Sign in to follow this  
Sprocket

Masterbox 1/35th Indian war series "protective circle"

I'm keen to get started on a small diorama involving these figures, Rocky area with grassy outcrops and a steep drop, but I'm full swing on my Saladin Armoured car at the moment, so these will be next. While the hull of the Saladin cures I'll show you what is in the box.

protective_circle_box_art_njm8z0.jpg

if you are new to masterbox, they are quite inexpensive compared to some figure kits. Look at that guy with the red topped head, you'd want your drills sorted if he came at you with his Tomahawk.box_art_detail_f0lt8m.jpg

this box contains a single sprue frame with four figures, the frame is protected in it's poly bag.

packaging_ukxuvi.jpg

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 3

some detail shots of items in the kit.

head_face_sx3jh2.jpg

not bad detail considering these are injection molded 35thpowder_horn_bv0tit.jpg

couple more before they go safely back into the box for a build diorama later on.

stone_tomahawk_in_hand_gjafkj.jpg

torso_example_usn5lc.jpg

I think that where masterbox strength lies is in it's imaginative figure poses, their molding is on a par with Dragon, but their figure kits suggest Diorama ideas that are hard to resist. See how I get on with these later on, I'm striving to improve in this area.

sheathed_knife_srxetn.jpg

• Like 1

I must object in the strongest terms to this blatant objectification of the male gender as depicted by the scantily clad almost neked figures depicted in this post.

outraged of Cheam.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, DC3 said:

I must object in the strongest terms to this blatant objectification of the male gender as depicted by the scantily clad almost neked figures depicted in this post.

outraged of Cheam.

Ever seen Newcastle night club entrances on a January night? Toon Army shirts and skirts shorter than a goldfish's memory, arms and legs looking like corned beef

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, skwonk said:

Ever seen Newcastle night club entrances on a January night? Toon Army shirts and skirts shorter than a goldfish's memory, arms and legs looking like corned beef

unfortunately yes

20 hours ago, DC3 said:

outraged of Cheam.

I wish I were more adept at social sciences and identity politics.
Examining the differences in the historical portrayal of indigenous people and of scantily clad/naked women and/or sex workers as in the MB figure of "Looking for a Long Haul Partner" would make for an interesting study imho. 

TBH I h

On 05/01/2021 at 17:10, Sprocket said:

I think that where masterbox strength lies is in it's imaginative figure poses, their molding is on a par with Dragon, but their figure kits suggest Diorama ideas that are hard to resist. See how I get on with these later on, I'm striving to improve in this area.

I've got far too many sets already started to buy another set.  They are very tempting and I really like the French Indian Wars sets.  
One of the stalled MB kits is from the Plains Indian series 

I made the mistake of trying to find references for the clothing and it's a minefield if you have no knowledge of the subject 
Photos on the internet are generally to well general.  There is no such thing as a "plains Indian" costume any more there is a thing called European clothing.

Looking forward to seeing your dio.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's some nasty mould parting lines there which are going to be a challenge to remove without damage. This one's definitely in the 'challenging' category.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, DC3 said:

outraged of Cheam.

when I start the figures I'll place a warning saying warning, male partial nudity, not for the faint hearted or easily outraged, note that no Native American indian figures were harmed in the making of this diorama.

• Haha 2

first stages to assemble the figures while the other project is left for the paint to dry off. The figures have a very shallow mold line running down the front of the thigh and shin. Easy to get rid of with the scraping edge of a scalpel blade.

mold_line_d_skz8ub.jpg

the figures are made up from 14/15 parts each, I'm very pleased with them so far, two made, two to still be assembled.

mold_line_k_srhhtn.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Nah he's looking to bury the hatchet? (Native American joke #346) 

Great stuff so far sprocket

they're not bad for 35th scale, plenty of facial detail, but I've got to get a grip of those mold lines running down the front of the leg. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

they're not bad for 35th scale, plenty of facial detail, but I've got to get a grip of those mold lines running down the front of the leg. 

I told you that this kit's in the challenging category :)

Did you run into trouble with small parts breaking? The only Master Box figures I've done are the RAF pilots, and nearly every small bit snapped when I took them off the sprues. On the good side the sculpting is excellent. Then look really real and each face is distinct.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

I told you that this kit's in the challenging category :)

Did you run into trouble with small parts breaking? The only Master Box figures I've done are the RAF pilots, and nearly every small bit snapped when I took them off the sprues. On the good side the sculpting is excellent. Then look really real and each face is distinct.

as a matter of fact this set has gone together without a single hitch, maybe Masterbox have been listening to their modelling customers and corrected problems with later kits, I always use cutters to remove all the parts, cutters tend to place pressure on both sides of the cut at the same time, but a knife can do two things, apply unequal pressure and break the fine part, and send a part pinging off into the furthest remote areas of the carpet monster. It was too many years that I put up with that before I discovered Cutters, Sometimes we all get into a routine and can't accept other possibilities. Learning from others, that's the way I move forward.

Edited by Sprocket

the three figures assembled, The problem Jessie mentioned above, of parts break, didn't occur, despite those long thin Musket barrels. I'm very pleased with them so far, the real task is going to be the decorative war paint.

four_figures_in_primer_edsxmo.jpg

• Like 3

the enemy turned up today.

raiders_box_art_m0fwoj.jpg

well protected in the poly wrap, one single sprue of two figures.

single_sprue_frame_in_wrap_uhulic.jpg

bow_hand_ybegz4.jpg

nice sculpted parts, MB as I've come to expect them.

quiver_and_shield_ar9sem.jpg

Shaggy trouser detail.

shaggy_trousers_wolkfz.jpg

• Like 1