Sign in to follow this  
Kpnuts

Airfix 1/72 RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat

Hi all I decided to give this one a go, it's actually a very nice kit and at 12.99 cheap.
Here's the box instruction booklet and my start on it.
IMG_20170903_8534212887884.jpg
IMG_20170903_15541262885061.jpg
IMG_20170903_3051619972250.jpg
IMG_20170903_241251994623135.jpg
IMG_20170903_428801908293894.jpg
IMG_20170903_477161456541220.jpg
I intend to put it on a base in a very rough sea.
  • Like 1

This will be interesting Ken. I have read there are a few fit issues with. I have always fancied building one of these,

Cheers Andy

Hi all here's the next update.
Do you think this water is ok not to steep?
70vw39.jpg
2dayqo9.jpg
2drri1h.jpg
I won't get any more done for a week as I'm on hols.

I'm sure that the crew would probably consider it a moderate sea, these boats were designed for worse and to be self righting when they capsize. Go for it!

Hi all here's the next update, I've heard lots of people say this is a bad fitting kit but I have to say it seems spot on to me (so far anyway) just a trial fit of the top cabin nothing fixed yet I'm toying with the idea of making it removable to show the detailed interior.
290vbz9.jpg
muacmw.jpg
344dtaa.jpg
2z9mn47.jpg
2z71oi8.jpg
  • Like 2

I've got to say for pocket money prices this is a really detailed kit I'm really enjoying it, I must have the one good fitting kit airfix made of it because I've got to say so far it's been a perfect fit no problems at all I wonder if there is a bigger than 1/72 model of this kit.

• Like 1

I heard a lot about fit issues too Ken, didn't experience any myself, some minor tweaking and fettling but that is about it. Really nice kit and you've done it proud!

Hi all well I've started the water, obviously needs to be a lot bigger on the spray I envisage it going well over the bow and probably double the ammount coming from the front then lots of connon wool for the masses of foam.
2rqlo4w.jpg
i5af6q.jpg
257d5qe.jpg
rabxgz.jpg
156u5c1.jpg
fjkxaa.jpg
  • Like 1

That's looking rather nice. May be tempted to try another one as I ruined my last one a few years ago. As for the sea state; I've been slamming on a '23 and seen those Severn class out and about so no worries there. It'll be a good tribute to the worthy volunteers of the RNLI.