Sign in to follow this  
BradG

Captured Messerschmitt Me 262A 'AM 52' ex WNr 500210

Very nice and unusual,just a shame that many captured foreign a/c's went to the scrappers post war.

It'd be nice if the Messerschmitt Foundation would send one of their replicas over to UK for a few displays.

• Like 2

If you were going to buy a warbird to fly, one of those 262's would be the thing. Brand new metal with learjet engines that are proven reliable, it would also probably perform much better than the original 262!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BradG said:

If you were going to buy a warbird to fly, one of those 262's would be the thing. Brand new metal with learjet engines that are proven reliable, it would also probably perform much better than the original 262!

There is an original that flies in the U.S but it is re-engined with the J-85's.

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

There is an original that flies in the U.S but it is re-engined with the J-85's.

They all use the J85 or CJ160, as far as I know all flying 262's were new built airframes, I don't think it's an original. There was talk one time of one in the US being rebuilt to fly using original Jumo's, but that would be a very bad idea with the engine rated to at best about 20 hours, the alloy used was simply not heat resistant enough. You'd have to rebuild the whole engine.

Fuselage band and the RLM 83 on the fuselage done. I will mask up and paint the RLM 82 in the morning. I will heavily mottle the fuselage and tail with the RLM 82.

NNnTeud.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BradG said:

They all use the J85 or CJ160, as far as I know all flying 262's were new built airframes, I don't think it's an original. There was talk one time of one in the US being rebuilt to fly using original Jumo's, but that would be a very bad idea with the engine rated to at best about 20 hours, the alloy used was simply not heat resistant enough. You'd have to rebuild the whole engine.

I believe it belongs to Paul Allen(a keen operator/collector of original aircraft) of Microsoft,has been fully restored(in UK) and actually has

Jumo 004's fitted that have been extensively rebuilt with modern materials(especially in the "hot"end) to make them far more reliable than they

were as originally built.

The one that is retained by The Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany is a replica and is powered by CJ160's(civvy J85).

This was done so that they weren't importing "military equipment".

Those bands look great.

I'll watch your mottle technique as I have a 1/32 109G-14 to do with a mottled scheme.

• Like 1

Ok the last of the camo was put on this morning. That should be dry by this evening so I'll make up some masks for the overpainted national insignia.

oaPXclu.jpg

PkywSEI.jpg

I did the grey yesterday, gloss this morning and decals tonight. I've been considering what I do with weathering and I think I will keep it light. Frankly the aircraft was probably almost brand new, it's pilot, as far as I am aware, saw little combat, certainly gained no victories and it looks pretty clean in the pictures, no real grime in the panels or anything really. I might do a little weathering on the under sides, some grease etc on the gear legs and some dust and dirt on the tires. I once was a modeller who would high light every panel line with a wash, but as I've continued to model and be around real aircraft, that's not always realistic, despite what an IPMS judge might say! I remember judging a model where the modeller had provided a nice sharp colour picture, he had highlighted every panel line in a perfect black wash, but you couldn't see a single panel like that in the picture he supplied....anyways, enough about the weathering debate.

WsKQdzC.jpg

Great job Brad,that looks superb.

And as to the panel line debate........

A couple of years ago "elsewhere",a gent presented a very well weathered and rocket armed Seafire FR.46 in the very well known livery of

LA546/900/LM.

A lot of people who shouldv'e know better commented "Brilliant","Artistic weathering" and the like.

Obviously he's not done his research,FR.46's never carried rockets,there were only 24 ever built and LA546/900/LM was the personal mount

of one Caspar John,rank of Captain and Station Commander of RNAS Lossiemouth,so she certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near so

grubby as she was presented.

The gentleman wasn't too chuffed when someone else pointed out the error of his ways........

Weathering and panel lines hmmm 

I think like others it depends on what the real aircraft was like, how old it is, how much action it has seen, how many repairs it has had. Generally it's not often that they look beaten up but there are exceptions to every rule 

Done. I'm pretty happy with this, now I need to buy a few more 262's to fill the other decals in the sheet! More pics in the Gallery.

z4DmyDf.jpg

• Like 1