MikeC

How old is your oldest "stash queen"?

ive been thinking..........when it comes to built stuff i have some things going back a long way!

i gave up this malarky in the very late 70s-ish, i can remember giving away most stuff i had built.............when i got seperated/divorced in 2006 i took up the hobby again............about 2008 i had to go up in my mums loft for something and found an old shoe box with a couple of built kits i had saved and totally forgot about........all tamiya from about '77 or '78......a Stuart, a Saladin armoured car and the venerable SAS Jeep

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phoenix54 said:

Where she's destined to remain until hell freezes over.....

Probably along with its resin nozzles, intakes and pe Cockpit 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Come on, get it done

It doesn't help the horror stories I've read about the PE rigging. :o 

If I can make a suggestion @Gorby? don't use the PE rigging.

Use Uschi, invisible thread or knitting in elastic for your rigging, you'll make your life far easier.

11 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

If I can make a suggestion @Gorby? don't use the PE rigging.

Use Uschi, invisible thread or knitting in elastic for your rigging, you'll make your life far easier.

Apparently the rigging on the Swordfish was flat wire, so I feel if that if I'm to do it properly it has to be the PE rigging. I quite like using PE normally, so perhaps it won't be as much as a trial as I've heard.

With the ideas in my head, this kit is a long way down the list anyway. One day, one day.

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Apparently the rigging on the Swordfish was flat wire, so I feel if that if I'm to do it properly it has to be the PE rigging. I quite like using PE normally, so perhaps it won't be as much as a trial as I've heard.

With the ideas in my head, this kit is a long way down the list anyway. One day, one day.

Knitting in elastic by prym has a flat profile thets why I used it on the DH2 

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone :) 

Out of interesting sake, I delved into the cupboard to find out what the oldest was.......

I first though it was this. has 1974 on the back

resized_f7481bc0-de2f-45a8-abc2-b6c3e62f

Then I remembered that riiiiiight at the back, where polite people don't look and ask no questions, was this.....

From 1960!

resized_769dc18e-219f-42a4-8358-fc4b489f

The funny thing is.... in the 59 years since it was released, there hasn't been another Injection molded W163 in 1/24th, 25th scale :( 

• Like 2

Not quite stash queens but......I found a list of unfinished models yesterday (in a box with an unfinished Javelin FAW5 in it) which had them all prioritised and annotated with what stage they were at. I know the list was actually an update of an early one but this one was dated April 2016.

I was only able to score one of the 16 kits off the list yesterday, the rest haven't moved on much at all. One of the kits on the list just needed decaling and then the fiddly bits fitted to get it over the line but enthusiasm seems to have evaporated for that particular one!

(Yes Col, the Phantoms are on that list although they date back to 2014 IIRC).

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2018 at 8:05 AM, Grunhertz said:

Nope planning stuff for this one. I have some nice aftermarket for it airies pit etc 

No-one ever describes the Aires Aftermarket for the Airfix Lightnings as "nice", well not after attempting to fit them anyway!

Duncan B

5 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

No-one ever describes the Aires Aftermarket for the Airfix Lightnings as "nice", well not after attempting to fit them anyway!

Duncan B

On this occasion it fitted fine 

• Like 1

Funny how some threads suddenly revive, isn't it?  There are some interesting insights here, and some kits I remember from my youth: I first built the Airfix Avro 504 and SRN.1 when they came in a bag and cost 2/3d (that's just over 11p).

Edited by MikeC

4 hours ago, Ian Campbell said:

Does a wife count?

Running for the trenches now.

Great Scott !!!!,it's a good job a certain lady of the female persuasion doesn't frequent these parts anymore.O.o

She is of Irish stock and a crack shot with a cast iron skillet frying pan thingie and gave free "shooting" lessons in using the thing...........:popo:

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Great Scott !!!!,it's a good job a certain lady of the female persuasion doesn't frequent these parts anymore.O.o

She is of Irish stock and a crack shot with a cast iron skillet frying pan thingie and gave free "shooting" lessons in using the thing...........:popo:

I'm available for fill-in work on an as-needed basis, as I possess all the necessary skills and attributes.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

I'm available for fill-in work on an as-needed basis, as I possess all the necessary skills and attributes.

No need, after 41 years of marriage my wife has all the same skills as yourself.

I have to say she has never said a bad word about my main hobby and has tolerated the bad language which sometimes comes from the back bedroom in the house which was requisitioned years ago.

The only problem arose when she decided to clean the room in the early days and vacuumed the desk, cue Ian emptying the vac and trying to find the bits of two models.

I clean and dust the room myself now.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 19:19, Miggers said:

That's a point: haven't noticed Deb around lately.

Philosophical question: can one go off-topic when one started the topic?

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

Philosophical question: can one go off-topic when one started the topic?

If it's your thread you can take it anywhere you like as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 2

Revell 1/72 B-24D, bought in 1983.

And the oldest probably is a 1/72 Supermarine Swift K-4 from Hawk Models, bought second hand without box (but with decals) in the 90's.