Happy Birthday Betty Windsor's Airline

The Typhoon cockpit is almost complete. The seat is in, just the rear shelf and the HUD to fit before nailing it shut.

IMG_3957-600x450.jpg IMG_3956-600x450.jpg

IMG_3954-600x450.jpg

I have learned my lessons from previous builds where I’ve had stuff appear on the inside of the canopy during the paint job so I’m leaving the canopy off for as long as I can this time.

There won’t be any more progress now until I get home from the Gloucester.

Duncan B

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Looking great Duncan.i don't blame you on the canopy 

I'm still debating whether to glue the front on and mask off the rest or to temporarily glue the whole canopy on with white glue for the paint job. Of course the canopy is like every other part of this kit and isn't a perfect fit so should really be glued and gaps filled before painting but I am very conscious of the mess that has appeared on my last 3 canopies during painting (a very fine clouding which wiped straight off with a dry cotton bud but required the canopies to be removed to do that). It's Catch 22 I reckon.

Oh and another thing, the canopy has a ridge down the centre of it that needs polishing off. I guess I should sort that out before anything else.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models

Just a quick update as I haven't had time to do very much but I have removed the mould line from the canopy. It sanded/polished off no problem but the Humbrol Clear (I don't know why I still have a bottle of this stuff as it is liquid sabotage and I should have ditched it after it's first terrorist attack on one of my builds!) happily stripped the black paint off the canopy frame and then proceeded to dry in blotches instead of a nice smooth coating. That is now sorted and the canopy glued in place.

I'll re-apply the canopy masking and then it's painting time. I am still deciding whether to paint the fancy spine first then mask it or to paint the boring grey all over then mask and paint the spine. Which will be easier is the real question?

Duncan B 

How difficult can it be, one main colour all over? Have it done in no time, you think!

You may have guessed already that the paint job hasn’t gone to plan. I used Hataka Paints acrylics and can safely say I wish I hadn’t. Very inconsistent, drying on the tip every 2 minutes and rough finish. When I went to polish it back to smooth it off it came off in lumps. I should have used my Mr Color Barley Grey. 

IMG_3981-600x450.jpg

It looks ok from a distance but closer in you can see where the roughness was. 

IMG_3984-600x450.jpg

and where it hasn’t stuck to the primer. 

IMG_3983-600x450.jpg

Another thing is that the paint stayed tacky for ages afterwards. I am in 2 minds whether to give the Hataka another go (maybe add a little flow improver into the mix?) or to go over it with Mr Hobby instead. It took ages to flatten off all the rough patches and I really don’t want to be doing that again. 

Duncan B

29 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I'd stick to Mr colour if I were you. Hataka never worked for me either 

I threw the first ones I got straight in the bin. To be fair to the newer ones they seem to work better but there isn’t much that can better Mr Color (Mr Paint is brilliant stuff too).

I digress, I have persevered with the Hataka on this occasion as I like the colour match. I have given the Tiffie a second coat, mixing some Vallejo Flow Improver in with the mix and it worked much better. Even the drying time has improved over the paint/Thinner mix. 

IMG_3986-600x450.jpg IMG_3988-600x450.jpg

I will leave it to dry/cure overnight before touching it again. I will have to mask off to paint the spine so I hope it cures properly. 

Duncan B

Ha-ha,the joys of acrylics................................................................................NOT.

No wonder I won't use it(I am a professional sprayer),it never goes through my airbrushes never mind my "proper" Devilbisses.

What kit is that Tiff.Dunc?,it doesn't look a bad model("hard" hat now donnedxD).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Ha-ha,the joys of acrylics................................................................................NOT.

No wonder I won't use it(I am a professional sprayer),it never goes through my airbrushes never mind my "proper" Devilbisses.

What kit is that Tiff.Dunc?,it doesn't look a bad model("hard" hat now donnedxD).

I am not fond of the water based stuff (give me lacquers any day) but have this Hataka Modern RAF set and the colours do seem to be a good match so have pressed on regardless.

This is the Hasegawa 1/72 kit, not as good a fit as I would have expected from them but it looks nice once together.

Duncan B

• Like 1

After yesterday’s moaning about the Hataka paints I thought a slight deviation from the path was called for as I have been unjustly over critical of the paints instead of the painter. 

This morning I have had another go at spraying the Hataka paints. Baring in mind that the most common cause of problems when airbrushing is insufficient thinning of the paints (closely followed by incorrect/inadequate cleaning afterwards!) I made up a batch of Hataka Dark Sea Grey using more thinners and much more flow improver. The paint was past the ‘semi skimmed milk’ consistency I would normally use and looked too thin to be any use. Firstly I tested the mix on a paint mule and applied it in a very wet coat. Much to my surprise it covered all manner of previous paints and didn’t run. It dried very quickly too. 

