Gimmie Shelter

Jawa Sand Crawler - "OOODEEENI" ! (1/96 Randy Cooper resin kit)

It has been annoying slow work on the treads and I'm sort of satisfied of them now. I just seem to be going round in circles with them (no pun intended) - I must have changed the colours on them half a dozen times and have spent more time focussed on these 8 little resin bitches than any other part of the kit so far.

DSCF7608

test on the bogey runner

DSCF7610

deciding which track goes on which bogey - and the direction. The best will face the viewer

DSCF7602

***************************************************************************************************************************************

using coffee stick stirrers, I made this tool last night to use on the diorama base to mark the path of the Sandcrawler treads through the sand. I guessed that by leaving the treads as only the width of one coffee stick, the imprint left in the desert sand might look more like both bogies had travelled over it as opposed to perfect shaped regular spaced imprints. I used one of my 1.5mm nibbler tools to snip out random link joints in the sticks. If the weather holds out tomorrow morning, I hope to get the diorama base plaster of Paris poured and the woodland scenic rocks that I have cast, all set and the diorama in a position whereby I can then work on it inside my workshop in the evenings next week.

DSCF7603

DSCF7604

super-glued onto an old reel of clear tape

DSCF7605

DSCF7606

Thanks for following - nearly there now..

ootinie....

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:20, Madhatter Mk2 said:

very nice John! Its just getting better and better

I wish I had room for a Randy Cooper SD. I could never one home without the wife seeing it :whistle:

feeling you there... I did get a few raised eyebrows from my Mrs when I told her I have a 2nd RC ISD on its way soon from the US - compensated by buyer her a chest freezer to play with ...

• Like 1

So I've finally reached the final furlong - the Crawler is complete but for the diorama base. I have a show this weekend and have made a temporary mini base for it but have plans to get the Tatooine Desert scene ready for our club's Cosford show in April.

18 years ago when HP first manufactured their adjustable laptop stand, they had no idea it had far better uses than resting a notebook on it. This old HP adjustable stand has been invaluable - its made working on the model side panels so easy.

Tracks now on...

DSCF7614 (2)

DSCF7613

DSCF7616 (2)

DSCF7616 (3)

OOOTINEEEEE ..!

• Like 3

man that looks amazing John! So super impressed with this even though its not my most favourite of the SW machines

I could not get away with buying a chest freezer as compensation to the missus if I arrived home with an ISD that size - no matter how much tofu she could put in a freezer!

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Madhatter Mk2 said:

man that looks amazing John! So super impressed with this even though its not my most favourite of the SW machines

I could not get away with buying a chest freezer as compensation to the missus if I arrived home with an ISD that size - no matter how much tofu she could put in a freezer!

cheers Hatter - try tempting her with a dyson hairdryer then... that should work !!

Thoroughly entertaining John, another mightily impressive build. There is soooooo much to look at and it's taken several hours to catch up. All worth it!

As for another ISD from RC? Brilliant! I'll just stick to the Revell/Zvezda one that arrived today!:D

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jockster said:

Thoroughly entertaining John, another mightily impressive build. There is soooooo much to look at and it's taken several hours to catch up. All worth it!

As for another ISD from RC? Brilliant! I'll just stick to the Revell/Zvezda one that arrived today!:D

you and me both Jockster! I'd love an RC ISD but it's never going to happen - unless I win Lotto and build a bigger house (warehouse that is)

• Like 1

every time I log in I end up back here, stand-out good it is. I hope to see it somewhere during the coming year, nice one

Thanks, Paul

• Thanks 1

It will be entered in the IPMS Telford sci-fi section this year if you want to see her and I intend to drag it along to a few IPMS shows this year too - Cosford, Thames CON, Model Fest etc 

• Like 1

Did I see this fabulous creation at the Poole Vikings show on Saturday? If I did I’m very sorry I missed the chance to meet and talk to you about it.