Col.

Spitfire PR.1b - First of the year

In order to prove that I do, occasionally, make a model and even more occasionally finish one here is my first of the year,

25694150958_eab4f8600e_z.jpg

38667504935_6b397496fa_z.jpg

A Spitfire PR.1b in 72nd scale from the recent Airfix starter kit set. Started on 27th of December and tried to keep it simple. This resulted in me finishing it yesterday after only 10 days. Adding some very basic seatbelts from foil along with the seat adjustment handle from plastic rod to the kit part after thinning down it's sides and drilling out the small slot in the back and removing the gunsight from the instrument panel was the only changes made to the kit interior. Externally the wing gained the majority of the attention with the gun access panels and ports filled in then holes drilled in the undersurface to represent the camera port in each wing and the messy lumps close to each tip replaced by small sections of rod to better represent the navigation lights. A little extra work was done on the radiator cowl and the rudder control rod added. Then the kit canopy had it's windsreen armour filed off and polished up to represent the curved PR type windcreen before the centre section was removed and replaced with the blistered piece from a Pavla replacement set. With the aerial left off and it's location hole filled as well as the rudder tip post removed the model was ready for a coat of some old Humbrol Hu230 enamel. All went well until I started adding the Model Alliance decals from their Photo Reconnaisance Spitfires Part 1 sheet MA-72131. Some big claims are made on the instruction sheet about how marvelous these decals are but the reality is rather different; the lighter colours lack density with the white in particular turning a dirty grey when applied over the PRU Blue, the yellow faced a similar fate and was also printed slightly out of register - ironic when the red centers are supplied seperately to avoid this issue. In the end only the slightly fuzzy serial codes were used and all four roundels were replaced by ones taken from various other Airfix Spitfire kits. This later move delayed the proper finishing of our subject by a couple days while I cursed MA decals and tried to think of a solution other than hiding an otherwise fun project in the back of my display cabinet.

In summary I can honestly say I enjoyed this one. So much so I've started two more PR Spitfires using the same kit :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 8

Good job Col.

I know we've chatted about Spits and Seas before "over the wire".

Dicer's aren't usually my bag(nor "baby Spits"in general"),but PRU Blue certainly suits 'em.

• Like 1

Thank you gang. Think this is the first time I've shared photos of a model on this esteemed forum and certainly the first time I've posted anything since Photobucket set up it's ransom demands so glad you all like it. Here's a few more as I get used to working Flickr :) 

24715091147_e3c1fc2d98_z.jpg

No need to go overboard on cockpit detail when it won't be seen too clearly with the canopy shut...

39582254711_14088aeb90_z.jpg

Here's those wing camera ports...

38873829534_d153a67199_z.jpg

...and a little closer...

39582262241_4b5d089068_z.jpg

37 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Good job Col.

I know we've chatted about Spits and Seas before "over the wire".

Dicer's aren't usually my bag(nor "baby Spits"in general"),but PRU Blue certainly suits 'em.

Cheers Miggers :) We have indeed and can't honestly say why I've been drawn into a PR Spitfire craze but been meaning to do a few of these for ages now. Most will be PRU Blue, mainly 'cause it's my favourite colour, although there's a couple exceptions planned for the future that you and I may be having further discussions about :D 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

No sweat mon.

I must admit I do have a "thing" for a nice PR.XI  though,must be after seeing Pete Teichman's delightful PL965/R up close.

Baby Spits are single stage blower Merlin'd,60/70 series two speed two stage Merlins and big inch Griffons are my bag.

I know a man who has a spare Italeri pointy rudder and a spare resin PR.X/XI bulged undercowl that fit an Airfix IX fuse/PR.XIX bowser wing combo,

maybe a bit pricier than a Freightdog PR.XI/PR.XIX conversion,but by using an Airfix IX and XIX to get a PR.XI,you also get a Spit XIV out of the rest:D.

• Like 1

That canopy has just reminded me of Vincent Price in 'The Fly' for some reason. See; a Spit in PRU has made some sort of impression on me.

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2018 at 17:57, Miggers said:

No sweat mon.

I must admit I do have a "thing" for a nice PR.XI  though,must be after seeing Pete Teichman's delightful PL965/R up close.

Baby Spits are single stage blower Merlin'd,60/70 series two speed two stage Merlins and big inch Griffons are my bag.

I know a man who has a spare Italeri pointy rudder and a spare resin PR.X/XI bulged undercowl that fit an Airfix IX fuse/PR.XIX bowser wing combo,

maybe a bit pricier than a Freightdog PR.XI/PR.XIX conversion,but by using an Airfix IX and XIX to get a PR.XI,you also get a Spit XIV out of the rest:D.

965 really is a gorgeous PR.XI and what kick-started my love for all things PR and PRU Blue in particular.

My plan for a PR.XI involves 48th scale kits by way of the Airfix PR.XIX and ICM Mk.IX which will also leave me with enough bits for a XIV although I'd rather like to further butcher them into a low-back bird if I can find the correct canopy.

7 hours ago, Blue Noser said:

Nicely done indeed!

Bob

Thank you Bob :) 

4 hours ago, skwonk said:

That canopy has just reminded me of Vincent Price in 'The Fly' for some reason. See; a Spit in PRU has made some sort of impression on me.

:D Now I'll struggle to look at it without thinking of that :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Col. said:

965 really is a gorgeous PR.XI and what kick-started my love for all things PR and PRU Blue in particular.

