MikeC

How old is your oldest "stash queen"?

Just curious - how old's the oldest model in your stash?  I wondered because I've just started mine, a 1:48 Monogram/Revell C-47 in the Berlin Airlift which I bought 17 years ago, in March 2001.  So now my oldest is a 1:48 Pro-Modeller Ju 52/3m from 2008.

So what's yours?

• Like 1

Do you mean the model we've owned the longest or the oldest kit we own? If the former then most likely a Hasegawa 32nd scale F-5E bought in 1988 when Brian Sherrif's was still in Aberdeen's John Street. Think it was the first time I bought a kit and didn't start to it almost immediately so therefore marks the start of me having a stash 9_9 For the latter I think that's an Airfix Hawker Hart in 72nd scale with the header card artwork from 1962 that came from the stash of a fellow Aberdeen Modellers Society club member who passed away a few years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Do you mean the model we've owned the longest or the oldest kit we own? ...

The former.  I hadn't thought about the latter, but I think that's a Hasegawa Storch, originally issued in 1978.

• Like 2

Airfix MiG 23 Flogger,bought back in the late '80's and as for started but not finished,Italeri B-58 'Ustler(main airframe assembled),had

that one for 33 years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Airfix 1/48 lightning bought 9 years ago for a tenner brand new 

Aye and you'll flog it for a bit more than that now laddie.

I could probably pull out some Airfix or Frog kits that were purchased early to mid-seventies, but I'd have to go up into the loft to look. Ones I can think of for sure are a Frog Lancaster and B-17 that were purchased shortly after release, that would have been 1974-76. Naturally, everything I buy is intended for construction...one day. ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

...Naturally, everything I buy is intended for construction...one day. ;) 

But of course, as it is with all of us. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to comment folks, there's some real nostalgia here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Miggers said:

Aye and you'll flog it for a bit more than that now laddie.

Nope planning stuff for this one. I have some nice aftermarket for it airies pit etc 

• Like 1

Just found a 1/48 Airfix Mosquito I bought when they first came out. Would have been somewhere between 1977 and 1979 judging by the box and from my goldfish memory I know I had it long before I joined up in 83, so the timeframe seems about right.

That means the Hornet is a positive youngster!

Looks like the oldest kit in terms of release is another Mosquito, a Monogram one which apparently is from 1966. I bought it much later though, probably early 2000's just to add to the Mossie collection, which is now a mini stash in it's own right.

• Like 1

I think my oldest Is 1/72 Revell DC-3 in Lufthansa livery, bought by 1988, but in regard of tooling, oldest Is TFX/F-111.

• Like 2

Took up the. Hobby again in 2006....went a little mad buying on ebay that year..... Still got kits in the stash from then lol

• Like 1

The oldest of my mini-stash (13 kits) is the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish Mk I I bought December 2015. I'm a bit wary about making a hash of it, so it's patiently waiting for when I feel I can do it justice. My granddad worked on the them (as ground crew) during the war, so I don't want to make a complete mess of it.

• Like 1

Evenin alllll.. :)

Welll now.... 1984/85  I had taken a shining to Tamiya bikes and I liked the 250's so i started building them. First real concious effort to stash kits too. My birthday 1985 my sister bought me the, then, brand new NS 500 race bike, and its still in the cupboard... 😁

• Like 1

now ive been able to have a look in my digi-stash i would say the kits i have had the longest would be either an Academy Jaguar SS100 in 1/16th scale...............or two Italerai 1/72 planes i can remember getting off the same person on ebay....was local so i went round to pick them up.......AC-47 gunship and JU52 with floats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

The oldest of my mini-stash (13 kits) is the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish Mk I I bought December 2015. I'm a bit wary about making a hash of it, so it's patiently waiting for when I feel I can do it justice. My granddad worked on the them (as ground crew) during the war, so I don't want to make a complete mess of it.

Hard to imagine you making a hash of anything unless that was the plan. Come on, get it done 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Frog Shackelton,1974 reissue.

Oh, Oh, Oh, it's me long lost bruvver....again! Tight fist ain't you my lad, purchased two Shacks, Lanc and B-17, some of the final issue from FROG.

• Like 1

Oh dear. How'm I supposed to remember that at my age - what is it again?

Right! You asked for it. Here goes, in no particular order....

Frog R100 Airship, Vimy in trailblazer box brand new, when just released  (I bought it in Goldberg's Department Store in Glasgow age about 12 'cos I desperately wanted a WW1 bomber  but didn't know how to do a conversion. Never got around to it). Original Frog Viscount.

1/144th 'Lincoln' models Super Constellation and DC7c

Now the 'modern' stuff..... Novo (Frog reissue) Comet, Britannia, and Herald which RWG686 discovered in the course of his enquiries in a wee shop in Hamilton about 1972. These three I know I have but I just haven't managed to get the JCB into the loft to help look for it.

I think the Vimy is the oldest, and the one I've had the longest too.

• Like 1

Interesting, I feel like such a beginner! I have no kits from my original modelling days, and didn't get back into modelling until 2003ish, when Revell brought out the EH101 kits. So I can't have had anything for more than 16 years. Though some of the stuff in the stash must be as old as I am!!

• Like 1

The oldest tooling in the stash is some old Revell boxing of a me410 but the kit the kit from the earliest days that is still there must be the tamiya sea harrier 

43 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

..........the kit from the earliest days that is still there must be the tamiya sea harrier 

Where she's destined to remain until hell freezes over.....

• Haha 1