After using a lot more filler than I expected and generally faffing with seams and other unspecified stuff, the Spit got blasted with primer after I masked the canopy. I'm a bit out of practise masking canopies so it took an indefeasibly long time for something so small.

IMG_3287.JPG

I've found that one of the downsides of having a magnet inside is that things keep sticking up its bottom.

IMG_3277.JPG

Oh yes, that gap behind the cockpit that previously caused me issues has opened up again. To deal with this issue I'm going to employ a technique that I've seen used by a few master modellers that I greatly admire.

I'm going ignore it and hope it goes away. :yes:

I believe it's called the 'Yer whaareva' gambit. Which I'm told is Latin for 'I really don't give a monkey's' and recalls the tale of the Ancient Modeller (Christ, narrow it down there's loads on here) which recounts the story of an heroic quest to give a damn. It ends with the Ancient Modeller dramatically failing as he finds that he can't be arsed. But in an epic saga dactylic hexameter sort of way of course, to make it sound a lot more important than it really is.

Now, I don't want to spoil the surprise, but this might give you a tiny cryptic clue to the identity of my Spit on a stick:

IMG_3286+%2528copy%2529.JPG

If you're still struggling to place it, you might need to come out from under that rock maybe a bit more often. Some of the more observant amongst you may have noticed that this is completely the wrong version of Spit, but let me stop you there. I wasn't going to say anything, I just wanted to stop you.

You may recall that my daughter gave me the kit, little does she know that she's getting it back again. She's often said that she thinks my models look cooooool, and of course it will save me the indignity of having to prominently display a bloody Spitfire. A neat solution I'll think you'll agree. :smile:

There are decals available for the NHS Spit, but I could only find them in 1/32. Even if they were available in 1/72, it wouldn't really of any use to a tight git like me. And as decals are the offspring of Beelzebub, I wouldn't want to encourage their existence. I did (accidentally you understand) screen-print the 1/32 decals to help produce my own masks. Fortunately the masks were dead easy to cut, although that 'K' deeply offends me. It's just not right. I even considered making it decent until I realised that it's duff for a good reason – too avoid the wheel-well.

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

Quite satisfied how it's turned out, but it was at this point I thought that maybe it would have been a good idea to fill in the holy bits. Balls, too late. Probably another chance to try and become more proficient in Yer whaareva.

IMG_3288.JPG

• Like 9
19 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

painted it like a german thing or coloured it in with felt tips

Ah, but as it was a prezzie I had to do it proper. And doing it in ANY other scheme would mean that I'd have to keep it and display it to show my deep and everlasting gratitude for thought that went into the purchase. This way I can get rid AND give the impression of being thoughtful. Win win. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

You were supposed to be chilling today, not raising your blood pressure by working on a Spitfire. Anyway.

Looking good and I hope your daughter appreciates the selfless sacrifices which went into this production. *

Of course you are forever going to be on the receiving end of Spitfire taunts. 😃

I was trying to think of something ironic for a change but sorry...I reverted to type.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, RWG686 said:

You were supposed to be chilling today, not raising your blood pressure by working on a Spitfire

9 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

On the contrary I think a, its a great looking model and b fun so there's a lot to be said for it 

All the 'work' done in that post was done before today, but I did do quite a bit today and actually been enjoying most of it.

Had a much better sleep last night so I intend to do the most difficult bit of the build… some freehand lettering. :o

• Like 4
On 14/01/2021 at 17:28, Gorby said:

It's going to a Spit on a stick Anil style, so the larger of those central lumps is a magnet. Not decided what flavour my Spit on a stick is going to be yet, but I'm edging towards blueberry.

IMG_3253.JPG

Magnets? Inside a model? That's the stupidest Idea I've ever heard, next you'll  be sticking it up a plastic rod with another on it like this damn fool..

50862508688_735bb07b50_b.jpg

50863220516_85e0ed9e5c_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

The decal roundels in the kit are completely wrong for the NHS Spit and you know what a sticker for accuracy I am. I wouldn't have used them anyway due to the decals being the spawn of Satan thing. If you've got a decent circle cutter then making masks for roundels is a doddle.

I only need the big hole mask on first (the big yellow thing on the right wing) but it's easier to get them in the correct place by sticking the 'blue' mask bit on first; fitting the outer mask over it and then taking the 'blue' mask off again.

IMG_3289.JPG

So you end up with this:

IMG_3290.JPG

After the blue, the next mask goes on. In addition to that I put another mask on to protect the tiny gap around the two masks (as seen on the left):

IMG_3292.JPG

The exact, perfect shade of red next (:blushing:) :

IMG_3293.JPG

Obviously we need to talk about the wrong shade of blue in the roundel. I've no idea why the RAF have been using the wrong colour for so many years. You'll need to ask them.

IMG_3295.JPG

I've still got to add the white bit in the middle of the flaggy thing on the tail.

I practised and practised and practised and practised until I'd got it quite good…

IMG_3296.JPG

and then made a bit of a pigs ear of it on the model. The other side was worse which why you aren't seeing it. The main reason it was worse because there is a panel line in the way. I didn't want to mention Airfix trench lines but bloody hell the pilot would have been able to fit his hand in these gaps!