IMG_3989-600x450.jpg IMG_3990-600x450.jpg

So onto a kit I have been working on for a little while, ahem! This already had some of the Hataka paint applied previously but not completed. 

IMG_3992-600x380.jpg

I didn’t spray as wet a coat as the mule got but still wetter than I would normally spray. It covered perfectly with no roughness and during the whole process I only had to clean the needle tip once which was after I had stopped for a few minutes to change between the mule and the Toom. 

My conclusion is that yesterday I didn’t have the mix right. I hadn’t thinned it enough nor had enough flow improver in the mix and I should have been spraying wetter coats. 

My apologies to Hataka. Normal programming will now continue. This post has been brought to you by the National Lazy Modellers Procrastination Board. 

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shoot the man said so shoot I did. Mission Models RAF Middle Stone up first. 

IMG_3995-600x304.jpg

Xtradecal do say that they don’t think the colours on the real thing match the stated colours very well and I have to agree. 

IMG_3996-600x450.jpg

That doesn’t look the same at all, in fact it looks a lot more like RLM79! 

IMG_3997-600x450.jpg IMG_3998-600x334.jpg

We all knew Mr Color would get a look in at some point didn’t we. Who knows what I’m going to use for the other colour now  

Duncan B

I was up early this morning so continued with the masking and painting. 

I decided on Tamiya’s comically named Flat Earth (I don’t think they are trying to tell us anything significant other than the colour and sheen) XF-52. It isn’t exactly right but tones nicely with the other (not exactly right) colour. 

IMG_4001-600x450.jpg IMG_4004-600x450.jpg

I have lost some paint to lifting with the masking tape, despite having taken most of the tackiness off prior to alloying it, but should be able to sort it easily enough. 

IMG_4003-600x450.jpg IMG_4005-600x450.jpg

I was expecting all the paint on the fuselage to lift so consider this only a minor irritant. I have more masking to do around the exhausts so there is still time!

I now have to find another grey to use for the radome and leading edges. I have read that they were all painted Barley grey but weathered differently. I’m not so sure as this particular aircraft was photographed straight out of the paintshop and the difference is subtle but is visible.

Duncan B

• Like 1

There doesn’t look like much has changed but I’ve been at this all day. Lots of masking for 5 minute spray jobs. 

IMG_4006-600x450.jpg IMG_4008-600x450.jpg

The radome has been sprayed Mr Color Medium Grey then dusted over with the original colour to tone it down. The rear end was masked off for the matte Aluminium, what a fiddly masking job that was. I’ve fixed the pealing paint on the fin and added a grey panel on the spine that all the photos show but the Xtradecal instructions don’t. That doesn’t sound a lot for a solid days work, oh and I used some of the spare mixed paint for this

IMG_4009-600x450.jpg

Not part of the group build but proof that I am still working on those 2 Phantoms from 2014!

Thats it for tonight, there’s a Cup Final on tomorrow and then it’s my Brother’s 40 Wedding anniversary party so I don’t expect much progress for the rest of the weekend ;)

Duncan B

• Like 1

My misery with clear gloss coats continues. I never used to have any problems and am still using the same brand of paint so am at a loss to explain. Anyway I have got a gloss coat of sorts on after having to cut back my first attempt. I’ll give it a day or so to fully cure so in the meantime it’s time to start on my Tempest.

I have cut the main parts off the sprues and have painted the cockpit. 

IMG_4010-338x450.jpg

I will be making the series 1 Tempest of Roly Beamont. 

IMG_4011-600x441.jpg

This aircraft was a series 1 so had the fishplates around the rear fuselage the same as the Typhoons.

I’m doing it in flight so need a Roly.

IMG_4012-338x450.jpg

The guy on the right seems a more cheerful chap than the one on the left so he gets the gig.

Duncan B

• Like 2

The Tiffie’s gloss coat all ready for decals now (possibly the most boring job in modelling?)

IMG_4017-600x450.jpg

The Tempest is slowly moving along. I have the internal support glued in place and am now looking at painting Roly. Trying to find suitable colours for his flight gear at the moment. 

IMG_4018-600x450.jpg

He’s inspecting the sample of acrylic rod by the looks of things, a true test pilot even in 1/72 scale!

IMG_4019-600x450.jpg

Once Roly is satisfied I can start painting him then get him in place before closing up the fuselage. 

Duncan B

• Like 1