Would I be correct in thinking that Mr Tool cleaner is not intended for cleaning the insides of the airbrush due to its aggressive nature?

If it is not suitable for putting through an airbrush, what would be the best airbrush cleaner? 
Please could you recommend a proprietary product rather than general laqueur thinners.

With regard to Mr Surfacer, there are several types of finish and a couple of thinners. 
Which are the best for filling small gaps and scratches?

Would using Mr Hobby levelling and thinner negate the effect of filling and would ordinary thinner best be used for filling?

Apologies for asking what must be basic questions.
I've never used these products, have looked at the internet for answers but my woozy head is struggling to find any answers. 
Many thanks 

• Like 1

Wotcha matey, I use three of them, Mr Surfacer 1000 for most scratches, small gaps up to about a quarter of a millimeter wide and most ejector pin marks. Toothpick, scalpel blade tip and brush for application, dries fairly quickly and sands down very nicely.

Mr Surfacer 500, a bit thicker for bigger gaps up to about half a millimeter but slower drying/curing times, still sands down nicely.

Mr dissolved putty for the bigger stuff, I tend to use this or Deluxe perfect plastic putty for bigger applications. The Mr dissolved putty does seem to take a while to go off regardless of temperature but great stuff if you're not in a rush.

Mr Surfacer and putty have their own thinner and I tend to mix and match all three according to my needs, but I would say that 90% of my filler needs are satisfied by the Mr Surfacer 1000 straight from the jar.

There is a 1500 version which is even thinner but twice the price. I have never bought it but I believe that it is airbrushable.

I use Alclad II airbrush cleaner, seems to be able to tackle enamels, lacquers and acrylics without issue. To me it smells like toluene so ventilation and a mask are essential when using it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the truly wonderful world of Mr Color, some of the best model finishing products I've ever used. I've been using Mr Tool Cleaner for cleaning my airbrushes, according to air-craft.net it can be used for cleaning airbrushes, see here: https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Mr-Tool-Cleaner-400ml-T-116.html#SID=55

Have a look around on that website as there is some useful information on each item and the owner of the site is very helpful too if you contact him as I had to do once when I had a airbrush problem. I have no connection with the above website other than being a very satisfied customer.

I regularly use Mr Surfacer 500 in the same manner as Jockster described, I also have brushed on the 1000 and sprayed it with some success but prefer to decant the aerosol 1200 and then spray that through my airbrush nowadays. Mr Dissolved Putty is also very good and it is worth noting that if you use a cotton bud dampened slightly with Mr Thinner then you can wipe away the excess without having to sand it, great for wing roots etc (that also applies to Mr Surfacer). Just don't let them set too long or it'll take a lot more rubbing to remove the excess but if you do take too much out just apply a bit more of the putty or Surfacer and go again.

I hope that helps.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Duncan and Jockster
That is helpful very helpful, thank you both.
Going to have a little play with the primer tomorrow all being well.

Was  concerned that the Mr Tool would eat away at the rubber seals inside the airbrush.  

I wouldn't worry about your seals, the seals for the air side of the brush will be rubber but the seals on the paint side such as the ones around the needle are normally Teflon. Airbrushes are designed to handle most solvents, thinners and paints. I've had cellulose, enamel, acrylic, white spirit, acetone, toluene ànd even solvents such as Mekpak and plastic weld through my airbrushes without issue.

• Like 2

Mr Surfacer neat, brushed on for gap filling. It can be sprayed if well thinned with levelling thinner and is a superb filler primer. Buff out with a cloth before top coats.

• Like 3

Just a footnote on cleaning, for those of us that use Acetone, this doesn't work for Klear/Pledge Future as it seems to turn the Klear into a sticky gel. The Alclad airbrush cleaner works well here though.

• Like 1

If all else fails you can flush Klear with more Klear as it is solvent within itself. Follow immediately with a good flush with water. Ammonia based household cleaner will work and most window cleaners usually work if they have a vinegary base.

• Like 2

Paul, do you know of a particular Ammonia based cleaner? I've been looking for some but they all seem to be Ammonia free.

• Like 1

Windex, you can get it off Amazon. I think UK manufactured Windowlene is now ammonia free (it contains other solvents and vinegar). Also do an ebay search for household ammonia. 

• Like 2

Thanks for replies, the information is very much appreciated.

I put everything in water as soon as I have finished spraying with Klear so it doesn't start to harden, then use the airbrush brushes to start removing the Klear.
Then use isopropyl to give a proper clean 
Seems to work fine and not had any problems with that method.