This will be one of my entries 

20180330_190440.thumb.jpg.2ed1dee3172e2f3859f98e03fbad4fdf.jpg

And a little aftermarket in the form of an Aries cockpit

20180330_191046.thumb.jpg.a1641326475adba839efc462320c8bc1.jpg

And this will be the marking option 

20180330_190530.thumb.jpg.c0865759ce052fff1eb6f840505b8e9d.jpg

But I have to finish at least 1 project first 

• Like 4

Dad says the most impressive airshow display was a Lightning he saw while in England come across the field at about 200ft just below the speed of sound and simply point the nose up, light the burners and go straight up until they couldn't see him anymore.

Best I saw was when I was working at RAF Binbrook. I got to see a survival scramble. I think it was 22 Lightnings taking off from any length of runway, peri track taxi that was long enough and the scattering a full AB to all points of the compass.

The noise, smoke and sight was something I will never forget

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

But...but...it's Airfix! 4986448_ori_zps58897952.jpg.21a3cf8fc8de147b63672457bf3c1eab.jpg

Yes it may be paul, but it must be to this day one of the best kits they ever produced. And even an Indian injection moulding company can't screw up someone else's tooling. It was produced pre hornby so therefore in my book it's Airfix but not hornby. 😀

I remember seeing one of these zoom climb out of weathersfield sometime in the 1980's for an airshow and being astounded after watching a wild weasel phantom boring us with noisy passes 😀

Ahh memories 

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Yes it may be paul, but it must be to this day one of the best kits they ever produced. And even an Indian injection moulding company can't screw up someone else's tooling. It was produced pre hornby so therefore in my book it's Airfix but not hornby. 😀

I remember seeing one of these zoom climb out of weathersfield sometime in the 1980's for an airshow and being astounded after watching a wild weasel phantom boring us with noisy passes 😀

Ahh memories 

Ahhh, the Wethersfield airshows, fantastic days 😀 

Looking forward to your build

• Like 1

Many, many fond memories of airshows at Prestwick International with these babies doing the vertical and disappearing into the sky. This kit is in the stash along with the 1/72 version. Also the Trumpeter and Echelon 1/32 versions! :thumbup:

I will be watching this space matey!

Made a start on this and The Aries pit is a better fit than I was expecting once I removed the sidewall lugs it's actually a better fit than the other kit I'm building at the mo and that has no aftermarket 

20180406_204605.thumb.jpg.c1cc4fec8810435e24e389c8f4c5b580.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Invictaag said:

The Cockpit seems to fit really well Darren,

Cheers Andy

Cheers, Andy. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about the way Aries resin fits but to be honest I was impressed with it. ☺️

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, Grunhertz said:

Cheers, Andy. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about the way Aries resin fits but to be honest I was impressed with it. ☺️

Great fit with the cockpit but the Aires main wheel wells are another story. Many an Airfix Lightning has been binned due to those wheel bays. You have to sand everything so thin that there is a very real risk of going right through the plastic and still not being able to get them to fit !

Duncan B

Thanks for the heads up.there is no detail on the wheel bays but then when I had a look at the f2 at duxford there's not a lot in there anyway so i may scratch the little bits 

• Like 1

Right a kit has gone in the bin this weekend so thats given me more time to concentrate on this and...

What a breath of fresh air this kit is. The cockpit is done as us the ejector seat 

20180415_141737.thumb.jpg.ecde1d4d8b9b0262b4df2113286fe231.jpg

It then goes together extremely well and works fits nicely 

20180415_174450.thumb.jpg.1dd9d08c851e25df5e23c3025c602531.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Invictaag said:

The Ejector Seat looks so realistic, it's looking good Darren,

Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy it's now ready for paint I'll put a few pics up later.  It has so far been without a shadow of a doubt the best airfix kit I've ever built. It fits like a glove. It's strange how this tooling that's 21 years is so much better than some less than 5 years old 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

It's strange how this tooling that's 21 years is so much better than some less than 5 years

The Koreans knew what they were doing this and the Spit 22 Are often cited as the best Airfix kits.