Gimmie Shelter

Jawa Sand Crawler - "OOODEEENI" ! (1/96 Randy Cooper resin kit)

So with the big Randy Cooper now off the work bench surfaces and boxed up ready to go to shows and the photographers, next up on the resin production line is the 1/96 scale Randy Cooper JAWA SAND SCRAWLER

Its a fab kit, big and like Randy's star destroyer, is crying out for LED and fibre optic lighting

Here's where it starts..and with a tad of Jawa desert humour too

houdini

20170803_163550 (002)120170801_155255 (002)3

Edited by Gimmie Shelter
  • Like 2

its big and needs lots of prep work before the epoxy comes out

I'll pop up some pics I took at the weekend tomorrow with it up against my sons lego Sandcrawler which is itself a bug kit - Randy's kit makes the lego model look like a micro machine

A bit more of tidying up and resin trimming last night - once again with a resin kit of this type, probably at least 30% of the kit build time will be in prep as opposed to actual lick and sticking

Its such a great kit though and has me really charged up and feelin' it..

DSCF7259

DSCF7260

• Like 1

8 Track tread covers took 3.5 hours to tidy up last night - and that was before any sanding (the backs which need flattening) and water soaking to straighten up. Some had to have all the resin cut out of the rectangular recess windows

DSCF7285

DSCF7286

DSCF7287

DSCF7288

that took 3.5 hours

• Like 1

some more dusty hours spent cleaning up the Crawler bogie assemblies - loving every moment (so far)

centre pieces (tops still to be belt sanded)

DSCF7289

bogie outer pieces as they arrived from the casts

DSCF7290

1 hour later

DSCF7292

The control deck floor and ceiling - holes to be drilled for orange LEDs, and the floor to be sanded out and a piece of plasticard added instead as my Jawas wont fit it if left as is

DSCF7294

some of the engine guts (yep, randy copied ILM's harrier engine used on the Crawler and AT-AT's)

DSCF7296

some of the interior and exterior parts being readied up for trimming and tidying up - you even get the sucker pipe used to suck up R2-D2

DSCF7299

kit part Ladder fix!

DSCF7300

Bye for now

Image result for jawa

• Like 3

Looks like you'll have to scratch up those A Frame things above the broken ladder in that parts group shot as well.

Whilst this is not what I would expect from a kit this expensive (Randy doesn't seem to have the best quality control I have ever seen), I also understand that Randy puts these kits out for modellers with skills - not beginners and this is definitely not a shake and bake kit.

Still, you are doing an amazing job on this so far and I look forward to seeing more as it progresses

Hi there Brexit gang

The weekend turned out to be very dusty days of trimming and sanding (not helped by the crap weather in Bucks) - my new belt sander was worth every penny I paid and has very quickly brought me to a position whereby I can actually start building the thing.

Boiler suit, goggles and face mask kept me safe from the mess - although I did notice the end terrace house next door now has a lovely yellow film of dust stuck to it where the wind and rain carried off my waste.

DSCF7301

DSCF7309

Not a single tread tooth broke off in the trimming process

DSCF7317

DSCF7319

DSCF7320

entrance doorway (will be inverted)

DSCF7302

I had to drill out 10mm of solid over-casted resin so the corridor insert could be installed - the picture below shows how the moulding is supplied if you refer to the right side which has not been drilled out

DSCF7304

entrance corridor inserted as dry assembly

DSCF7305

OOTEENEEE !

DSCF7308

some of the nicely sanded and tidied up resin pieces

DSCF7316

flight deck ceiling dry assembly

DSCF7321

flight deck dry assembly

DSCF7322

flight deck drilled out for fibre optics

DSCF7324

a bit of scratch building added for LED lighting assembly

DSCF7325

DSCF7329

The little brown desert rats added to test for scale - well done Micro machines, I knew there would one day be a use for them....

DSCF7331

DSCF7333

the top and back end

DSCF7310

the base - from which, the kit is assembled upwards and outwards from

DSCF7311

the sub frame plating

DSCF7306

DSCF7312

and finally, the big tumble dryer engines sanded smooth and ready to install to the back-end housing plate

DSCF7335

thanks for crawling along with the build

• Like 4

coming along nicely. You certainly have you work cut out for you. You have to say this about garage kits - they are a challenge and will really separate the modellers from the assemblers (or so they say). Its one thing I am both dreading and seriously looking forward to about the Korbanth when it arrives: seeing just how much work will be involved in bringing it to life

30 minutes ago, Madhatter Mk2 said:

coming along nicely. You certainly have you work cut out for you. You have to say this about garage kits - they are a challenge and will really separate the modellers from the assemblers (or so they say). Its one thing I am both dreading and seriously looking forward to about the Korbanth when it arrives: seeing just how much work will be involved in bringing it to life

I sooo want to see your Korbanth SSD when it turns up - your mention of it last week quickly prompted me to research it and at 38" long it certainly looks like something I would be keen to build in the future. I am tempted to get my hands on one of Randy Coopers Tantive IV Blockade Runners before the moulds ware out but he is in the process of moving home and is temporarily closing down his workshop. Please make sure you run a WIP on your SSD the moment you start on it

A few people have asked me to do a  WIP thread and I always intended to do one as its a pretty rare subject. Ill post some up close pictures once it arrives. 

Ive only ever seen one of those blockade runners in the flesh and it was pretty darned big. Not as big as the SD though