BlackMike Models

Hobby Boss 1/48 F4F-4 Wildcat with a twist

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Tidy work whoever you are :) 

Thanks, I’m thinking of opening up the engine covers and doing some scratch building on the -4. I might post a few cooking recipes too!

DB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

Thanks, I’m thinking of opening up the engine covers and doing some scratch building on the -4. I might post a few cooking recipes too!

DB

Oooh Cornish pasty? Pork pie? 

• Haha 1

This must be a parallel universe. Duncan is building US carrier borne fighters whilst I am building the Luftwaffe!

resized_e512284b-1cfc-4b21-a735-a2d1125f

Duncan and Col should both know this particular aeroplane :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, sovereignhobbies said:

This must be a parallel universe. Duncan is building US carrier borne fighters whilst I am building the Luftwaffe!

Hmm, it’s a Heinkel but I’m guessing it liked skating?

which kit is that anyway?

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

Hmm, it’s a Heinkel but I’m guessing it liked skating?

which kit is that anyway?

Correct!

It's not the nice new ICM if that's what you were thinking. It's the nice-in-places (less so in others!) Revellogram.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

DB

You'll develop a weird obsession with fugly helicopters next if you're not careful!

10 hours ago, sovereignhobbies said:

I can forgive you this one due to its local 'connection' and will even go so far as admit I've harboured passing thoughts of building the one which was shot down at Tough but please keep that quiet from Duncan or he'll be trying to sell me one.

I see this one is at the 'flying it round the garden making aeroplane noises' stage. Nice work Jamie. Is that a Spitfire in your other hand?

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 2

Col, I have the nice, new ICM He111 kits if you're interested? If you look at the picture closely you'll see by the shadow that Jamie appears to be wearing VR goggles. No low tech dog fights for him.

No modelling for me today, Mrs B is on holiday this week so I am treating her for a walk in Aden Country Park! Yesterday she got a walk along Arbroath beach, no ice-cream though as the queue was too big! Tomorrow she is getting taken to Glasgow to see Master B's laundry pile. I know how to show a gal a good time.

DB

• Haha 2

For today's holiday 'treat' Mrs B is getting taken to the local recycling centre. A particularly rare treat as it turns out because the local Council is trying to close all the recycling centres and now has so many weird rules, regulations and opening times that no-one ever knows if the places will be open and if they will actually be able to use them when they get there (this is what happens when we let unqualified, self promoting, do-gooders and yoons run local authorities).

Duncan B

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

For today's holiday 'treat' Mrs B is getting taken to the local recycling centre. A particularly rare treat as it turns out because the local Council is trying to close all the recycling centres and now has so many weird rules, regulations and opening times that no-one ever knows if the places will be open and if they will actually be able to use them when they get there (this is what happens when we let unqualified, self promoting, do-gooders and yoons run local authorities).

Duncan B

Have you been hanging about with Jamie lately? 'Cause I can hear his voice while reading that last sentence :D 

• Haha 3

The Typhoon has been put aside again until it learns to behave!

The cockpit has been completed, well 90% anyway. I have an Ultracast seat waiting at the Post Office. I was enjoying myself so much I forgot to take photos of it before I pressed on. 

IMG_4207-600x450.jpg

The lower fuselage fitted well with the aid of super glue. The wings needed 2 part epoxy to get a solid bond. The fit isn’t brilliant and will need some work at the wing roots but some milliput will sort the step. 

Some cockpit photos, my plan to pull the bulkhead into place worked well by the way. 

IMG_4210-600x450.jpg IMG_4211-600x450.jpg IMG_4208-600x450.jpg IMG_4209-600x450.jpg

and the other bits

IMG_4213-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1

Looking great Duncan. I remember putting some wire and other gubbins on the back of the engine 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Looking great Duncan. I remember putting some wire and other gubbins on the back of the engine 

I'm wondering if the back end of the engine should be the same grey as the reduction gear?

Duncan B

10 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I'm wondering if the back end of the engine should be the same grey as the reduction gear?

