Sign in to follow this  
Yorki1960

Botswana Strikemasters

I have just been reading Junes issue of Airfix magazine and there is a nice build of Fly's 1/48 scale Jet Provost TMk5/5a.  I was looking at the decal sheet and low and behold there are markings for a Botswana aircraft and the small ice blue/white/black triangle (part 10) has small black lines at each of the 3 points.

Well here in lies a tail .............

During the 80's/90's I worked in the design department at BAe in Warton, and was involved with getting these (memory lapse here) I think ex Kuwait'y Strikemasters in a fit state to fly because someone had sold them to Botswana.  One of the many jobs I had to do was to get the paint scheme and national insignia drawn up and approved.  Some years earlier bulldogs had been sold, off I went rummaging in the dusty archives office to see if I could find a drawing. Bingo found what I needed a cammo and insignia drawing (and lots of other very interesting stuff like piston provost and bulldog drawings).

So off on my merry way, went to draw up my Strikmaster accordingly.  I also thought it would be a good idea to draw the triangle up full size and stick it on a Jet Provost that was in the training hanger. My boss thought it was good too so we had it photographed to be sent off with the drawing for approval.

Well blow me down when we got the approved documentation back the fuse triangle had lines at each point ...... anyone guessed what's coming next ...... yep those little lines are where I used masking tape to stick the triangle onto the fuse..... hahahahaha.......

Another note whilst these aircraft flew from warton we had to cover up the Botswana Defence Force lettering on the fuse with brown paper and more masking tape because of some political issues.

Edited by Yorki1960
  • Like 5