Finally, bench time (well, not much else I can do while signed off) 2 Lancasters worked on, and started the F-35.

O0lvkPP.jpg

The Revell Lanc is an absolute cluster! just bloody awful, but I will persevere as Why not? (right??) the fuselage fitted together quite nicely, however, the bomb-bay modification sat rather proud, so out with the dremel etc and trimmed it down - it now kinda fits, but needs a lot of remedial work doing to remove the filing marks.

Airfix (Heinz57 kit) is coming together as I would expect, without any drama, I have had to do a bit of remidial, but that's because I made an error, and removals wold mean a new kit. Thankfully this is all internal amendments. The fuselage is slighty warped, so a gentle ix into place.

F-35, started on the engine duct, filling in some injection sinkholes, and trial fit. And thats where I am tonight
aXzzIU0.jpg

UQHSFcm.jpg

I also received a set of Hataka paints, their modern USN Grey set, had a test spray of the Glass, which is a major colour of the F-35, and it sprays as quite a nice paint

Edited by Muttley

Didn't get as much done in my time off as I would have liked, but, both Lanc fuselages are now primed. and the F-35 is somewhat stalled. But Bank Holiday weekend coming up, no appointments or race meetings to attend (of RAF fighters sat a mile from my house)

I have for ages wondered why I see so many Lancs built with the wings painted prior to build, and I've tried it this time and can see the logic, means the body & upper wing are done without needing to mask/re-mask.

One thing I have done with the Airfix is add a little shimm to the two halves of the forward bay, this way the 2nd part has something to glue to
vjtLr56.jpg

here she is primed and drying on the eggcarton holder (pat-pending ;) )
RlthhUm.jpg

The wings got a blast of primer too, and hopefully tonight I'll be getting the crayons out and colouring them both in

Now there's a good idea worth pinching.

I think I prefer the Revell Lanc's wing fit TBH,them there big long spars could be a source of merriment............

• Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 19:23, Miggers said:

Now there's a good idea worth pinching.

I think I prefer the Revell Lanc's wing fit TBH,them there big long spars could be a source of merriment............

Feel free, I won't charge
Having been trying to build a Revell and an Airfix side by side, I like how the Revell slots on, it does save a lot of faffing and fretting. But the Airfix method really works with how they've planned the wheelbays, and despite an issue I had this time (of my own cockupedness), I do prefer it

Quick Bank Holiday update. I have 2 airframes 

I liked this approach to assembling the wings, meant I could paint without excessive masking. But I feel foul of trying to build having lost the instructions - yes despite having built many of these in the ast couple of years, I still need them as an Aide-Memoire. If I'd had them I wouldn't have missed the read bulkhead, and as such the spars wouldn't have gotten out of place and need filing down
CpuMuwp.jpg

Which left me with a rather poor fit needing filler

91fh8Zz.jpg

Have Glass Grey on the F35B, not a bad paint, though having seen the F35 a bit closer, the RAF one looks a bit more bluey-Grey

SrzCzMm.jpg

And here they both are, Lanc on her pegs and the Lightning on the stand that comes in the kitWolK2VQ.jpg

cheers. Am not quite sold on the Havaka paint, seems a bit soft, but I don't know if thats becuse I thinned it slightly, which it really doesn't need, as with the F35 it pooled in a couple of places.

I now want a 1/48 F35B as, like the Harrier, it has display potential 

F-35 had a repaint this morning, and I'm glad I did as it looks closer to the one I have seen now. After a few coats of the Have Glass, I have misted Tamiya Neutral Grey XF-53. It now has a blueish hue and will be glossed, decalled then given a matt coat to reduce the sheen and return to a steathier colouring

Pics to follow

• Like 1

As much as this is a fun kit, Hawsegawa have missed a trick. They happily give you two types of wing flap - in flight and hover/landing. But not a similar choice for the forward slats. So, off witht he tab and a bit of sanding, otherwise you'll endup with a horrid gap

Rxq6N4F.jpg

(like this!)

ZMzcrMi.jpg

Looking a fair bit better for having the Grey misted on - though not showing up in these shots

rXNgBXp.jpg

Onto the cockpit

I've finally had that moment tonight, when I realise I've buggered up the markings. Always thought this part would be the downfall of this, with no real decal patterns to follow, I forgot the RAF F35B doesn't have as much markings as their US cousins. Time to strip back and re try tomorrow

Good news (and bad)
First the good, the efforts to remove the mis-applied decals has worked, and the "Dave" is almost ready. The Caracal set of decals is bloomin excellent, and they give you a much better paint plan than Hawsegawa have. For anyone building the RAF version, take note, DON'T follow the main paint/marking plans from the kit provider. #EveryDayASchoolDay

E778iKr.jpg

Lancaster is on it's wheels and decalled up, just the glazing to add tonight.

Now the bad. The airbrush has been throwing a fit or two recently, so no glossing up tonight.

I have also decided on having another go at the F35B, perhaps in 48th scale though.

A nearly finished photo. Blalancing on the stand ok. But 2 minutes later I heard a 'crash' Seems the pilot ejected All A quick repair later and, back on her standjYQddmI.jpg

qEsym91.jpguAU7ME6.jpg

Sadly work has had me away from home too much recently, so the chance of finishing/displaying properly has disappeared. These are as finshed as they'll be before the deadline. Sadly, the Lanc isn't my best wotk, but here are the pair together
5emF5bi.jpg