BlackMike Models

Hobby Boss 1/48 F4F-4 Wildcat with a twist

A bit of a disaster this morning! i was tidying up the rivet and panel details on the wings to get ready for the primer when there was a sharp cracking sound and a nice gap right along the right wing root. I guess I had been a bit over zealous and the epoxy had let go. I have filled the gap with superglue and that has reattached the wobbly wing but I'm back to square one with making the wing root area tidy enough for paint. :(

Duncan B

• Sad 1

Guess who must have thrown these 2 little blisters out so has had to sand his finger tips off to try to make new ones?

IMG_4231-338x450.jpg IMG_4232-338x450.jpg

One done, all I’ve got to do is make another of the fiddly little bampots now.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, it’s the little comments that get me through the tough bits. 

I’ve got myself a Wildcat with a coat of primer on. No dramas, no grief so I’m happy. I will let it harden off and will then do any remedial work required but it doesn’t look too bad at the moment other than a slight crack still at the right wing root. Some Mr Surfacer will deal with that.

IMG_4235-600x450.jpg IMG_4236-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 2

IMG_4238-600x450.jpg

I’m almost tempted to just leave that little gap at the wing root as it looks like a panel line. So long as it doesn’t open up any more. I will have to run the scriber along the other wing root to get a similar line on that side. 

Next up, polishing back the primer then some paint.

Duncan B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

To be honest Duncan it hardly shows 

I carefully brushed over it with the brush from a Tamiya extra thin cement bottle (just damp, not soaking in the stuff) and it was enough to melt some of the primer into the crack and it's mostly disappeared now.

I've spent the last couple of hours polishing the primer and checking for flaws. It all looks pretty good now so should be ready for the aluminium paint tomorrow. I'm also looking at the rivet detail and wondering if the decals will conform to the surface detail. This in turn has got me thinking about painting on the main markings instead! I'm going to go shopping for paint masks for the neutrality stars shortly.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I only managed an hour at the bench today but in that time I managed to get the undercarriage fitted with the help of Mrs B, a dab hand with superglue accelerator as it turns out. The gear looks flimsy but it is remarkably strong. 

IMG_4241-600x450.jpg IMG_4242-600x450.jpg

I’m not sure how much I’ll get done tomorrow as it’s the annual visit of hundreds of Harley Davidsons to Brechin. The town turns into a Scottish version of Sturgis for the weekend. Check it out online, it’s quite something to see our little town full of motorbikes, bands, fun and games. ‘Why?’ You ask? Well, the grandfather of ‘Davidson’ of Harley Davidson came from around here. The Harley Davidson U.K. Club bought his cottage a few years back and turned it into a museum and since then they have turned up here to celebrate. In years to come the BlackMike Models fan club might do the same?

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I only managed an hour at the bench today but in that time I managed to get the undercarriage fitted with the help of Mrs B, a dab hand with superglue accelerator as it turns out. The gear looks flimsy but it is remarkably strong. 

IMG_4241-600x450.jpg IMG_4242-600x450.jpg

I’m not sure how much I’ll get done tomorrow as it’s the annual visit of hundreds of Harley Davidsons to Brechin. The town turns into a Scottish version of Sturgis for the weekend. Check it out online, it’s quite something to see our little town full of motorbikes, bands, fun and games. ‘Why?’ You ask? Well, the grandfather of ‘Davidson’ of Harley Davidson came from around here. The Harley Davidson U.K. Club bought his cottage a few years back and turned it into a museum and since then they have turned up here to celebrate. In years to come the BlackMike Models fan club might do the same?

Duncan B

Firstly Duncan the undercart on mine survived being sat on by the dog, all 30kg of him! The rest unfortunately didn't survive which is why I want to do another. Secondly the Harley fan club day is gonna be noisy. Thirdly is there a black Mike models fan club? Surely that has to be the first step? 

• Haha 1

Let the fun begin, painting has to be my favourite bit of the whole modelling process.

IMG_4243-600x450.jpg IMG_4245-600x450.jpg

I have hummed and hawed about the paint order for this one. The obvious solution would be the main colour first however there is a bit more of a gap between the engine cowl and fuselage than I would like so a spot of Mr Surfacer will have to be run into it after installation. There lies the problem because the  engine and cowl will obviously have to be fitted before I can paint them but masking the engine off and painting the nose band would be tricky so I have opted to paint the nose band first then fit the cowl and mask off the front of the cowl. The fuselage band is going to be easier to paint then mask off too. (The colour of the decals doesn’t match the insignia red paint and Yellow-wings don’t supply the nose ring hence why I’m having to paint these markings).

She’s going to be a colourful bird that’s for sure.

Duncan B

• Like 1

“Red,red I want red. There’s no substitute for red” sang Sammy Hagar more years ago than I care to remember! I have no idea if the peroxide permed warbler was lusting after the covering power of Colourcoats Insignia Red or not but I am well chuffed with the way this enamel paint is behaving. It has gone on beautifully smooth and is touch dry in minutes, quite mind boggling for someone like me who expects enamels to take 2 weeks to dry. On the second attempt at painting my Hellcat I used Mr Color Leveling Thinner with the Colourcoats paints and it worked very well. Jamie kindly gave me a bottle of Colourcoats own brand of Naptha based thinners to try this time and it works very well too as you’d expect. Virtually no smell either which is another surprise if you are used to 20th Century enamel paints. 

IMG_4246-600x450.jpg IMG_4247-600x450.jpg

I’m looking forward to getting the next colour on later today. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

Looks good are you going to throw down a primer coat before the yellow to stop the red bleeding through? 

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Looks good are you going to throw down a primer coat before the yellow to stop the red bleeding through? 

I’m going to mask it off once I’ve painted the black outline then will give the overspray a dusting of light grey to cover it before the yellow and silver goes on. I thought that would be better than trying to spray the red straight on top of the yellow. You can tell I changed my mind on that from yesterday because originally I had left the wings unpainted but thought better of it this morning. 

The white for the stars is also painted now, again it is going to be masked off before the main colours get sprayed. 

IMG_4249-600x450.jpg IMG_4250-600x450.jpg

I think that’s it for today, time to let the paint harden off properly before the next round of masking and colours. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Love it. Swift progress Duncan :D

In part due to the hassle free paints, very easy to apply and very quick to dry to the touch means less risk of dust or stray finger prints settling on it (but you know all that :)).

Duncan B

p.s. I getting sucked into the whole (pre)WW2 US Navy thing, last night I was online looking for a 1/48 Buffalo!

22 minutes ago, sovereignhobbies said:

I've got one I'm unlikely to get round to building...

It looks like a straight choice between the Special Hobby (Classic Airframes mould) or the Tamiya kits for the Buffalo. The SH kit is an earlier version (239) than the Tamiya (339) which, I think, equates to F2A-1 and F2A-2 or 3?

Today’s plan is to continue painting the F4F-3 (anybody else struggling to understand the crazy system the USN used to identify their aircraft with?) now that the paint masks I’m going to use for the Neutrality Stars have turned up. 

IMG_4251-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 2

The tamiya buffalo is quite an early tamiya kit isn't it? So not much to choose between them and I reviewed the SH one on this ere forum last year. 

• Thanks 1

I've got the Midway boxing of the SH kit which is the later variant, and it looks ok in the box (normal special hobby caveats - slightly big sprue gates, and quite soft plastic, but nice resin), though not built it. It won't fall out of the box assembled like the Tamiya though. 

• Like 1