Just a quick note for the hundreds of BxM members who will be building one of these.

Deciding not to second guess the assembly pictograms provided, I followed them slavishly. However, with the top wing on, putting the side windows in was a fiddle. I think they'd have easier to fit before the wing assembly went on, instead of afterwards as in the instructions.

This has been a public service announcement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Just a quick note for the hundreds of BxM members who will be building one of these.

Silly boy

• Sad 1

On 15/01/2021 at 14:06, Che Guava said:

His 'smoke and no mirrors' trick on sagging stretched sprue rigging is a magic trick better than pigeons out a sleeve!

Do expand the theory O Revolting One please.

I may have to use it if the construction of a "Young Master" hoves into view.

(Eee's also got a Tiger Moff and a Dwagon Wapide to mess with that'll need wigging too)

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Do expand the theory O Revolting One please.

Its actually "The smoke'n'matches" trick.

Hold biplane in left hand.

Light match.

Blow out match

Let smoke from match permeate the sagging wire

Wire should gently shink till taut.

or

Beat out plastic flames with damp towel

Edited by Che Guava
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Che Guava said:

Its actually "The smoke'n'matches" trick.

Ah,same as the old hot bit of wire trick then.

Grab bit of wire in pliers,heat up the wire over a tealight(or your favoured source of flame production).

Put the hot wire as close as poss without touching the rigging wire.

This will also sort out the men from the boys in the rigging attachment game.

Yeh that works too. Just remember to unplug the wire from the wall socket first. 

Actually, now I think about it, the smoke might have nothing to do with it, just the heat from the nearby match!

• Haha 3

So anyway....

It was all going so well till I tried to fit the clear bits. They didn't fit well at all, the bit that incorporates a section of leading edge is narrower that the wing, and in my struggle to push/pull/hold it all together the little side windows fell out (but, amazingly, I didn't lose them!). Will have need of the ole filler I think.

911b3eb4-a955-4364-8b90-4f52b46f327a.jpg

Though the nose section doesn't seem to fit very well, I think it's correct, being an aluminium pressing that looks like a salad bowl stuck to the side of a tea chest.

The horid join on the 'vee' pressing on top will need mucho filing/filing/finishing for such a little model though.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

need mucho filing/filing/finishing

Have a break and get on with the engine. In case you don't happen to have one among your vintage cars, here's the drawing

Praga%201.jpg

It really is an unusual wee aeroplane and I wondered how you got in until I found this photo

3264-4.jpg

• Like 5

Yup...very peculiar in/out. See what I mean about the pudding bowl on the front? The kit recommends assembling the engine and exhaust bits to the front bit first, then attaching it to the auirframe. I think that would guarantee filing and sanding it off again trying to fix the joints! I left those bits in the box for now.

• Like 1

Great stuff, it is a wonderful looking bird but not in an aesthetic way if you know what i mean. Good thinking on the engine, looks like another tube of filler going on the front end!

Bob