Sign in to follow this  
azureglo

Revell 1/72 Pilots

Now here's a thing

50833791678_b024418563_b.jpg

I'm baffled at why the OOP Revell pilots fetch bonkers money (the average lately is £30-35). Virtually 99% of adult modellers  (who could afford this) build on the ground uncrewed planes, usually with cockpit detail so are folks collecting as "investments?" I remember this with Revell 1/72 Hunters and Mig 21s where folk would pay silly money and then winced when Revell re-released them- I picked up a pile of the Raf Legends release for £8.99 each from an ebay vendor last April that have been steadily gracing buyers display cabinets.  Now I'll put my hand up and admit to having this lot:

50833790383_effcf85761_b.jpg

But then again, I build 3-5 1/72s on commission every month, in flight and piloted so they're pretty essential for me...that said the most I paid was £14.99 and they came with an unstarted, boxless 1/72 Dambusters Lancaster that was sold off for well £100 so quite a good investment methinks. My days of picking these up at shows for a fiver may long be gone unless Revell re-releases them...😈r

• Sad 3

It irritates me when Ebay sellers append “Rare”, or “Very Rare” to items that really, really aren't. But if you haven't got the nounce to check for yourself, then you deserve to pay over the odds.

One born every minute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That's topical. I've been looking for a set of the RAF WWII ground-crew to build a diorama featuring my grandad and his mates for a few years and as you say they're going for stupid money on eBay :( Perhaps they really were not a good seller for Revell as I've never seen them in a model shop.

44 minutes ago, Gorby said:

It irritates me when Ebay sellers append “Rare”, or “Very Rare”

The Revell RAF figure sets are rare, that's why people are prepared to pay silly money for them.

23 minutes ago, Col. said:

Perhaps they really were not a good seller for Revell as I've never seen them in a model shop.

In a nutshell. The figures themselves are quality, but they don't appear to sell, I've seen them in sales and warehouse dumping at TK Maxx. Snap 'em up if you see them at a good price. Revell also have the Preiser tooled Luftwaffe set, also worth grabbing if they come up. This is one of those things that comes up on forums, modellers saying they want aircrew figure sets, but I suspect there's actually insufficient demand to make them a worthwhile proposition for manufacturers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Col. said:

That's topical. I've been looking for a set of the RAF WWII ground-crew to build a diorama featuring my grandad and his mates for a few years and as you say they're going for stupid money on eBay :( Perhaps they really were not a good seller for Revell as I've never seen them in a model shop.

Ground crew is easy  as Airfix do their personnel sets which have non flying pilots and are quite cheap as they've been re-released but were always cheap, Similarly Hasegawa do non flying pilots and ground crew quite cheap as well :These Revell sets are at premium because of the in flight pilots which I very rarely see used. 

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

The Revell RAF figure sets are rare, that's why people are prepared to pay silly money for them.

I was just talking generally, not about this specific set.

2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

In a nutshell. The figures themselves are quality, but they don't appear to sell, I've seen them in sales and warehouse dumping at TK Maxx. Snap 'em up if you see them at a good price. Revell also have the Preiser tooled Luftwaffe set, also worth grabbing if they come up. This is one of those things that comes up on forums, modellers saying they want aircrew figure sets, but I suspect there's actually insufficient demand to make them a worthwhile proposition for manufacturers.

Damn right, I paid £6.99 for a sealed RAF set last week, daylight robbery! The Luftwaffe set is of Preiser origin but with an additional set of smaller inflight posable pilots that are Revell created: Still doesn't answer what folks are doing with them,, bitcoin they aint...

20 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Have picked up plenty of the Airfix RAF figure sets in 48th scale from TK Max so well stocked up on those for a wee while :) 

18 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Ground crew is easy  as Airfix do their personnel sets which have non flying pilots and are quite cheap as they've been re-released but were always cheap, Similarly Hasegawa do non flying pilots and ground crew quit cheap as well :These are at premium because of the in flight pilots which I very rarely see used. 

Are the 72nd/76th scale Airfix sets not in that rubbery plastic?

21 hours ago, skwonk said:

I just ditch all the pilot figures that are in a kit. 

What about ditching them into a nice prepaid jiffy bag with my address on it?😉 

The Revell set is nice, they are well moulded, but... They are a bit on the big side.  I managed to get a set for a non-extortionate amount when I was looking to  populate a diorama and collected as many different ones from all the decent sources I could find.  They come up big against all of the others and illustrate the issues of mixing HO, OO, 1/72 and 1/76. People are different shapes and sizes, but not that much.  They would be great on their own though.

