Sign in to follow this  
BlackMike Models

The cat from Hell or how not to restore a Mojo!

Does anyone remember this quote of mine from Jamie’s Hellcat build this time last year?

“Mine's heading for the bin, made a rookie mistake with an aerosol acrylic gloss and have ruined the paint underneath. I did try to polish out the damage but there is too much of it in too many difficult places to make it worthwhile. Slightly more mojoless than when I started.

Duncan B”

well to cut a long story short I tagged onto the back of Jamie’s Hellcat WIP last year to try to restore my faded Mojo. Things were going splendidly, paint job done, just a coat of gloss clear before the decalling, weathering and Home for tea and biscuits. Unfortunately I tried to rush the clear coat by using an aerosol and it went from this

IMG_2822-600x450.jpg

to this all over the place

IMG_2827-600x450.jpg

A year has past an my Mojo found its kickstart with other projects so it’s time to get this thing sorted and back on track. 

Lots of sanding back of the clear coat at the time left the paint distressed to say the least. The obvious thing to do would have been to strip it right back and start again but I didn’t have another set of Montex Masks and didn’t fancy redoing the star and bars freehand. So a rescue job was required with the worst affected areas being sanded back to plastic and patched in with other areas just getting flatted back to give the new paint something to cling to (this kit is going to be a 6 footer at best!).

IMG_3573-600x450.jpg IMG_3581-600x450.jpg

The other intermediate blue areas got a dusting over at this point too. 

Unfortunately I didn’t have another mask for the ‘8’ so had to make one. 

IMG_3588-600x450.jpg IMG_3592-600x450.jpg

Pooh, but this just doesn’t want to go easy! A small bit of the intermediate blue has lifted again. It’ll get a touch up by brush later. 

Time to sort out the Wings. Thankfully I notice the paint reaction after painting only the top of one wing so the lower sides and the other wing were not affected but I’ve decided to redo both top sides to keep the colour matching. Markings remasked and a darker blue preshade applied. 

IMG_3589-600x450.jpg IMG_3590-600x450.jpg

So that’s where I am up to, next is to repaint the wing tops. 

Duncan B

• Like 4

Wings repainted, still need a bit of fading and stuff (as in it needs something but I can't decide what yet).

IMG_3595-L.jpg

I have done some fading on the fuselage and I'm quite happy with it now.

IMG_3596-L.jpg

IMG_3599-L.jpg

IMG_3600-L.jpg

The whole thing will be getting a gloss coat (oh no not again!) then some panel wash, flat coat and all that stuff but I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to figure out how to fade the start and bar markings, I know what I want it to look like though so that's a start. (like the one on the wing that has the mask on it)

Gloss coat tomorrow, I'm not going to use anything aggressive this time so will give the Mission Models Clear Gloss a go after testing it on the paint mule first of course.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3

I had a 'day off' yesterday to drive through a blizzard to collect my son from Glasgow for the holidays so nothing done yesterday. However while Mrs B is out working and said son is still in his pit I broke out the airbrush once again and set about adding some more fading to the hapless Hellcat. It possibly looks a bit over done in the photos but it will settle down a bit once the dreaded (and almost guaranteed disastrous) gloss coat goes on for the weathering wash.

IMG_3612-L.jpg

IMG_3615-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3

Duncan Nice save and this Zero Killer is looking really great. Excellent job on the weathering :)

• Thanks 1

If there's one thing I like about your frequent updates Duncan it's your constant positivity and self-confidence. No wonder you're such a prolific producer of finished models :D 

Seriously though, all joking aside, glad to see this one moving forward again in fine style. Ready for the club night next Tuesday perhaps? No pressure ;) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

If there's one thing I like about your frequent updates Duncan it's your constant positivity and self-confidence. No wonder you're such a prolific producer of finished models :D 

Seriously though, all joking aside, glad to see this one moving forward again in fine style. Ready for the club night next Tuesday perhaps? No pressure ;) 

I hope so.

DB

• Like 1

No gloss coat done yet, for some reason I keep finding excuses to put it off! Anyhow the Star and Bar markings all looked pristine and too clean just like clean freshly painted markings (because they are) while the rest of the kit looks a little weather beaten (or is supposed to at least). This needed sorting out so out with some very thin dark grey.

IMG_3682-L.jpg

The photos don't really show it off too well but when I get the big camera out it'll be more obvious.

I have also painted the propeller, the chipping looks a bit too bright but I'll tone that down next. (I blame Jamie, which is my default position on most things modelling, as he told me Hellcats usually looked beaten up anyway).

IMG_3683-L.jpg

Those who are still following this might notice I've added the undercarriage doors. This is where I'm at now, I still need to either apply a gloss coat to then add a traditional panel line wash or use a different method for that, apply a flat coat to tone everything down and make the paint look more Hellcat as they were very matte from what I can see, add exhaust streaks and general weathering and also add some chips and scuffs to it. These are all the processes I enjoy the most as the kit seems to come alive during these final steps.

IMG_3681-L.jpg

Duncan B

I forgot to show you the Top Hat (small things and all that)! I'm quite pleased with that (and now I see that I have still to paint the wing walkways too.

IMG_3685-L.jpg

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

I have also painted the propeller, the chipping looks a bit too bright but I'll tone that down next. (I blame Jamie, which is my default position on most things modelling, as he told me Hellcats usually looked beaten up anyway).

17 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Looking great Jamie 

1 minute ago, Jockster said:

Same goes for you, Duncan!

Seems only fair that if Jamie is to get the blame for most things he should get some of the credit as well :laughing:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Sorry Duncan 

Jamie is a fine name, very heroic in a Walter Scott kind of way. It could have been worse, you could have called me Mike!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Jamie is a fine name, very heroic in a Walter Scott kind of way. It could have been worse, you could have called me Mike!

Sure you've been called plenty worse names Duncan :) 

• Haha 1

After a few days break I’m back at the bench with a view to getting this one finished off. 

The dreaded gloss coat awaits! This is where it all went wrong last year. I couldn’t face it happening again so with baited breath it’s on with a gloss coat. 

This is as much as I dare go as I can see small areas starting to react again, gulp! Hopefully it’ll be enough to take a panel line wash. 

IMG_3699-600x450.jpg IMG_3698-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1