GWH 1/48 Sukhoi Su-35S Flanker E

Not a lot of progress to report due to being forced to carry out gardening diy over the last 2 days. I have managed to escape further horticultural torment by cutting my thumbs off after discovering the dog was exempt due to not having opposable thumbs.

I have managed to modify part of the nozzle assembly as per Yufei Mao’s build. The Su-35S has vectoring exhausts and the kit does allow them to swivel but apparently not to the full extent so he suggests sanding off part of the moulding. You can see a before and after example in the photo.

IMG_8777_HEIC-600x570.jpg

Taking that raised step off makes a big difference apparently.

In other news I have taken the plunge and purchased the same Begemot decal sheet as Darren. A lot of the generic markings from the sheet will be used on my other Flankers too.

IMG_8770_HEIC-384x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Drichc these arrived today, thank you very much. They look brilliant and I have enough for the Su-35 and 2x Su-27s too (so it looks like my Flanker collection will have to expand).

IMG_8795_HEIC-M.jpg

I have been pottering around today, I've painted the insides of the undercarriage doors a bright red, I did the Su-27UB doors too while I had the airbrush loaded (at this rate I'd be as well just starting the UB). I have got some black primer on the exhaust nozzle parts and will do some of the painting before I assemble them completely. The anti-glare panel in the cockpit got a blast of black too so I should be good to go ahead and put the cockpit in then close up the fuselage halves.

Duncan B

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

More random happenings, the cockpit is now fitted into the top half. I mucked up somehow so it’s a bit gappy but the seat will hide most of it later.

IMG_8796_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8797_HEIC-600x450.jpg

The refuelling probe has to go in before the fuselage is closed up, shame because it’ll be a wee sod to mask off.

I am now working on the intakes. I’m currently trying to figure out how to paint and mask off the intake lips. I think it’s going to be easier to do that before I put all the bits together.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 5
34 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Do the intake lips first not last like I did !! 

Yeah, it looks like it’ll be easier to do it all first, mask off then build it. I’m actually thinking about painting all the metallic bits before putting the engine pods on too.

Duncan B

“We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”, I know just how they feel. The fuselage parts are finally glued together.

IMG_8801_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8802_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8804_HEIC-600x450.jpg

It was quite nerve racking but everything just clips together without a fuss. It’s not 100% perfect as there are some gaps along the LERXs but they will fill without any hassle.

IMG_8803_HEIC-600x463.jpg

I just hope everything is as fully pushed together as they need to be. My heart was beating like a hammer during the gluing, it would have been very easy to make a right mess but (as far as I’m aware) there aren’t any gluey thumb prints all over it.

Duncan B

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

I’ve filled the gaps around the fuselage joints, just ran some Mr dissolved putty in then cleaned up and finished off with some Mr Base White 1000 (which still needs flattened back).

IMG_8806_HEIC-600x398.jpg

I’ve also prepared a set of Rich’s 3D printed intake guide vanes and 1st stage compressors for painting.

IMG_8807_HEIC-600x366.jpg

Most of the day has been taken up with going over a lot of the rivet detail to make them a bit more pronounced. The surface detail of the kit is amazing but some of the rivets are quite shallow and would probably get lost under a coat of primer and paint. One rivet at a time! Here’s one of the stabs part way through the process.

IMG_8805_HEIC-436x450.jpg

Lots more to do but I’m not in a rush.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Started assembling the exhausts this afternoon. From my own experience I know that jet-pipes are dirty and dark places so I haven’t done too much other than add a silver dry brushing to the black paint.

IMG_8809_HEIC-600x586.jpg

That’ll probably be the last time anyone looks up there anyway.

At the other end of the money into heat machine I have given the front end a quick blast of a light burnt metal colour, again, not much is going to be seen up the intakes anyway.

IMG_8811_HEIC-600x436.jpg

I’ve primed the intakes and will get the back end of them painted but won’t be able to finish them until the Akan paints arrive. I shall have to work on some of the other bits in the meantime.

Duncan B

• Like 6

Some of GWH's paint colour call outs are a bit dubious, they use Mr Color and Vallejo numbers in the instructions so call for you to mix a lot of colours too. I don't do paint mixing, mostly because I suffer from the debilitating affliction known as LMS* but also because I might want to build another one of these further down the line and want to be able to get a good match with the previous builds. Yufei does say in his build that the paint instructions were cobbled together in 3 days so some of the call outs are incorrect. With all this in mind I went and looked at some photos and decided that the colour used in the wheel wells is a good match for the colour in the intakes aft of the lip (which is the exterior colour).

A quick squirt of MRP-49 and then fit the IGVs and compressors and this is what we have...

IMG_8812_HEIC-L.jpg

I managed to use the correct parts and to get them orientated correctly (I think!).

IMG_8813_HEIC-L.jpg

Take a good look before the lid goes on because.....

IMG_8815_HEIC-L.jpg

....they are going to disappear, which is why I wasn't too fussy about filling the joints in the intake either (that's the LMS kicking in again!). Once the Akan paints arrive I'll be able to finish off painting the lip of the intakes and then get the intake ramps fitted.

Duncan B

*Lazy Modeller's Syndrome

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1