dr_g

Paper Ship: SMS Emden (1910), 1:250

9 hours ago, Yorki1960 said:

How did you shape the part on the bottom of the funnel?

Scored the tangent lines at the radii edges, and formed the radii themselves by rolling around the end of a cocktail stick. After glueing together, I flattened the central panels if they were slightly bowed.

Did some more work on the front deck-houses, and the beginnings of the bridge structure:

k0Og9467.jpg

The deck is cambered, and slopes up towards the bows, so I tried to get the tops of the structures as horizontal as possible using a steel rule balanced in the roofs, and another Perspex rule to sight against:

mJKN2az6.jpg

8v9NvBOH.jpg

This way, I can keep everything within the levelling limits of blobs of PVA as I build the structures up.

• Like 1

On to the main bridge structure. It’s a bit of an animal. The upper and lower surfaces are curved, and double skinned. I opted to glaze the wheelhouse windows with thin acetate, so they are effectively triple skinned. After carefully cutting out the printed windows from both skins, I sandwiched the acetate. This made forming the curves more difficult. The lower curves are defined by a deck former, and the mid deck. I made a wooden jig to hold the curved bits in place while the PVA set:

CLoNhQ3f.jpg

Same with the mid deck, but this also needed weighting to the lower deck house:

ESJYKNip.jpg

TvHZmHfs.jpg

The reason I opted to glaze the wheel house, was that the wheel and binnacle are in there, and partially visible:

PP61Vl7p.jpg

bpCyou8V.jpg

With these in place, the upper deck house could be fitted (front and rear is indicated on the tabs). And yes, the main mast is going to be very tight fit in there...

IkenG6jm.jpg

Then the roof piece could be fitted. I wasn’t too happy with the fit around the join, nor with the design of the mid deck join - there’s a slice of deck visible where it should be covered. I opted to add two thin bands of grey paper to neaten these up. Call it a bodge, or modeller’s license, but either way it looks better to my eyes:

zxsiAWqG.jpg

Still a load more detail to go onto the bridge, but at least the main bits are there and aligned.

• Like 2

Added the steps, the outer deck houses and some of the railings:

sCuY4PJ3.jpg

OhkjAeOt.jpg

Still quite a bit to add to it, but the bridge at least is getting there now.

Spent a few dull evenings assembling steps, literally step-by-step:

6KR7alBJ.jpg

And fitted them among some of the more complicated rear deck railings. Also fitted the compass binnacle tower:

tdtsS2ak.jpg

Wj6AanQP.jpg

Yztmq5oZ.jpg

• Like 1

Spent a long time making tiny structures, and adding them to the rear deck and bridge area, unfortunately it doesn’t look a great deal different:

6zp6Hb5v.jpg

PMuwoxSe.jpg

KRrRFND8.jpg

q44WRs6G.jpg

The ship’s bell in metallic paper is a nice touch:

OZKB2c0x.jpg

43 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

That bell looks good, what's with the numbers? Is there another part to fix there? 

Yes, those are the footprints for parts 53f and 53g. Same on the other side.

• Like 1