GWH 1/48 Sukhoi Su-35S Flanker E

I have finally given in and have taken the plunge with the Great Wall Hobby Su-35S. It has been in the stash since it was released back in 2018 and I have been too intimidated by it's size and impressive details to actually make a start on it until now.

IMG_8721_HEIC-L.jpg

Mine is one of the initial batch of 2999 that included a tinted canopy as well as the clear one found in later batches. Unfortunately I gave the clear canopy away to a customer who broke his clear one and I thought I'd easily get another from GWH but their after sales service is non existent so I'd better hope I don't damage the one I have.

I have ordered Akan paints for the camo scheme direct from the manufacturer in Russia today so we'll see if and when they arrive. Other than that I'm not planning on spending any money on after market bits, well maybe a paint mask for that precious canopy, the detail of the kit looks like it doesn't need any help from Mr Eduard or Mr Pavla anyway.

I hope this doesn't become a slow burner of a build, if I get bogged down, hopefully I'll be able to do a "Darren" on it and blitz through.

Duncan B

• Like 7

I've had Yufei Mao's build of this kit book marked since 2018 (Yufei was one of the main developers for this kit and is an excellent modeller too). I hadn't looked at it for quite some time and had forgotten how good a modeller he is. If I can incorporate even half of the details he added then I'll be over the moon. Anyhow he does pass on some handy tips to make the build a little easier too so I'll definitely be following those.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I spent the first part of today doing some prep work, following tips gleaned from Yufei’s build. So that included drilling the holes out for the pylons, thinning down the exhausts, trimming the location tabs for the intakes and sanding back the fuselage where the exhausts go as the plastic in that area is a bit thick and pushes the exhausts out of line if left alone apparently. The other job that took a bit of time was cleaning up the moulding marks on the intake parts. These are slide moulded and have a slight ridge running along each side of these parts so needed cleaning.

Before

IMG_8731_HEIC-600x450.jpg

After

IMG_8732_HEIC-600x450.jpg

Once I got bored with all that I moved on to step 1 of the build, the cockpit. Not one of my favourite parts of any build normally however the detail of the parts is impressive.

Just deciding on the correct colour was a challenge but I decided to go with MRP’s “Sukhoi Cockpit Blue-Grey” after checking some references.

IMG_8729_HEIC-600x450.jpg

Close enough for me and once it got a gloss coat and oil wash it was a better match as we’ll see.

I’ve done as much as I can be bothered with on the tub.

IMG_8735_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8736_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8737_HEIC-600x450.jpg

I still have to finish the seat and the sides to complete Step 1.

Duncan B

• Like 8

Looking at the photos again I see that I should really pay more attention to the reference photos. I had painted the throttle and the joystick blue but then over painted them black as per Yufei's build and the red lever to the right of the throttles the instructions said to paint silver! Oh well, it's only a quick swipe of a paint brush to sort that out.

Duncan B

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Try not to spill lacquer over it, or get a big gluey thumbprint or some such Duncanism along the way :D

You must have an Airbnb style camera installed in my modelling room! This morning I managed to knock over a Tamiya Extra Thin bottle on the desk. Luckily the cap was partially screwed on but what little did escape splashed either side of the cockpit and beside sprue C which was on the desk. Not a single spot actually landed on the plastic but it was a close thing.

Good to know that it's a good build, I hadn't heard anything bad about it I must admit.

Duncan B

• Sad 2

Every time I look at this kit two things cross my mind. The first thing is how big it is and the second is how brilliant the surface detail is. This is a mind blowing kit.

It dawned on me right at the start that this is not a kit that should be taken lightly. I will need to be organised to get the best out of it so last night I went through the instructions yet again and marked out the paint colour (that I have) for each part. The call outs are for Mr Color but I am using a mix of Brands hence my making notes.

This is the pile that will be getting sprayed MRP-49 tomorrow. It’s not quite everything as the fuselage where the roof of the wheel wells are will get some too.

IMG_8740_HEIC-338x450.jpg

I have also finished the cockpit tub (other than a Matt coat on the seat). I haven’t glued the seat in yet.

IMG_8741_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8742_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8743_HEIC-600x498.jpg IMG_8744_HEIC-600x450.jpg

The HUD will be fitted much nearer the end of the build.

I am trying to mix the jobs up each day otherwise it would be one continuous round of cleaning and preparing parts for each step. It looks like a lot of the detail painting can be done with the parts still on the sprues if you split them into smaller sections.

Duncan B

• Like 9

That's a fabulous bit of cockpit work Duncan, especially from someone that doesn't like working on them - the seat is especially good. 

That is a nice looking kit, the detail is lovely. 

Referring back to your OP. I can totally understand the intimidation of these big kits. I have Tamiya's 1/48 F-14A and P-38 in the stash, along with Kittyhawk's 1/48 SU-17. I really want to build them but every time I open the box I get scared off - Yes I am a wimp! 

• Like 1

Looking really good there Duncan.

Two sets of fans are sat on my desk, and I’ll run another set off tomorrow to cover the single seater when you get it. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work. But best of all it’s not a bloody Spitfire.:stirthepot:

rich

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mediocre Modeller said:

That's a fabulous bit of cockpit work Duncan, especially from someone that doesn't like working on them - the seat is especially good. 

That is a nice looking kit, the detail is lovely. 

Referring back to your OP. I can totally understand the intimidation of these big kits. I have Tamiya's 1/48 F-14A and P-38 in the stash, along with Kittyhawk's 1/48 SU-17. I really want to build them but every time I open the box I get scared off - Yes I am a wimp! 

I think you just have to dive in. The Tamiya F-14 has a great reputation for having great engineering so being a good build.

52 minutes ago, Drichc said:

Looking really good there Duncan.

Two sets of fans are sat on my desk, and I’ll run another set off tomorrow to cover the single seater when you get it. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work. But best of all it’s not a bloody Spitfire.:stirthepot:

rich

Thanks very much Rich, I hope I can do them justice.

Duncan B

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

A million and one tiny pieces sprayed MRP-49. I'll not bore you with pictures, you'll just have to take my word for it that they have changed colour from grey plastic to grey paint!

Duncan B

Ah but is that Military Grey to Ocean Grey or the other way around..? (Bad Red Dwarf reference there) 

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)

I am in awe of the detail moulded into this kit, simply stunning.

IMG_8747_HEIC-600x450.jpg

Those 2 little squares to the right of centre are no more than 1mm across and they have ‘bolts’ on each corner! This will be inside the main wheel bay.

The other main wheel bay, check those stiffening plates out.

IMG_8749_HEIC-600x450.jpg

An overview of all the bits that go into the wheel bays. Some of the pipe work is moulded separately for ease of painting.

IMG_8752_HEIC-600x344.jpg IMG_8753_HEIC-600x483.jpg IMG_8756_HEIC-600x407.jpg IMG_8754_HEIC-600x373.jpg

This is the fuel filling point in the nose wheel bay.

IMG_8751_HEIC-600x410.jpg

I’m convinced you could unscrew it and connect up the bowser.

I’m loving this kit so far. I haven’t been this excited by a kit for ages.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 10
34 minutes ago, Mediocre Modeller said:

That is some gorgeous detail and some very tight paintwork - nicely done.  

It's almost impossible not to do a good job, the kit parts are so good.

After 2 days of painting it's time to install the pip work and then fit the wheel bays into the lower fuselage part.

IMG_8757_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8758_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8759_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8760_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8761_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8762_HEIC-M.jpg

I'm now pottering about with the next few stages cleaning up the fuselage parts, the fins and stuff.

Duncan B

• Like 7