BlackMike Models

Happy Birthday Betty Windsor's Airline

I have finally got my finger out and have started decaling the Typhoon. You may have guessed already that I have lost interest in this one a way back but will push it over the finish line to make more room on my desk if nothing else. 

IMG_4201-600x450.jpg IMG_4202-600x450.jpg

I have started with the Xtradecal ones first. The instructions are not the best they have done. They have crammed too many aircraft onto the sheet so the instructions are very busy and the diagrams are too small in my opinion. 

This is what you are supposed to use to position the decals on the top of the wings with. 

IMG_4203-338x450.jpg

To position the others you have this. Better but not brilliant.

IMG_4204-338x450.jpg

One side is done, I’ll get the other side and the kit stencil decals done tomorrow.

Duncan B

You know when you get that voice in your head (the one louder than all the others obviously) that tells you it’s got a great idea........

IMG_4205-600x450.jpg

......probably best not to listen to it! Hahaha

I was going to have to respray the nose cone anyway so I lost nothing trying to sort the scratches by brush. The first 2 thin coats were actually working but then the voices said a 3rd coat to finish it off ‘would be fine’ but the paint had separated by that stage!

I hate this kit! (It hates me too)

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models

On 14/07/2018 at 12:02, BlackMike Models said:

A major step forward yesterday. I bought a piece of MDF to make the Tempest/V1 base with. I'll not bore you with pictures of the MDF though.

Duncan B

Phew,you bought a piece of MDF??,well I'll go to the foot of our stairs..........😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Phew,you bought a piece of MDF??,well I'll go to the foot of our stairs..........😁

I’ve got a jig saw too and know how to use it!

Duncan B

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Me too! Start with the straight edges and corners! 

6 hours ago, Miggers said:

TBH I'm jealous as I don't have access to a MDF merchant! 
Although, ironically, the foot of our stairs is made of MDF :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Duncan B

Great Scott,the man's talents know no bounds.

I suppose you've got to get up to something though to while away the time on those long winter's nights up there in the wilds...........😃

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Great Scott,the man's talents know no bounds.

I suppose you've got to get up to something though to while away the time on those long winter's nights up there in the wilds...........😃

It’s not quite winter yet but the nights are fair drawing in!

Duncan B

41 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

It’s not quite winter yet but the nights are fair drawing in!

Duncan B

Still light until 21-21:30 down here,but if that's the case "up there",you'd best get weaving wiv da MDF then laddie.

Was still light last night at shuttleworth at 9.15 watching a boxkite and avro triplane stooging around 

• Like 1

It gets dark here at night now! A month ago it was twilight from 2330 to 0300 but that was it.  

I am up early during the summer because it’s so light, pinging rabbits at 0430 this morning.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

It gets dark here at night now! A month ago it was twilight from 2330 to 0300 but that was it.  

I am up early during the summer because it’s so light, pinging rabbits at 0430 this morning.

Duncan B

Air rifle or 12 bore?

26 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Air rifle or 12 bore?

Air rifle, I gave up my shotguns a few years ago when my old shooting buddy went to the Hide in the sky.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I’ve had a nice break from this but it’s time to get it back on track. When last we saw the incredibly boring Typhoon it was wearing a packamac (remember them?) and getting it’s radome primed again. I left the primer to harden off fully, 20 days seems to have done the trick :) 

Some coats of highly thinned Hataka Medium Sea Grey later and it’s back to where it should have been.

IMG_4348-600x450.jpg

I have written out 1000 times, “I must not scratch the paint again” so will be able to continue with the decaling later today or tomorrow (I should really try to stop rushing this kit along!) but seriously I will be glad to see the back of this one as I have not been inspired by it at all. 

Duncan B

• Like 2