Sign in to follow this  
Miracle Masks

Airfix 1/72 scale Curtiss Hawk AVG, with painted markings.

The Airfix 1/72 scale Curtiss Hawk in AVG markings, I painted the camouflage using my masks and all the markings that you see here were also painted on. A little rough in places but that was mainly due to the fact that I had mixed Vellajo paint for the blue and decided to add a second coat the day after and I diluted it a bit more, unfortunately it was a little too much and the paint managed to flow along the panel lines. This was easily fixed later though. I'm quite pleased as I moved up to 1/32 scale because 1/48 was becoming difficult to work with! (yes old age probably!) I am using the Airfix 1/72 scale new tool range to develop camo masks and it just seems wrong not to finish these fine kits :) Of course though I cannot use the decals, apart from some of the necessary ones, but I could actually produce the Tiger and hells angel as masks, but they were actually decals, I believe. Having said that apparently so were the Chinese markings; the painted out circles on the upper wings were there to allow decals for the RAF roundels to be positioned, later the crates included both RAF roundel and Chinese roundel decals. Told me by Dana Bell; my instructions still state that these discs were where the RAF roundels were painted out but clearly a decal would not be painted out.

Apart from the blue all other paints are MR Paint, Oh except for the red, which is Tamiya.

• Like 1