Chomping at the bit to get started!

So, why this build? A while ago I swore I wouldn't build another Dams raid Lancaster, so what am I doing?😂 

Yup, A special and one of the new arrivals due in the summer. But they wont be straight builds, that'd be easy. And the squadron has flown many types, who knows what might appear on the bench

Pixs to come

Edited by Muttley
  • Like 2

Finally underway (Mates model of PA474 on pause (again)) 

vKJH7bp.jpgyI6HWHT.jpgyl6HWHT.jpg

Nice clean moulds from Fujimi, and instrustions you don't need to speak Japanese to understand
Each sprue is colour co-ordinated, White for the internals, 'metalic' grey for the engine and blue for the fuselage, quite good if you didn't want to paint and apply the decals direct.

S'pose I'd better actually get building now

• Like 2

1LLZKfK.jpgHaving started this, I now realise why everything is so sharp. It's a SnapFix kit!! Onwards first part of the paint is done, white wheel well and weapons bay and fan. Grey primed base coat. Darker layer (and more pixs) tomorrow when I start assembly proper

• Like 1

Bit of movement in the last couple of days (not being at work has its perks)

Did up the areas that are white,weapons bay (and a little colouring in) : 
c2KKorU.jpg

And the forward engine:
hDvbKxq.jpg

A very basic cockpit, but with the canopy closed, itt'll not be seen (he hopes)
I have since picked out the fan blades in Vallejos 'metalic jet engine' It's not perfect, but shows it off and given it a coat of Vallejo Dark Sea Grey
4T5iAOW.jpg

Next part is to assemble the fuselage and get it sat on its pegs

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some lighter grey gently layered on this weekend

Mn3xFS9.jpg

As much as I am liking this easy build, I'm also going to get the new Hawsegawa F-35B and see how good that is to compare (2 F-35s better than one, Right??)

Time to crack on and get this finished

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Muttley said:

2 F-35s better than one, Right??

Still not as cool as a one Harrier  :olympics.0028929001469706519::P  
I jest I jest :sofa: 

It's coming along well, Muttley.  
Look forward to seeing more progress and what if your "first" will be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Walrus said:

Still not as cool as a one Harrier  :olympics.0028929001469706519::P  
I jest I jest :sofa: 

It's coming along well, Muttley.  
Look forward to seeing more progress and what if your "first" will be.

Yup, you jest said that 😁 (give me a Harrier any day)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems life is back to normal, me struggling to find bench time. F35 is on hold until I can get the right markings, and with 617 back in the summer, I should be able to get some shots at Marham

Lancaster now, but Don't worry, I *will* bore you with another Type464Special build ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

What with the new job starting and motorsport photowork getting in the way, I finally found some bench time in the last week. I have the Revell Dam Buster - yes, I know it has a couple of faults, but I needed a change from Airfix! (Despite that, am having a challenge to build the Airfix sans instructions outta spare parts!:D)
Have the new F-35B on it's way as I was slightly unhappy with the Fujimi one. Time to get motoring!

YAY! Its arrived! and I have to say a damned sight better than the Fujimi one I started

8wwFt3C.jpg

Just been looking at https://www.planespotters.net/photo/710085/zm137-royal-air-force-lockheed-martin-f-35b-lightning-ii and the panel border markings are a lot paler compared to this "US" version. Looks like a lot of masking ahead (anyone got my straight jacket?)

So now, 2 Lancs and 2 F35s on the go - who says no one does system redundancy anymore :D

Edited by Muttley
  • Like 1

Personally I think the Revell Lanc is perfectly acceptable, given that the wings are easily fixed and there's plenty of replacement wheels that you can choose from. There's other things you might want to address, but I'd be happy just to deal with those. The late Ted Taylor did a very handy review with extensive notes on his Ted's Modelworks pages, you can find it here. These pages could disappear at any time if nobody is paying for the hosting, I have right clicked and printed a number of the articles as pdf docs.

• Like 1

From memory the mid upper turret and taboo ring might need looking at, but that's a non-issue for a dambuster. Also, internals are provided but they're not necessarily 100% - not a deal breaker for me, the cockpit is the only visible bit and this is essentially correct. Otherwise I think it's down to finer details, like replacing gun barrels, refining props etc. The kit is much maligned, but I suppose we're thoroughly spoilt by the Airfix which pretty much blitzes all the opposition. I've never had a close look at the Revell dambuster specific bits, so I couldn't make any comment about them.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

From memory the mid upper turret and taboo ring might need looking at, but that's a non-issue for a dambuster. Also, internals are provided but they're not necessarily 100% - not a deal breaker for me, the cockpit is the only visible bit and this is essentially correct. Otherwise I think it's down to finer details, like replacing gun barrels, refining props etc. The kit is much maligned, but I suppose we're thoroughly spoilt by the Airfix which pretty much blitzes all the opposition. I've never had a close look at the Revell dambuster specific bits, so I couldn't make any comment about them.  

The F.E's folded "dicky seat" is missing and the "driver's seat" is about 4mm too far back,it doesn't line up with the port side

sliding panel,that's the one right behind the windscreen,

If you want to have Gibbo waving out the window or bawling at his Erks for start up,you'll have to move his pew forward.

Also,you need to add the"headbash"padding to the forward edge of the under greenhouse fuselage and the curtain

blanking off the Nav's "den"from the cockpit.

Don't add the H2S(box on a stick thing)behind the pilot's seat,Dams a/c's didn't have H2S fitted.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Got a bit done on the Lancs today

m3CCZaT.jpg

Unless I'm going blind, there is no jump seat for the Flight Engineer
QTLsADD.jpg

This is interesting bulding the two. Where the Revell is rather basic in some of its internals, and the Airfix wins over, I've not seen the warping in the Revell - makes me wonder if its where I'm storing my kits

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Miggers said:

The F.E's folded "dicky seat" is missing and the "driver's seat" is about 4mm too far back,it doesn't line up with the port side

sliding panel,that's the one right behind the windscreen,

If you want to have Gibbo waving out the window or bawling at his Erks for start up,you'll have to move his pew forward.

Also,you need to add the"headbash"padding to the forward edge of the under greenhouse fuselage and the curtain

blanking off the Nav's "den"from the cockpit.

Don't add the H2S(box on a stick thing)behind the pilot's seat,Dams a/c's didn't have H2S fitted.

Hmm, a few bits there I'd never thought of, (even with the Airfix build) admittedly I've built mostly OOB in the past, warts and all (unless I've known better).
think I've shifted the pilot seat forward, definately lowered it - it looked far too high
Never thought of curtaining for the nav area - didn't even know of it (must go back to my books)
"Headbash" padding? 
H2S not added, that's one i've known of

Thanks Miggers, always helpful to get tips before closing up :D

• Like 1

Yep,that's it.

Just use a thin Milliput sausage(other fillers are available),smoove it out,paint it green(some were brown) and Bob'syeruncle.

IIRC(built my Revell Lanc nearly ten years ago when it came out),those sliding windows are separate from the main glazing,

place it on the fuse.and you'll see how far back the seat is,the pilot would have to have pretty long legs to reach the rudder pedals

(mounted on the bottom of the I/P's bulkhead)too.

I put throttles,pitch levers,mixture levers and the ASI/repeater compass atop the I/P on mine too.

Edited by Miggers
  • 1 month later...

YAY! I'm (almost) back. with one weekend remaining of planned serious photography events left this summer, and at least 3 weeks enforced RnR as I'm having a Knee op next month, I'm ready to continue.
Plus, last weekend I finally got shots of a 617 F-35B to work from (thank you RIAT). New job also means I'm home before I would be leaving my old job. Result! Onwards and (in the case of a jumpjet) Upwards!cmUmODP.jpg