Sign in to follow this  
Paul Brown

Modelcollect 1/72 V1 + launch ramp (UA72033)

This is the other Modellcollect kit that caught my eye at Telford. The V1 has appeared in several guises in kit form over the years, often as an adjunct to an aircraft kit, more rarely as a kit in its own right. The only other offering that comes close to this one that I can think of is the Mach 2 V-1 Launch Site set, which to quote Hannant's contains the 2 rockets, launching ramp and grey walls. RRP is GBP 62.00. Now I don't know about you, but I don't really relish the thought of handing over 60+ spons for a set of plastic parts of dubious quality. This Modelcollect kit offers two V1s and the launch ramp for a much more affordable GBP 16.50. It can't be too difficult to scratch build some 'grey walls', can it?

The kit is presented in a strong, good quality box, glossy finished and with an attractive box art of a V1 about to launch.

24737405838_6fb732e339_b.jpg

The weight of the box is such that you might think it contains some resin. It doesn't, but it is brim full of parts and contains an awful lot of plastic, the weight deriving from the ramp components that are rather solid lumps of polystyrene.

24737405278_da253fb2a8_b.jpg

You two runners that contain all the V1 parts, plus the ramp supports.

37721659615_3ab739d92c_b.jpg

Panel lines on the V1 are a little on the heavy side and will benefit from reduction with Mr Surfacer. I haven't put the V1 against any plans, but I'm a little bothered with the nose shape because it looks too rounded. It looks as if it could do with a sharper profile with a compound curve towards the tip, but I'm planning on getting some references together before showing it files or abrasives. Otherwise there's not a lot to go wrong, a plank wing and a double tube for the pulse jet. You also get a booster rig to mount one of the V1s onto the ramp.

24737405148_21f75706b9_b.jpg

37721659495_82c1813e22_b.jpg

The ramp parts come on four identical runners. Shrinkage is apparent and given the thickness of the mouldings almost inevitable. If you really can't ignore it I would recommend paper or thin card inserts cut to size and dropped in place. I have some 160g/m inkjet paper that would do the job.

38731280771_05fd35ecf9_b.jpg

24858201528_44bf6ef881_b.jpg

Instructions are printed on good quality semi-gloss paper and are completely fit for purpose. Colour guides are comprehensive for two schemes, one with the ramp camouflaged, one plain. You couldn't ask for much more, but there is, the generic decal sheet. In this instance it's probably pretty much redundant unless you wanted to dress up the V1s for fun.

24737404918_65406a905f_b.jpg

24737404738_c8ac045d30_b.jpg

37721659285_c65042096c_b.jpg

24737404678_48cf6c9dd7_b.jpg

I've mentioned the V1 shape issues and shrinkage to the ramp parts, one other puzzling thing is what to do with the second V1? You could really do with a cradle or trailer to pose it waiting to be hoisted onto the ramp. I will be digging out an old Heller Natter/Reichenberg combo that includes a couple of cradles and use them as patterns to scratch build one for the V1. Notwithstanding these points this is a rather nice set for anybody interested in V-weapons/missiles etc. Posed on a suitable diorama base (the box art setting is a starting point) with some figures and vehicles (the Special Armour vehicle kits are rather good) it should be an interesting model to look at. As a fan of German rocketry and assorted 'funnies' I'm hopelessly biased, but for something a little different this ticks all the boxes. 

• Like 2

Interesting

There is a ramp at Duxford IWM museum 

Perhaps a conversion on the second V1 to the  piloted version would not be too difficult , plenty cockpits  canopies in  that scale to use 

D

56 minutes ago, Stanley21 said:

There is a ramp at Duxford IWM museum 

I meant to mention that, I might have some images in the archive, but in the mean time there is this one:

38015799654_60b79fc154_b.jpgImage by 'BMrider'

Looks a bit familiar!

• Like 1

Interesting indeed :) I didn't realise there was a second V1 model included but know almost exactly what to do with it, an in-fight (sic) diorama with a Typhoon/Tempest/late mark Spitfire :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for the review of a kit that I am very tempted by. This one is in stock at BlackMike Models (£14.95 + p&p) so I have had a look in the box a few times now.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models

On 11/30/2017 at 00:06, Paul Brown said:

I meant to mention that, I might have some images in the archive, but in the mean time there is this one:

38015799654_60b79fc154_b.jpgImage by 'BMrider'

Looks a bit familiar!

Ok guys who,s got a match ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stanley21 said:

Charming I must say :2guns:

Someone was going to do it, at least it was someone that luvs ya! B|