I think the one that puzzled me was the radio operator: really nice, but even in a Lancaster you’d hardly see him. 

I bought the Airfix figures but gave them away to a lad on Facebook who wanted some 
The plastic is not the best.

I kept the starter unit to base a scratchbuilt version on, but bought the Flightpath set.
Also have the Revell set which is far superior imho 

Kept a few of the figures which you are welcome to.  
Drop me a PM with your addy and will try and send them gratis if you want them.

2 hours ago, Huntsman’s Close said:

What sort of figures are you after?  I’ve got quite a lot doing nothing but taking up space.

Any seated pilots, 1/72 and 1/48 .

Big thanks!  Anil

Edited by azureglo

1 hour ago, Walrus said:

Drop me a PM with your addy and will try and send them gratis if you want them.

Cheers Paul, but before I do I'm only after seated/inflight pilots, have you any of those?

Anil

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Cheers Paul, but before I do I'm only after seated/inflight pilots, have you any of those?

Executive decision made Anil.
I have the Revell set as stated above.  I'll snip off the ground crew and standing figures and parts and send you the seated aircrew, gratis.   

It might take a while to figure out which figure's part is which, and then not sure when I will be getting to the post office (if it's open due to lockdown)
I already have your address 

The figures are BIG for 1/72 pilots, ie probably more in scale than pilots provided in the kits, so you may need to adjust the seat 

Might be fun to show a comparison of the pilot from the Airfix Spitfire Vc and the Revell crew lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

Anil

Clearly Anil has first shout now but if any of you have ground crew figures going spare then please let me know.

17 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Executive decision made Anil.
I have the Revell set as stated above.  I'll snip off the ground crew and standing figures and parts and send you the seated aircrew, gratis.   

It might take a while to figure out which figure's part is which, and then not sure when I will be getting to the post office (if it's open due to lockdown)
I already have your address 

The figures are BIG for 1/72 pilots, ie probably more in scale than pilots provided in the kits, so you may need to adjust the seat 

Might be fun to show a comparison of the pilot from the Airfix Spitfire Vc and the Revell crew lol

Cheers Paul, I'll PM you re postage et al: this is much appreciated and this might help ID the the outcasts. a though do you want the ground crew spares (i.e everyone outside the red box inc. Mr Dog) from one of my sets?

50838225528_acc8f8e3f5_c.jpg

Edited by azureglo

Sorry I should have specified, I have the RAF set if you still want them.
Don't worry about postage 

I don't build Luftie stuff but thanks for the offer Anil, I'll pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walrus said:

Sorry I should have specified, I have the RAF set if you still want them.
Don't worry about postage 

I don't build Luftie stuff but thanks for the offer Anil, I'll pass.

Huge thanks Paul, RAF set welcomed with open arms as well, post offices are mostly open but pick a quiet time, my local one is swamped between 11-13:00 with folks returning/posting and virtually all close  at 14-15:00

Cheers Anil

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 11:51, azureglo said:

What about ditching them into a nice prepaid jiffy bag with my address on it?😉 

I'll start collecting aforementioned plastic effigies and you can have them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skwonk said:

I'll start collecting aforementioned plastic effigies and you can have them.

Many thanks dear chap! I'll PM you the location of my estate...

I've been reading this thread with interest. (Just got here today, been busy, so I'm late to the conversation.)  Geez, that is certainly some crazy, stupid money over some injected pilots. However, we do suffer a dearth of *GOOD* RAF pilots, groundcrew, etc, IMHO. As for me and my house, I've been wanting some IJN and IJAAF ground crew. You can find pilots, but ground crew?  Nada, zilch, null set. I did order the Red Box set, won't do that again. While I knew they would be molded out of the rubbery plastic, the moldings were horrible, and short shot. A significant number of the set were short-shot, some without hands and some even without arms.
"Write 'is name down. Now, mark it off."

To be honest, there's not a lot out there in hard styrene or resins for USAAF or USN ground crew.

I've seen some interesting sets on Shapeways, very interesting sets. I wonder if we could get this guy to do some RAF, USAAF, and IJN/IJAAF ground crew sets. Here are what he does for USN and Royal Navy in 1/72nd:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzer-vs-tanks-2?section=1%2F72+Scale+Figures&s=0

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzer-vs-tanks-3?section=1%2F72+Scale+Figures&s=0

• Like 2