My plan for a PR.XI involves 48th scale kits by way of the Airfix PR.XIX and ICM Mk.IX which will also leave me with enough bits for a XIV although I'd rather like to further butcher them into a low-back bird if I can find the correct canopy.

See if you can drop on an ICM  XVI(they're cheap enough and still hold up well) and put the XIX's Griffon 65 on that for starters,

this Mofo >>>https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spitfire-Mk-XVI-ICM-48071-1-48/172968787039?epid=2255282978&hash=item2845be3c5f:g:P5UAAOSwO9JaAfWN

You'll have to check the XVI's ailerons vs the XIV's but other than that if the ICM IX has a C wing and I know the ICM XVI has an E wing,

you could do either a standard XIVc out of the IX or the "rear view"("low back" to the great unwashed)and far more sporty looking

XIVe(in standard F or FR flavours)with full span or clipped E wing:D

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 19:46, Miggers said:

See if you can drop on an ICM  XVI(they're cheap enough and still hold up well) and put the XIX's Griffon 65 on that for starters,

this Mofo >>>https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spitfire-Mk-XVI-ICM-48071-1-48/172968787039?epid=2255282978&hash=item2845be3c5f:g:P5UAAOSwO9JaAfWN

You'll have to check the XVI's ailerons vs the XIV's but other than that if the ICM IX has a C wing and I know the ICM XVI has an E wing,

you could do either a standard XIVc out of the IX or the "rear view"("low back" to the great unwashed)and far more sporty looking

XIVe(in standard F or FR flavours)with full span or clipped E wing:D

Ooh Miggers yi'r a bad man leading me astray like this xD Although for less than a tenner... 

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Ooh Miggers yi'r a bad man leading me astray like this xD Although for less than a tenner... 

Heh-heh,or even knock up a BIG big Griffon rudder and have a nice frisky XVIIIe just like this handsome looking b'stud:

Note the rate of climb now.

That's what a sleek airframe,a great big Rotol and 2000+hairy assed Griffon 'osses can do on a fine sunny day..........

And before that Greenhearty sort pipes up,it'd have to be a damn good 109 or 190 OR Ta152:P to get the better of this monster:D

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Heh-heh,or even knock up a BIG big Griffon rudder and have a nice frisky XVIIIe just like this handsome looking b'stud:

That's what a sleek airframe,a great big Rotol and 2000+hairy assed Griffon 'osses can do on a fine sunny day..........

And before that Greenhearty sort pipes up,it'd have to be a damn good 109 or 190 to get the better of this monster:D

Nah but a TA152! 

😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Nah but a TA152! 

😆

Auf deinem Fahrrad du:scooter::P

All this chatter about big hairy rudder'd Rotol fronted big inch snarly Griffon powered monsters has got me thinking.......

Afx. 22 fuse,Freightdog BIG big rudder,CMR resin e wing I have floating about......¬¬Hmmmmm.......

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Miggers said:

And before that Greenhearty sort pipes up,it'd have to be a damn good 109 or 190 OR Ta152:P to get the better of this monster:D

Volume 100% - Check

Full screen mode - Check

Wow!

I'd never been much fussed about mid-mark Spitfires, the early I/II such as my grandad worked on up to Vb/c with those cannon to chew big holes in enemy machines and more so with a tropical filter to make it look even more menacing for sure then skip to the ultimate power affored to the 21/22/24 was all good to me with the clean lines of a Mk.XI being the only hesitation with that gap, you are in danger of converting me though sir. Suddenly the XIV and XVIII are starting to look interesting.

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Auf deinem Fahrrad du:scooter::P

All this chatter about big hairy rudder'd Rotol fronted big inch snarly Griffon powered monsters has got me thinking.......

Afx. 22 fuse,Freightdog BIG big rudder,CMR resin e wing I have floating about......¬¬Hmmmmm.......

Go on. You know you want NEED to :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Volume 100% - Check

Full screen mode - Check

Wow!

I'd never been much fussed about mid-mark Spitfires, the early I/II such as my grandad worked on up to Vb/c with those cannon to chew big holes in enemy machines and more so with a tropical filter to make it look even more menacing for sure then skip to the ultimate power affored to the 21/22/24 was all good to me with the clean lines of a Mk.XI being the only hesitation with that gap, you are in danger of converting me though sir. Suddenly the XIV and XVIII are starting to look interesting.

Go on. You know you want NEED to :D

Ain't she a doozy?

The main difference 'twixt XIVe and XVIIIe was fuel capacity basically and the BIG big rudder.

Most XIVe rear view Spits had the BIG big rudder retro fitted because it gave better authority on take-off to help keep the brute straight.

They had the same Griffon 65 two stage two speed and pretty much the same'pit with just revised fuel gauging on the XVIII.

And yes,I know I need toxD

• Like 1

Saw that spit at flying legends in the summer and they had a bit of trouble starting her up. Sounds a bit more brutal than a Merlin tbh 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michelle Edwards said:

One can never tire of watching Spitfires 

Never a truer word Michelley.

To we English people,they stand for far more than their original purpose.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Still prefer the sound of a db605 though:can-of-worms-smiley-emoticon:🤔

Pitchfork - check! Burning Torch - check! Mob of similarly-equipped Spitfire fans ... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Pitchfork - check! Burning Torch - check! Mob of similarly-equipped Spitfire fans ... :D

Nip 'round to his and box his ear'oles Mike,his Mrs will thank you no endxD

• Haha 1