dr_g

Paper Ship: SMS Emden (1910), 1:250

A quick trip to Hamburg this week saw me getting a new kit from the Maritime Museum. This one’s a bit bigger than my previous three, at 477 mm long. It’s also rated “Sehr Schwierig”, so in theory a bit more tricky to build too:

84tlNGBq.jpg

HG5Nhuzv.jpg

Also got the laser-cut set:

DAARaCpJ.jpg

• Like 4

I have the plastic 1/350 version so I'll be following as usual.

I just love these early cruisers with vertical funnels and casemate guns. They have a charm of their own!

• Like 1

Made a start on the hull sub-structure tonight:

PzeEvuOi.jpg

It’s made in two halves and assembled with overlapping joints:

P04Z0BNg.jpg

Must admit, with previous builds I’ve been super accurate with this part of the structure, and taken hours to get things perfect, only to have to cut and shut the cladding panels to fit. With this one I’ve taken a less onerous approach and stuck it all together by eye. It’s a bit of a whopper compared with the others; this is current progress with the Corvette for scale:

kVfIgDYm.jpg

• Like 3

Measure twice cut once. But if it's all by eye then blink twice cut once. Good luck with this this one.

• Like 2

Made some progress with this one by cutting out a few of the deck pieces and dry fitting them:

gQH8t2lz.jpg

• Like 4

The bulkheads and main decks are glued in place now. The rear upper deck is being test fitted:

OQNvd80R.jpg

I can’t help thinking the tolerance stack on all these pieces is going to lead to a few headaches very soon.

• Like 3

Test fit of the two-piece hull (stern section) seems to look ok. I might glue all of it together, and to the rear deck and slide it over the sub-structure complete:

nWKiQywY.jpg

Strange the stern doesn’t match the frame at all, but I’m only bothered about the fit on the outside so it’s fine:

06p3Zbwq.jpg

• Like 4

Looking great and a real trial of patience again. I don't know how you guys do it but I'm glad you do 

• Like 1

Great to watch this coming together. Precise & accurate as is your trademark which is an approach that appeals for me. I realise the glass offers an extremely flat surface to aid the build, will it also be the finished base?

• Like 1

One thing that can spoil a paper model is white visible on the edges of coloured parts. It’s usually neater to paint all edges and visible sub-structure before assembly. That’s been tonight’s job on the hull:

ipx2eI36.jpg

• Like 3

One disadvantage of using pva glue is that it can warp the larger, unsupported edges. I’ve straightened some of the more critical deck and bulkhead edges with balsa strip:

HkY1Gd0s.jpg

These anchor housings fit behind the hull sides. Good job I spotted them at this stage - they’re not mentioned in the instructions... wthvljTo.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/04/2018 at 08:51, Toolmaker said:

Great to watch this coming together. Precise & accurate as is your trademark which is an approach that appeals for me. I realise the glass offers an extremely flat surface to aid the build, will it also be the finished base?

Thanks!

The finished base will be wood, as with my other three paper ships.