BlackMike Models

I'm not sure how this happened? Modelcollect T-72BA

Well I'm not quite sure how I got into this but I'm going to give it a go. I have not built a Tank of any description in my adult life with the exception of a 1/72 ABRAMS back in the 1980's but this has been crying out to me so how could I resist any longer.

I will be making a pigs ear out of this lovely Modelcollect 1/72 scale T-72BA Main Battle Tank. I have no idea how I'm going to go about it other than throw all the bits on then try and paint it without knocking all the bits off again. It will be painted green using paint except for the bits that will be other colours.

Wish me luck as I will be making a start today with the intention of working on it while I'm waiting for the various washes to dry on my never ending Bf109 twin builds that are nearing completion.

IMG_3338-L.jpg

IMG_3339-L.jpg

There are lots of bits including a metal lower hull and optional types of tracks (those rubber things I remember from a kid and plastic sectional ones), I will take more photos of the sprues as I uncover them.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Modern main battle tanks is not my area of interest but it's good too see some new tooling in 1/72 scale armour.
Looks like the moulding is well done.  

Be interesting to see more photos and what other subjects Modelcollect and other companies like IBG will introduce in the future.

• Like 1

The free time I expected to happen (while at work as you do!) didn’t emerge so no progress to report. It might not have wings but the modus operandi is the same as ever!

Duncan B

Looking forward to this one.   I have never seen a Modelcollect kit in the flesh, but read some great reviews in the mags.  And the subjects are sooo enticing.  Great choice.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mentalguru said:

Looking forward to this one.   I have never seen a Modelcollect kit in the flesh, but read some great reviews in the mags.  And the subjects are sooo enticing.  Great choice.

I would never have thought of building one of these until I saw inside the box. Lovely detail on the plastic parts, all very crisp. The tracks are the only thing that are putting me off but that would be the same for any AFV kit I would look to build.

Duncan B

Tracks! Just treat them as part of a “task & reward scheme”. I rather like the challenge of the tracks, but then, I’m not quite right.

Not a scale I have tried but looking forward to watching your progress, thanks for showing the build.

• Like 1

I've got some photos of the parts but that is as far as I've got so far (spent a lot of today catching up on Website stuff, boring!)

There are lots of parts

IMG_3351-L.jpg

The detail is really nice and crisp

IMG_3353-L.jpg

IMG_3359-L.jpg

It has a metal lower hull (all the Modelcollect kits seem to have some form of metal parts whether it be photo-etch, turned metal gun barrels or the hulls like this one)

IMG_3355-L.jpg

IMG_3356-L.jpg

I guess the next step is to start gluing bits together. I have a plan, I will make up the big (relative term in this case) bits and will prime it before adding the titchy bits. Do us tank builders normally leave the tracks off for painting or what?

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Drichc said:

Looking forward to this, but should you be building the stock!

🤨

You sound just like Mrs B!

As it turns out I was given this one as a sample from the Distributor so it seems rude not to have a go at it.

Duncan B

Fair enough fella. 

They really look like superb kits. I bet the MAZ chassis kits are awesome for the scale.

Just don’t go building Su-35s’s.

😬

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Drichc said:

Fair enough fella. 

They really look like superb kits. I bet the MAZ chassis kits are awesome for the scale.

Just don’t go building Su-35s’s.

😬

I've got the 1/72 Modelcollect A-222 arriving tomorrow and I'm quite excited to have a look in the box of that one.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Now that my long term Bf109s are out of the way it’s time to make a start. 

Not the best of pictures as our electric was off this morning but proof of progress nonetheless. 

IMG_3439-600x450.jpg

There are hundreds (seems like that anyway) of tiny bits to fit to the turret. I know they would all be broken or missing by the time it comes to paint if I add them now so I’ll build the basic parts up then paint then add the footery bits after painting, is that the normal way to go?

Duncan B

• Like 1

Apparently the tread head way of doing things is to stick everything together and be damned and paint the whole lot after it's all assembled. I've asked the questions to several tread heads and the answer has always been the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Brown said:

Apparently the tread head way of doing things is to stick everything together and be damned and paint the whole lot after it's all assembled. I've asked the questions to several tread heads and the answer has always been the same.

I guess that makes sense on something as small as this. I’ll maybe compromise and just leave the very smallest bits off. Then again I’m a lazy modeller so slapping everything together then blasting paint at it does appeal. 

Duncan B

• Haha 1

Some more progress made on my titchy tank, still sticking little bits to the turret. 

IMG_3446-600x450.jpg

those little boxes (for the little Tankers sandwiches I guess) were 2 part items and were not the best of fits  how much of the joint will be seen once added I don’t know  

IMG_3444-338x450.jpg

I managed to glue and clamp this one

IMG_3447-338x450.jpg

The other went together ok but there was a step on the top face which didn’t look great.

IMG_3443-338x450.jpg

I’ve  scraped away some of the step and have filled it, hopefully it’ll be ok when done.

That is where I’m at right now, looking forward to mangling some more later.

Duncan B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Nice progress mate 

I am only able to get an hour at the work bench each day at the moment but I'm enjoying doing something completely out of my normal.

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Looks like good fun to me dunc 

I'm having a blast! I look forward to getting my short modelling fix before I go to work each morning so this little kit is doing its job.

Duncan B

I have the turret about 90% complete since so time to start on the upper hull, thankfully not so many little bits. 

IMG_3451-600x450.jpg IMG_3454-600x450.jpg

The front section of the hull is separate, I’m guessing this is to allow them to mould different versions? It only took a few minutes to clean up the pieces and stick them together.

IMG_3457-600x450.jpg

I did try to resist sticking the turret on for a test fit but couldn’t help myself, the sound of a gun firing could be heard in my modelling room.

IMG_3456-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2