Martin@AMK

Youth section

Hi ladies and gents,

Is there a possibility of making a youth section on the forums? I ask because we are trying to encourage younger modellers to get into the hobby.

I would suggest that no pictures of the younger modellers be allowed unless posted by parents. Say anyone under 17 years of age should go into the category OR have a few categories based on age?

I don’t know what the rules and regulations may be and it may be worth contacting IPMS to see whether you need to abide by some legislation. Better to get it right and not jeopardise what we are trying to achieve.

Just a thought.

Hi Martin,

I'm sure we could rustle something up. Thankfully we don't need to clarify anything with IPMS here, but the posting of youngsters is better with parental guidance and assistance. The software allows us many interesting options, so I'm sure something can be worked out. Drop us your ideas in an email or PM, and we can discuss it further. 

My 6 & 9 year olds build models with me sometimes - it would be great to be able to post their models in a dedicated junior section.

• Like 1

BxM isn't affiliated to IPMS, but I did add a couple of fields in the profile area where you can add your branch and membership number. Maybe that's the confusion?

36 minutes ago, Martin@AMK said:

Remark from me or BxM?

Hm, both, actually as I indeed don't understand what IPMS has to do with a section for young modellers on these forums...

1 minute ago, Erik Bosch said:

Hm, both, actually as I indeed don't understand what IPMS has to do with a section for young modellers on these forums...

It doesn't. I think it's just crossed purposes.

But at the same time I wasn’t wanting to fall foul of any protections that we should be considering for younger posters. I thought that IPMS might have some thoughts on it or perhaps another body like the police / child protection bodies. Just to make sure that this forum doesn’t fall foul of anything dodgy.

Better to preempt issues rather than deal with the aftermath. I wouldn’t want to start something that could be abused.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud.