Sprocket

Royal Research Ship Discovery 1901 Airfix kit 1/144 scale

s-l1600_1_xitd2i.jpg

This is a kit recovery, restoration, fit-it-up of a kit I purchased on EBAY. The seller was honest about the mess made of the early stages of construction, this is restricted to a horrible amount of glue used to join the hull, and the melting of the edge of the deck where it is joined to the hull. Why did I buy it then? I hear you ask. well, the kit parts are all there and most of them are untouched by the bodgy little hands that messed up the bow. Even Tink is looking at me saying, what on earth are you going to do with this? 

cat_in_a_box_b_viwqbe.jpg

this is the bow mess.

bow_mess_ddtvrx.jpg

the prow, inner surface after the two hull halves have been separated.

bow_half_mess_zvb5rr.jpg

• Like 2

opening moves, and this is being done as an aside to my Marder one, over in the AFV's pages. The first thing to do is to go back to the start, a retro move, separating the three main components, ready to clean them up and check for refit.

hull_halves_dykmsu.jpg

stern_half_mess_nmhnya.jpg

as you can see it's vastly worse below the waterline, just perfect for what I have in mind, now I've had a chance to take a close look I'm going for a waterline full sail crashing through ice Diorama.

• Like 1

The exterior of the hull halves isn't too bad. aside from the deck edge that needs sanding and re scribing.

cleaned_up_parts_wrdvmi.jpg

the bulwarks above the deck edges are a area of concern, they need sanding right back and re-building in plasticard. You can clearly see the pitting caused to the surface by over use of the old britfix glue.

internal_bulwark_z4umke.jpg

• Like 2

I love this old kit, they don't come up for sail too often, so I'm fixing this one, I'm determined to make it into something beautiful. Here are the Bulwarks amidship

mess_amid_ship_voj3t5.jpg

sanding and test fitting the hull halves to get them to fit flush,

prow_looking_cleaner_ddsizp.jpg

• Like 2

the bottom of the hull cut off at the waterline, I always get this horrible doubt when I do this, my conscience asking "are you sure?" but there's no going back and I'm committed.

bottom_cut_off_z5bpdh.jpg

a thick piece of hardboard is marked off using the inside edge of the hull to mark the cut line.

marking_false_bottom_hmieu2.jpg 

I'm cutting the board into thirds so I can keep the strengthening bulkheads from the kit to allow the hull to keep it's proper shape.

test fitted first to check I have marked and sawn it out correctly, then each third is Araldited into position flush with the waterline edge of the hull.

other_glues_are_available_v9jmgd.jpg

• Like 3

The hull is now very strong, with the three pieces bonded in place using the resin glue, let it dry and harden in place for a few hours. When I'm happy that it has all bonded, I'll be able to work the hull sanding out ready to fit the flush one piece upper deck.

false_bottom_fitted_wtqewi.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

the bottom of the hull cut off at the waterline, I always get this horrible doubt when I do this, my conscience asking "are you sure?" but there's no going back and I'm committed.

I like to see classic sailing ships as waterline models and they're usually a rarity. I know that full hull sailing ships are pleasing to look at because the bulk of the hull is offset by the top hamper, but waterline is what the architect intended the viewer to look at and reveals the true beauty of the ship.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

the architect intended the viewer to look at and reveals the true beauty of the ship.

Some should never be seen out of the water:

D943_199_596_1200.jpg   :sick:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

With the deck glued in to the sanded bulwarks, the bulwark timbers lost during the sanding back are rebuilt using plasticard using the faded shadows of the originals as a guide.

deck_fitted._jkkoyt.jpg

here's a closer view of the work to replace the Bulwarks, plasticard to replace the missing woodwork and liquid filler to fill in the pitting

bulwark_pitting_filled_dtkmcy.jpg 

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Some should never be seen out of the water:

When you start out with plans to build a huge freightship but funding cutbacks mean you end up with a tugboat.
TBH I'd rather build a full hull model of that tubby tub 

Nice work Sprocket 
Looking forward to seeing the  progress!  

I was in my LHS one day when an old chap entered
He hadn't been building kits for very long and asked if there was anything that could be done with his Airfix RNLI Lifeboat.
He'd looked at the instruction and interpreted the option for a waterline model as a necessary step.
As a result the halves had been badly butchered along the waterline and the four parts misaligned when he stuck them all back together 😢

I explained what the question mark in a black box meant 
Poor chap. 

• Like 2

On 20/02/2021 at 11:20, Gorby said:

Wow they really did make a complete hash of that. I've never seen a model that's been bodged that badly before.

until you look at mine that is lol

• Haha 2