Gimmie Shelter

Jawa Sand Crawler - "OOODEEENI" ! (1/96 Randy Cooper resin kit)

Happy 2018 to Brexit Modellers -

With too much decent new telly to watch so far this year, my workshop and Sandcrawler both got neglected until mid January when I finally got the inspiration to chance the wind and rain between my back door and workshop - finally my mojo hath returned and I have ventured all 20 feet out to my workshop and the warmth of my oil filled radiator in it. Over the few dry days we have had so far since 24-12-17, I have managed to get a few good hours outside with my Halfords primer rattle cans. Now, with a base prime of grey down, I have now added a black and light brown prime for some base colours which have had chipping and masking mediums spotted on to them prior to the overall dark brown airbrushed top coat.

There is a simple reason I never go near military modelling - I can't / never tried to weather models. However, this kit demands it so the process and stages I am undergoing are a very big new adventure for me. I have a MIG technique's guide book which should help too. Due to an oversight while adding the uprights, masking the control deck from the inside took 2 hours - it was very fiddly and this picture highlights how much tidying up is needed around the upright window pillars. This model weighs a ton now - and that's without the scooter battery installed. With the bogies now on the base, I am desperately trying not to knock them off every time I turn and tilt the crawler to get access to the sides which need working on at an angle or leaves me suffering a bent and stiff neck.

DSCF7493

DSCF7495

DSCF7499

primed bogie track cover plates. I got a load of chipping and masking mediums splashed over these the other night once all 8 were primed in black

DSCF7500

DSCF7501

VALLEJO Model Colour Light sky Grey hand brushed on as a base colour for the metallic scratched and flaky areas - I assume this is the right way to work (lowest colour on first) - I intend to use Vallejo chipping medium to break up the colours where required later on in the weathering stages.

DSCF7503

DSCF7504

HUMBROL Masking Fluid being dabbled on hereon the black, light sky grey and light brown areas

DSCF7505

DSCF7506

DSCF7507

Its nearly the weekend for the next stages: airbrushing the first base coat of the overall dark brown prior to adding the washes and pixels

bye for now and thanks for crawling along with my model once again now we are in 2018 - Jawa John

• Like 1

Oooteenie from Bucks one again

Its all starting to change colour now - lots of Alcad II RAF dark brown, numerous airbrush refills, washouts and I have also had to use all 3 of my spare and surgically clean airbrushes to get the job done in an efficient method without spending hours having to strip down one single airbrush everytime the atmosphere naturally gets the better of the viscosity of the Alcad II paint.

From Halfords brown primer below, onto the first of the lower shades of brown prior to masking the panels and adding the higher shades and weather materials in the future - all 4 airbrushes used and 3 pots of Alcad II - and that was not even enough for the bogie guard panels which await the postman's knock tomorrow with a fresh stock of various ALCAD shades

DSCF7511 DSCF7510 DSCF7513

Oooteenie and bye for now - John

• Like 1

Another update from the Tatooine outer rim desert - home of the Jawas

Below is a photo of the original ILM sandcrawler model that was smartened up for the remastered release of A New Hope. This is a superb picture from Lorne Peterson's magnificent ILM bible of a book ' Sculpting A Galaxy' - mine is still a good long journey away from looking anything close to this, but the picture below gives you an idea of where I am headed..... I hope my Humbrol Maskol method of working turns out OK once all peeled off later on.

DSCF7522

starting adding some of the grime layers below

DSCF7514

DSCF7515

masking out some of the darker panel blocks

DSCF7516

lighter shades start being added to the bogie plates below

DSCF7517

and more panel masking

DSCF7518

DSCF7519

DSCF7520

Thanks again for crawling along here and a big Die Wanna Wanga to you !

• Like 1