General chat about models and modelling.

2 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Spoiled we were!

In the mid 1970's I can think of at least five shops which sold models within about a mile of where I lived. Two of those were DIY shops,

• Like 1

Afternoon Everyone :w00t:

OK then, my previous conversation about building an aircraft from every country we have visited/or I have worked is gaining momentum as I have a draft of the list...

1. THAILAND : ALPHA JET
  2. HONG KONG: HARBIN Z9 (AS365 DAUPHIN) (Basically its PLAAF stuff)
  3. SINGAPORE: AH-64D APACHE
  4. UAE: MIRAGE 2000      
  5. MOZAMBIQUE: MIL MI 24
  6. ZAMBIA: SHENGYANG J6 (MIG19)   
  7. NAMIBIA: CHENGDU F7 (MIG21)   
  8. BOTSWANA: CANADAIR CF5    
  9. LIBYA: MIG 25     
  10. MAURITIUS: DORNIER 228 / NORMAN BRITTEN DEFENDER BN2  
  11. MALTA: AB212 / AW139
  12. FRANCE: RAFALE                  
  13. GERMANY: TORNADO IDS   
  14. HOLLAND: F16 (MAYBE)     
  15. AUSTRIA: SAAB DRAKEN    
  16. SLOVAKIA: MIG 21 OR L29  
  17. HUNGARY: GRIPEN   
  18. UK: HAWK / HARRIER    
  19. SWITZERLAND: F5F TIGERII    
  20. NORWAY: SEA KING

(I've highlighted the Helicopters to keep the hairy blue people north of the wall happy)

I've tried to stay away from grey things, so some of them may change, that's why I haven't chosen maybe the most up to date Aircraft 

African Decals aren't a problem really as they are available here from MAV. some of the others might be fun looking for :) 

Well... guess id better start looking for hairyplanes then.

Edited by Mad Steve
because Richards a knob :)
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, Gorby said:

In the mid 1970's I can think of at least five shops which sold models within about a mile of where I lived. Two of those were DIY shops,

Here, we could buy kits on drugstores, newstand and so far on the 60's and 70's.  We had a subsidiary of Revell in Rio.

But, the Brazilian Association of Toys, one day, made pressure and the tax inspectors has started to charge models kits as toys and since then, we must pay 60% over the price. Including the shipment.....

• Sad 8

we used to have three model shops in Worthing when I were a lad. Heene models, run by an old chap who had made up models in the window, it's a nail art boutique now, then Gamleys a toy shop with a large model kit area on the second level up five steps, then of Course SMC in their old location in the now flattened into a carpark  Teville gate. In fact they were called Teville gate model shop back in the 70's. all three shops visited every saturday morning on our bikes with our paperboy money. Model heaven.   

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Afternoon Everyone :w00t:

OK then, my previous conversation about building an aircraft from every country we have visited/or I have worked is gaining momentum as I have a draft of the list...

1. THAILAND : ALPHA JET
  2. HONG KONG: HARBIN Z9 (AS365 DAUPHIN) (Basically its PLAAF stuff)
  3. SINGAPORE: AH-64D APACHE
  4. UAE: MIRAGE 2000      
  5. MOZAMBIQUE: MIL MI 24
  6. ZAMBIA: SHENGYANG J6 (MIG19)   
  7. NAMIBIA: CHENGDU F7 (MIG21)   
  8. BOTSWANA: CANADAIR CF5    
  9. LIBYA: MIG 25     
  10. MAURITIUS: DORNIER 228 / NORMAN BRITTEN DEFENDER BN2  
  11. MALTA: AB212 / AW139
  12. FRANCE: RAFALE                  
  13. GERMANY: TORNADO IDS   
  14. HOLLAND: F16 (MAYBE)     
  15. AUSTRIA: SAAB DRAKEN    
  16. SLOVAKIA: MIG 21 OR L29  
  17. HUNGARY: GRIPEN   
  18. UK: HAWK / HARRIER    
  19. SWITZERLAND: F5F TIGERII    
  20. NORWAY: SEA KING

(I've highlighted the Helicopters to keep the hairy blue people north of the wall happy)

I've tried to stay away from grey things, so some of them may change, that's why I haven't chosen maybe the most up to date Aircraft 

African Decals aren't a problem really as they are available here from MAV. some of the others might be fun looking for :) 

Well... guess id better start looking for hairyplanes then.

Are you keeping to a single scale Steve or mixing it up?

• 1 month later...

The latest 'Scouting for Toys' on 'Yesterday' showed a collection of Airfix stuff being sold off. The collection belonged to a previous chief designer at Airfix so it contained other things than just kits. The star item was the multi page technical drawing for a product which they decided would be too expensive to tool – a 1/12 scale Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. The tooling cost was expected to be more than £240,000 (in the mid 1970's!). Looked like it would have been a fabulous kit.

https://www.vectis.co.uk/lot/2953-airfix-archive_149132

The program also had a short interview with Roy Cross who is now 98 and is still painting every day.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, dixieflyer said:

I would like to be able to see these episodes. 

This is a link to the programme although I don't know if it's only watchable in the UK.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/scouting-for-toys/watch-online?at_medium%3DSearch%26at_variant%3DAdwords%26at_campaign%3DIDSearch%26at_creation%3Dscouting-for-toys&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvol86HMySBR52cZGaFjYUMY7_8X0e28IDBqdiRNeuq2HvICtxnl56cBoCH44QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I forgot to say the technical drawings sold to a German collector for £200. I would have thought they would sell for more than that.

I wasn't sure where to put this so for want of anywhere better, I'll stick it here. I've just finished my Type 87 in the Artillery GB. There are two kits in the box and I really can't see me building the other one. Would anyone like to have a go at it? - free, gratis and for nothing; I'm just curious to see what someone else can do with it and don't like the idea of it just languishing in a dusty corner of the man cave forever more. Give me a shout if you want it - or even if you know a modeller who would like it.

Andy

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Tolvcat said:

I wasn't sure where to put this so for want of anywhere better, I'll stick it here. I've just finished my Type 87 in the Artillery GB. There are two kits in the box and I really can't see me building the other one. Would anyone like to have a go at it? - free, gratis and for nothing; I'm just curious to see what someone else can do with it and don't like the idea of it just languishing in a dusty corner of the man cave forever more. Give me a shout if you want it - or even if you know a modeller who would like it.

Andy

Not for me personally Andy but if no-one else wishes to claim it I'd like to pass on to a mate who's getting into our hobby.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tolvcat said:

There are two kits in the box and I really can't see me building the other one. Would anyone like to have a go at it?

That's generous of you Andy. Yours looked great but it's not my sort of thing. Thanks for the offer.

• Like 1