Grunhertz

English electric lightning F6

You're a bad egg Dazzio,you're tempting me to go cap-in-hand to the management for one of these hairy beasts.

Is the Afx 1/72 kit a scale down of the big'un do we know or brand new tooling?

And yes,seen a few of 'em go rocketting off into the heavens meself at various airshows over the years,a very sprightly

performer for a big lass indeed.

11 hours ago, Miggers said:

You're a bad egg Dazzio,you're tempting me to go cap-in-hand to the management for one of these hairy beasts.

Is the Afx 1/72 kit a scale down of the big'un do we know or brand new tooling?

And yes,seen a few of 'em go rocketting off into the heavens meself at various airshows over the years,a very sprightly

performer for a big lass indeed.

As far as I know migs the 1/72 is a completely new tool but one of the better ones so I'm told (I don't tend to go anywhere near hornby airfix). Personally I would put my best begging trousers on and go to management for the 1/48 kit myself

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

As far as I know migs the 1/72 is a completely new tool but one of the better ones so I'm told (I don't tend to go anywhere near hornby airfix). Personally I would put my best begging trousers on and go to management for the 1/48 kit myself

Had a bit of a skate about t'inter last night Daz,it seems the general feeling is that although the 1/72nd isn't a carbon copy,the parts breakdown

and engineering of the kit is very,very similar indeed to the bigger older brothers.

It's reckoned the 1/72nd goes together pretty much just as well as the big'un's do.

Having a bit of a thing for HSS kites at the mo,so I might see if I can blag an F6 out of the Boss..........¬¬

OTOH,that HSS and blue 92 Sqn jobbie(my favorite Sqn)in the F2/F2A is giving me a jiggle...

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Miggers said:

Had a bit of a skate about t'inter last night Daz,it seems the general feeling is that although the 1/72nd isn't a carbon copy,the parts breakdown

and engineering of the kit is very,very similar indeed to the bigger older brothers.

It's reckoned the 1/72nd goes together pretty much just as well as the big'un's do.

Having a bit of a thing for HSS kites at the mo,so I might see if I can blag an F6 out of the Boss..........¬¬

OTOH,that HSS and blue 92 Sqn jobbie(my favorite Sqn)in the F2/F2A is giving me a jiggle...

Hi Miggers, the 1/72nd scale Lightning is a totally different kit to the 1/48th kit. The former is definitely "new' Airfix/Hornby. It's good, but no where near as good as the older 1/48th scale kit, which I think, along with Airfix's Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 were their best ever kits. The 1/72nd kit is typical of Airfix over the last few years, softish plastic and detail, with deep inconsistent panel lines. Overall dimensions are good though. I've started a 1/72 F2A build on here, which I hope to correct the kits short-comings. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Clark said:

Hi Miggers, the 1/72nd scale Lightning is a totally different kit to the 1/48th kit. The former is definitely "new' Airfix/Hornby. It's good, but no where near as good as the older 1/48th scale kit, which I think, along with Airfix's Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 were their best ever kits. The 1/72nd kit is typical of Airfix over the last few years, softish plastic and detail, with deep inconsistent panel lines. Overall dimensions are good though. I've started a 1/72 F2A build on here, which I hope to correct the kits short-comings. 

That's pretty much spot on to me bill. I have the airfix new tool lanc in the stash that may be looking for a new home just because of the panel lines 

That looks very nice. Just wondering what the idea was having low vis national insignia with bright red tail and wing leading edges? Seems funny to me. :)

I suppose it was just like a lot of the commorative schemes we see out there today. It must have been done to celebrate something 

• Like 1

The red paint was the squadron leaders privilege.

Two missiles, two guns, no fuel. Just had to be the most awesome kamikaze sled if the balloon went up.

'60's air displays were unforgettable.