Duncan B

Here's an R-1830-90C

P1010026.jpg

P1010029.jpg

F4F-3_12320__ORD__Aug_16___1.jpg

I think that latter one may be a bit "modern" as the lackey with the spray gun has gone daft over the undercarriage so I'd be hesitant over following that blindly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Here's an R-1830-90C

P1010026.jpg

P1010029.jpg

F4F-3_12320__ORD__Aug_16___1.jpg

I think that latter one may be a bit "modern" as the lackey with the spray gun has gone daft over the undercarriage so I'd be hesitant over following that blindly.

That grey looks darker than the recommended colour too? I doubt the internals of the wheel bay would have been painted after the engine was fitted so will paint the back end as shown in the pictures. Cheers for that Jamie.

DB

p.s. I'm glad you didn't show me that until after I'd built up the engine or I would have been tempted to add the intake manifolds as well.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sovereignhobbies said:

You can't see much behind the engine once it's all in situ anyway!

True enough, I'd do it just to scare Col anyway! :alien:

DB

• Haha 1

The Post Office were rubbing their hands with delight when this little package arrived from Canada, £4 VAT and £8.50 handling charge, really?

IMG_4214-600x449.jpg

As we now know, even though the Vector set clearly says it is for the HobbyBoss kit, it is of limited use (as the rudders are too thin/short depending on which version you want to use) for the kit’s fin, hopefully the ailerons (from my first set) will fit the -4.

The Ultracast seats are little things of beauty (buy yours from Sovereign Hobbies in the U.K. if you don’t want to subsidise HMRC’s pirate ship!) and you get 2 in each pack. Had I known that I would have bought the version without seatbelts moulded in and saved myself a little more money by using the Seatbelts from the P/E set (I seem to be making these silly mistakes recently when buying online for myself, I think I’m out of practice!)

The pre war version 

IMG_4215-338x450.jpg

The later version

IMG_4217-338x450.jpg

Silly purchasing decisions aside I am happy with my little haul but I might see if I can swap one of my Vector resin sets for a set of Ultracast wheels with someone who has a Tamiya Wildcat in their stash :)

Duncan B

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Those seats look ace mate 

I absolutely love them - they were things I didn't know I needed until I used one for a demo build. I use them wherever I can now. Probably a waste of money if you use pilot figures to be honest, but I never use figures so the seat is the most prominent thing in the cockpit you can see:

Spitfire

resized_4543af46-a822-43ee-a3a1-cbf566b3

Hellcat

resized_09122bfb-a0cb-44ed-be27-4febfa05

Mustang

14bda108-5a47-4a7c-82bd-f711e31897e7.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, the Ultracast seats are the best I’ve seen so far. It might be a bit of a waste on the -4 with the wings folded though as they will block the view into the cockpit. 

I mentioned earlier that the wing joint was a bit ‘gappy’, particularly the underside. I have been slowly filling the gap with Mr Dissolved Putty (I should have used Milliput as it won’t shrink but I hate the mess when mixing it). The dissolved putty can shrink if it is applied too thick in one go so layering it is the way to go. Last night before bed I brush painted on some Ultimate grey primer to all the joints and left it to dry. This morning has been a serious rubbing back session which I have still to complete but here are some photos of my progress. 

IMG_4218-600x450.jpg IMG_4222-600x450.jpg IMG_4220-600x450.jpg IMG_4221-600x450.jpg IMG_4223-600x450.jpg IMG_4219-600x450.jpg

I will brush some more Ultimate primer onto the wing roots to check my progress but the rest is looking ok. It’s worth spending the time and effort doing this because the main colour will be silver which will show up every imperfection once painted. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

Another brush painted coat of Ultimate primer on the wing roots to give me a better idea of how I’m progressing. 

The right hand side that had the large step looks ok from above.

IMG_4224-600x450.jpg

And underneath looks a lot better now too

IMG_4227-600x450.jpg

The left hand side, which was the better of the 2, still needs a little more work on top.

IMG_4226-600x450.jpg IMG_4225-600x450.jpg

Underneath looks ok though

IMG_4230-600x450.jpg

I’ll let that lot dry off properly then will apply some Mr Surfacer 500 where needed then cut it back again and, hopefully, that will be enough to let me get a first coat of primer sprayed on (tomorrow).

Duncan B

• Like 2