openable for  displaying the engine, then I'd skip the engine itself and jury rig the fan and thrust nozzles.

Either that or model it with the engine out for maintenance...

I agree with it being a mare, I've never managed to get one to fit! 

Thanks both. Sounds like I'm not the only one having difficulties. I'm planning to fix the wings and engine cover in place so I've only assembled the basic core of the engine to hold the nozzles in place. I'll keep dry fitting!

• Like 1