Sign in to follow this  
Gadfly

Tamiya 1/48 Ki-61 Hein

Hola,

I have been working on and off on Tamiya’s Hein for a few weeks. I made a start before Xmas and other stuff has been and gone off the bench. I have been painting the NMF tonight...

This kit is amazing in terms of surface detail engineering and fit... I got it from HLJ shortly after release last year and I’m wishing I’d built it sooner.. Anyhow...

Here it is sitting in its NMF thanks to Gunze Super Metallics...

39118840375_6e05d475f0_b.jpg

I’ll probably end up painting the majority of the Markings... More contrast panels on the NMF tomorrow...

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Yep it’s a fine fine kit. Mine is OOB apart from some Finemolds Nano seat belts.. The kit cockpit is simply superb no need for resin or AM. 

I don’t think it would disappoint. 

Have fun if you get one..

Hi I have been continuing my work on the paint.

I masked the fuselage stripes which were easy enough and painted these in the same Red Madder colour as the tail as this paint went on at unit level. I cut some masks for The Hinomaru and added these in red mixed from red madder and Tamiya hull red to give a variation on the red to replicate the factory markings. 

Here masked up..

39379028184_5700ec8242_b.jpg

and with all the masking removed...

25218250937_8961a45c62_b.jpg

The fuselage Hinomaru has a white border which I also masked..

Nothing beats painted markings..

I’m going to leave the paint to harden for 24 hrs then I’ll sort the anti glare panel and leading edge ID bands and possibly paint the no step areas on the upper wing..

We’re getting there..

John

Edited by Gadfly
  • Like 2

Looking good John. I would agree with you about painted on markings. I try and paint mine on where I can usually using Montex mask's. Look forward to seeing your progress.

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks...

More masking and painting...

40078714472_e714516dc6_b.jpg

I chipped the leading edge with a bit of neo sol.. That’s most of the main paint done now...

WOW WOW John that Tony is looking fantastic !!!! Excellent job on the paint. I to have this kit in the works :)

Thanks all. I’ve added a few of the decals I’m going to use and the A/C is up on it’s legs and the prop is on...

i masked and painted the anti slip pads on the wing and also the no step lines above the flaps..

39340859585_c833aaee21_b.jpg

Not much to do on the build now and few parts left on the sprues..

Edited by Gadfly
  • Like 1

Righto final image before it’s finished...

25414375377_91a3175eb7_b.jpg

The kit canopy masks worked really well sealed in the few decals I used. Needs weathering and the Antenna adding.

• Like 2