Please bear with me, this is only the 1,347th model I've made and I've only been at it for forty years.

I wanted to make a Spitfire but the new Edward kit looked too fiddly and they missed off a load of surface detail - but then I found this one, which is awesome and has great surface detail! It came in a polythene bag too which was easier for me to open.

I used the Edward etch set for the cockpit, it was a bit tricky but I found that by cutting the bits off the frame they fit better.

Some of the kit parts were a bit reluctant to fit so I used more glue which solved the problem. Someone said my model has gaps but they are one the actual aircraft, I can assure you.

Being a stickler for accuracy, I mixed the colours from enamels and acyrlics, but they went a bit gooey.  I painted the model with an Iwata Aztek airbrush - frankly it's such a rubbish airbrush, it's made my model look like it was brush painted with a hairy brush by hand.

Some of the stickers were reluctant to stay put and I ended up fixing them in place with using superglue. I found that when some of them got wet, they floated off the paper - nightmare!

The potato is for scale - and to show that I own a potato.

Overall I'm really pleased with this one, it looks like a Spitfire (and not a potato - look at the potato), and considering the last model I made resulted in a minor war in French Polynesia, I think this to be a job well done. I am thinking of entering this model at the IMPS Nationals at Stoneleigh.

Let me know what you think.

About the model, not the potato.

56765327-649E-4A16-BA99-AF9C30E2A893_zps

4D4E7C75-F58E-433E-80C8-3201019B3302_zps

Edited by Jonathan Mock ジョナサン モック
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would suggest not using a potato for a scale guide as there are many types and sizes of potato. For instance while this potato looks delicious I have no idea what its size is compared to potatoes of the same type. I basically have no real idea of the true size of the model still.

BTW, sorry to hear about the airbrush woes. Maybe chek your oaint mixes and psi? 

Cheers!

Mike

OMG, I've learnt so much in one thread.

Murcans like potatoes, but only if they are bigger than spitfires. Explains a certain ones waistline:ph34r:

but seriously do not resuscitate your skills is awesome, but the other bloke is right, a good dose of mash weathering would finish it off nicely.

Edited by Drichc
  • Like 2

Looks fine to me, but I would point out that you've missed off a roundel on the lower wing. Try paying a bit more attention to the instructions in future, and you'll soon come on in leaps and bounds. Model number 1348 will probably be a lot better...

Don't be disheartened.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Mock ジョナサン モック said:

The roundel is there, I can see it.

Wrong one. You're looking at the roundel that is there...try looking at the one that isn't. Unless you put it on the inside of the wing, in which case I refer you back to my previous comment about reading the instructions:

motivatorb3734f540f314597f3d3c4c6bf.jpg

Dean

• Like 3

Oh, the Idaho spud is long and green, you coat it with butter and sour cream.  It comes from the earth and the mud. ain't never been a tater like the Idaho spud.  (Sung to the tune of "The Tennesee Stud")

19 hours ago, Plastic Mangler said:

I would have used the potato to weather it

I tried that once, but some of the weathering peeled off 
Thought the chips were good though, especially as I used the salt technique

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walrus said:

I tried that once, but some of the weathering peeled off 
Thought the chips were good though, especially as I used the salt technique

Oh Dear Oh Dear,

But if you use bacon for scaling purposes, it gets tricky, because a) it depends on the size of the pig and b) it depends on whther the pig was Danish or not.
Best stick to fruit and veg IMHO

You know where you are with fruit and veg.

• Like 1

Well WORDS ALMOST FAIL ME but seeing as how you can't hear me from Straya i'll type a response

Everyone seems to have missed the HUGE error here

An unwashed potato ? how on earth are we to take this man seriously ? just gross forgetfulness 

And where are the plans we can compare this to for accuracy ? ( of the potato THE POTATO !!!!!!!) :2guns:

Good grief this is a huge Fail

AND he didnt mention what model kit he used for the spud either !!!!

The horror...The horror

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Well WORDS ALMOST FAIL ME but seeing as how you can't hear me from Straya i'll type a response

Everyone seems to have missed the HUGE error here

An unwashed potato ? how on earth are we to take this man seriously ? just gross forgetfulness 

And where are the plans we can compare this to for accuracy ? ( of the potato THE POTATO !!!!!!!) :2guns:

Good grief this is a huge Fail

AND he didnt mention what model kit he used for the spud either !!!!

The horror...The horror

Bloody eye counters.  They are a blight on the hobby! :P

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1