IMG_3298.JPG

I tried cutting mask for these but gave up on the first letter – much too small, but I was pretty much expecting that so I reverted to plan 'B' - using a 'Uni Posca' 0.7mm white pen. I thought it was a bit of an extravagance buying the pen originally, but as it was to write my dad's name on my Austin Tilly I thought a good enough reason to disturb the wallet-bat sanctuary. Since I bought it I've used it on five different projects so even I think it was well worth buying now.

IMG_3301.JPG

I intended to do a pin wash but decided that I preferred it looking clean.

Spit all done. My greatest worry is that my last five builds have been 1/72! I must be turning into a freakish heathen. :o

Just the base to do...

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 9

A Spit on a stick needs a base.

Carpentry used to be my thing. Then after a suspected very mild dose of the bat plague last March, I've not been able to summon the energy or enthusiasm for wood worrying. I've now run out of other things I can re-purpose as a base and as this is for my little girl, I thought I should make the effort to make something nice. I also hate the fact that I've got a workshop full of thousands of pounds worth of unused tools.

If it's going to be wood, it's going to be Oak – I've got loads of the stuff. As this is a gift for a doctor, the heart shape has to be anatomically correct. I tried to match the grain to the shape – fortunately it was at the end of a plank rather than the middle. It a bloody awkward shape to clamp but as there's going to a hole though the centre, I used one screw though the point the hole is going to be, to attach it to something that I can clamp.

This is my favourite router and was was one of my most used tools pre-pandemic. I used my largest radius bit to round off the edges, both sides.

IMG_3299.JPG

Normally with something this small I'd sand without the use of electricity, but Gorby energy already flagging I resorted to:

IMG_3300.JPG

With a final going over with a scrap of sandpaper:

IMG_3303.JPG

This after it's first coat of wax

IMG_3305.JPG

The base is quite small – only 100mm square but as oak is quite heavy, it doesn't need to be big – it's about four times the weight of the model. The base of the base are three felt pads and a thin disc to stop the acrylic rod falling through.

IMG_3320.JPG

The angled top of the rod will be obvious when you see the final photies. I didn't want to do a flat panel at the top of the rod (as Anil does on his) because that would hide some of the lettering underneath. I've used two magnets inside the Spit and on the rod to give it more grip – it holds it in position easily.

IMG_3322.JPG

I've just got the final pics to sort out and bung in the gallery.

Thanks for havin a look. :thumbup:

The photos of the final result can be seen in the gallery here:

And this is when I handed it over to my daughter:

AVvXsEhXZWyRYkoCqjghMiscUdSKXa5C87sRnAtj

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I must be turning into a freakish heathen. :o

I forgot to tell you that we have removed that bit from the residents qualification for this side of the wall as it is now deemed to be 'normal'

I think this piece of work from you has as usual been entertaining and have to say you've raised the bar with that base.

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

I think this piece of work from you has as usual been entertaining and have to say you've raised the bar with that base.

Thanks matey. :thumbup:

The base is something I could easily have done in well under an hour before 2020. It took well over that now, but I'm pleased with the result and glad I made the effort.

• Like 4
On 24/01/2021 at 16:34, Gorby said:

I didn't want to do a flat panel at the top of the rod (as Anil does on his) because that would hide some of the lettering underneath. I've used two magnets inside the Spit and on the rod to give it more grip – it holds it in position easily.

IMG_3322.JPG

The top plates ended up being necessary as it's surprisingly easy to knock the model off the rod without it, even with multiple N52s, I did about thirty before customers pointed that that out. so they all get it now, makes angling much easier and obscuring detail isn't an issue as you can pick up the model so easily and look at its nether regions. Nice to see one of my goofier ideas get some traction,

Interestingly the GP arranging my mums end of life care asked for one in this livery as his grandfather was a BoB Spit jockey, there was a long pause when he asked how much I 'd charge him followed by me  telling him it'll be the same charge as he, the Macmillan Nurses and the rest of the team are going to charge me for making my mothers last few months comfortable, I think that's a fair price...

Anil

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, azureglo said:

I think that's a fair price...

Good on you. I'm sure your work will be appreciated just as you appreciate their work.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Not a lot I can say there really other than to re-iterate your comments about GP and MacmIllan nurses.

They were superb with my mother..truly professional and compassionate.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, azureglo said:

the GP arranging my mums end of life care

I'm also sorry to hear about that Anil.

Thanks for the info about the stand. The odds are that my daughter will just leave it on the stand - which is why I didn't want it obscuring the lettering. No doubt it will be her boyfriend who will take it off to fly it around the flat and probably end up breaking it, but you can't guard against someone being a bit of a plonker, particularly if it's in their DNA.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 03:34, Gorby said:

This is my favourite router and was was one of my most used tools pre-pandemic

Snap! My Favourite Router too! Lots of use on the boat(s) :).

Great looking S*******, we will have to get a medal or similar struck for you :D.

• Haha 2