Blackburn P.139 COD and AEW versions

I don’t have a modelling bench to call my own at the moment but I still have access to computers so I’ll probably be doing a fair chunk of my modelling digitally for a while. 

A tiny part of me was tempted to check the  wattage of the PC and make a mischievous pitch that this would be less than a tenner but I figured that we’ve all gotten our mileage out of winding up @Grunhertz already

So... those silly sods at Blackburn proposed a small transport & airborne early warning plane for the RN that was... erm... aesthetically challenged. As the saying goes “if it looks right it’ll fly right” so this should have flown like a sparrow with a half brick tied to it.

A start has been made

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
9 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Drop me a PM if you don't have this book.

Thanks, I don’t have this but I’m hopefully going to get copies of a couple of the drawings from it. I’m currently making liberal use of the drawings and models on the Project Cancelled SIG group and Secret Projects forum 

Starting off with a blank sheet of virtual paper

50838186078_5f4921fb14_b.jpg

Added some 3-view drawings as canvases and trying to get dimensions figured out

50838186138_84139982e5_b.jpg

Starting with the fuselage and profiles

50838996257_1cf08ff076_b.jpg

That (after some despairing hair-pulling) seems to have worked nicely

50838186128_c6776f1eb5_b.jpg

Now to make a start on making it look as much like a plane as it is ever likely to

50838186088_36a3cd1c72_b.jpg

• Like 3

Yip, continuing the British tradition of drawing up some fugly machines to counteract all the pretty ones, this one looks as if an S-3 Viking had a terrible accident and then Salvador Dali sketched it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Col. said:

Yip, continuing the British tradition of drawing up some fugly machines to counteract all the pretty ones, this one looks as if an S-3 Viking had a terrible accident and then Salvador Dali sketched it.

I believe it ate a bee and swelled up horribly. Hopefully after an antihistamine it’ll look like a sensible plane

Anyhoo... insults and invective aside I had a go at some more of this. Engine pods are still a work in progress but I’m fairly happy I’ve captured how the cockpit sits

50841889061_bcce44da87_b.jpg

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Excellent 3D whatsiting.

I didn't know that Blackburn were proponents of the 'Egg plane' concept.

Do you think they saw a market for future kits based on the idea?

If any UK plane maker of the 50s and 60s had any knowledge of commercial viability and future markets for projects they kept it very well hidden

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...

Revisited and replaced the undercarriage main legs with a best guess from the Blackburn drawings. Looks quite Buccaneer-like so that’s probably a good sign I’m on the right track

50999996728_b29ca1ebd7_b.jpg

A hook and some break lines for the radomes and we might almost be ready to try out a print or two

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Jimbo and the Jet Set cartoon

In which case you might need to rethink the undercarriage.

jimpic2.jpg

Oh dear... Jimbo had a curry last night.

Jimbo_on_fire.jpg

Edited by Gorby
  • Haha 5