Sign in to follow this  
BradG

Captured Messerschmitt Me 262A 'AM 52' ex WNr 500210

Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a WNr 500210 was flown by Lt Hans Dorn, belonging to 1/JG 7. I wasn't able to find out much about Dorn, he did not score any kills in the 262 and was likely a young replacement pilot assigned to JG 7 in the last weeks of the war. JG 7 suffered heavy casualties in the last month or so of air combat over Europe. The aircraft was captured by No. 616 Squadron RAF as Fassberg and was ferried to Lubeck, Schleswig and onto Farnborough on May 29th. Allocated the RAF identity VH509, it was test flown at Brize Norton in July. Declared surplus, it was shipped off to Canada in August the next year, arriving in Canada on September 1st 1946. From there it was sold, along with 300 other wartime surplus aircraft to Cameron Logan of New Scotland Ontario who scrapped the whole lot sometime in 1947.

I'll use the very nice Tamiya kit along with the Cutting Edge decals, although I don't really trust the profile in the decal sheet, thus I'll use the other profile as a camouflage guide and apply the captured markings as per the decal sheet. Originally I thought this was an A-2a, thus I bought that kit, but it seems upon looking at pictures the aircraft was an A-1a, the only real difference is this kit comes with bomb racks and two less cannon. I will drill out the top holes in the cowling to give the impression of a fighter and just close the weapons bay.

HIptI94.jpg

nNDxIQK.jpg

• Like 6

Your research on the history of this particular machine makes for interesting reading Brad. After reading your post I'm looking forward to seeing the model getting built.

• Like 1

I started this at midnight British time which was 9am in Australia. Cockpit tub has some nice detail. I might use some etch seat belts here.

8FHwh0l.jpg

S0QI2nx.jpg

Inside the fuselage and fitting the nose weight which doubles as the nose wheel well and the support for the gun bay.

kkDD0gs.jpg

The interior of the main wheel bays here. Fit is as you would expect, superb.

s9Z9H09.jpg

I picked this up a bit late tonight so I didn't mange to finish the engine nacelles. More on that tomorrow night. I also pulled out the airbrush for another group build I'm in, so I might see if I can paint the cockpit interior. Actually I'm not sure I have any RLM 66!

pKTXHZt.jpg

• Like 1

Painted the cockpit and put the fuselage together. I added some etch seat belts but that was all.

4eDBM9E.jpg

Wings fit perfectly.

8CLP7ck.jpg

So does the tail.

Bs04YDK.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay here, had some paying jobs so I had to get them done first! Some NMF applied to the wheel wells and the under carriage tonight, also painted the wheels and tires. Have a few more fiddly bits and pieces to add like pitot tube, antenna etc.

W7WPHzk.jpg

2rK6r2e.jpg

I sprayed some RLM 76 blue this morning, which came up fine. I also put the gear on which makes it easier to move around.

ynfDdGu.jpg

I decided to mask up the wings and the tail first, will concentrate on them then move to the fuselage and the mottle.

3avSBoR.jpg

RLM 82 light green is on. Let this dry overnight then mask up and paint some RLM 83 dark green in the morning.

6b2bjuY.jpg

Decided to mask and spray the JG7 defense of the Reich band then paint the fuselage with that covered. The red is done, just waiting for that to dry in the morning to do the blue.

mD1sHxb.jpg