The Hobbycraft kits are a better bet pricewise. Strange that it's not been rereleased by Airfix, other than in a box set with the Trimotor and Heron. They must figure that they wouldn't get retailer take up, even with a short run. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Disqualified. 
Adjusted for inflation cost of living index and the pineapple tart index, you paid the equivalent of 3 bags of potatoes and a haggis, which comes to £10.01 

Sorry Richard :( 

Must admit I'd like to see Airfix rebox it in the Classics line 
Good luck Richard 
May you be lacking the need of sanding blocks and filler 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, beowulf said:

theres one of these, same age, on ebay for 40 quid!!!! 

Oh look...my under a tenner build has turned into a Hunter 😄

Just as well I stay clear of that place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got banished from the kitchen earlier this morning so got stuck into this for an hour.   I got right into it and forgot to take some photos.

I removed the excessively large rivets on the whole airframe and stuck the wings together. I got a bit more work done tonight and this is where she is at

34bb3c26-0b51-4152-9ae1-1ee75d2c0499.jpg

Metal foil has been glued into the rear half of the fuselage, the rear bulkhead, the cabin roof and the back half of the cockpit roof. This was scored with a cocktail stick to give an impression of the quilting.

The coffee colour is acrylic paint and the finishing coat has since been applied. This will darken down to the biscuit colour when varnish is added. I'm doing most of the detail on the starboard side as I will be building it as if it is ready for an air drop mission. This has the port door removed and the starboard door handle taped over to prevent accidental opening.

I will be also opening the pilot's door.

The floor is too short so the pilots' seats are too far back. Not really an issue if all buttoned up but definitely one with the door open. I have cut the floor and you can see the insert. Its all stuck together and a re-inforcing piece of plastic has been glued underneath.

The rudder in the kit is far too curved and I have started to reduce the curvature. I'll print of some drawings before finishing it.

I've never seen a parked Beaver with he elevators flush. They are usually up as the stick is back. I've cut them off and glued a strip of card to them. This will be rounded off before they are reattached.

Not sure if you can see the two pencilled in areas on the instrument panel. They will be cut off as the rudder pedals are on the floor directly under the panel. Pedals are not given in the kit.

I've no idea where the decals are for this kit.  

I will probably do this one  in green and brown camouflage but with black markings. I'm tempted to do one based in NI with a Vinten camera pod under each wing.

I was surprised at some of the loads they could carry so that choice isn't settled yet.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

That means that you can get these

Let me ponder that for a moment...ok....I don't need a moment.    NO :no::no::no::no::no: :no::no::no::no::no::no::no: because:

1.   I have never seen them.

2.   There's no floats in the kit.

3.   See number 1.

4.   I've never seen a civvy Beaver.  Hunted for the floatplane one on Loch Earn to no avail and the reported one at Cumbernauld was a dismantled Army one which I again didn't manage to see.

5.   In case you missed it...see No1.

I think I may have removed the bits I didn't need from this kit many years ago.  I gave a bag of floats to @Che Guava so they are probably in there.

7 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

I've seen them,

Rub it in then. Between you and my mate Dave who has flown in dozens of them..

I've seen about 35 British ones and 1 American . All military. Never got the chance to fly in one though.

I'll need to invade your Bolkow build with some tales of '105 trips out of Oban, just to balance the books.

• Like 1

Good stuff Richard!

Hope you added the 15p for the magazine onto the cost of the model! xD 
Saw pics of the kit made up in US colours of white and orange scheme* on Facebook which looked bostin'!
It's a great subject imho

Edit * Not as good as those decals in @Jessie_C link though.  

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Lack of floats isn't an issue :P

I've seen them, I can delegate the sighting to you.

Correct,I have a spare set of Norseman and a spare set of Swordfish floats........

You won't wriggle out of this one Gaulty..........

BTW,construction is going ......................................................................................swimmingly.

• Haha 1

600full-'allo-'allo!-screenshot.jpgListen very carefully, I shall say this only once...

It's a Beaver AL Mk1.  A proper British Army green and dark earth (or green and black) one with muddy or dusty wheels depending on which one I do.

OK ?

None of this civvy poncy multi-coloured thing pretending to be a boat.

Did you get that ? No? Then perhaps this will help..

956376.jpg

I was going to end with a smiley of a policeman but none of them are Scottish with a checked bunnet.  English or American emojis..not a problem but a proper polis..nae chance.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

I was going to end with a smiley of a policeman but none of them are Scottish with a checked bunnet.  English or American emojis..not a problem but a proper polis..nae chance.

It’s ok, we all have the mental image of you as PC Murdoch from Oor Wullie in the Sunday Post already

• Haha 3

You  know where those military beavers ended up after their days in the military were over? Right, They became civvy poncy multi-coloured things pretending to be boats :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

PC Murdoch

Oi..I'm not that old :D

In my last post at Kilmun, a boss said I was too much like Hamish MacBeth. I told him that he had it the wrong way round, they based him on me. (They made him a smoker though)

• Haha 2

On 01/01/2021 at 15:02, RWG686 said:

Rub it in then. Between you and my mate Dave who has flown in dozens of them..

I've even seen the Electric Beaver.

harbour-air-electric-plane.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

I've even seen the Electric Beaver.

I've just googled that,it pointed me straight to the "Ann Summers" catalogue...............................:blink:

There were no wings,floats or propellers to be seen.

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 8

16 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

It’s ok, we all have the mental image of you as PC Murdoch from Oor Wullie in the Sunday Post already

Which one's "Oor Gaultie" then:

pc-murdoch.jpg?resize=825%2C510&ssl=1

You know we all love you to bits,it's just that sometimes the devilment escapesxD

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, RWG686 said:

It's a Beaver AL Mk1.  A proper British Army green and dark earth (or green and black) one with muddy or dusty wheels depending on which one I do.

OK ?

956376.jpg

Gud moaning...

Erm, the above one is an Army one, it doesn't have dusty wheels? :no:... Just saying :) 

18 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I was going to end with a smiley of a policeman but none of them are Scottish with a checked bunnet.

3d-smiley-police-officer-fights-crime-with-grim-determination-E3MY8T.jpg.dff43589bf1cdd9d7a74d5222701904f.jpg

On 01/01/2021 at 21:17, RWG686 said:

I've never seen a parked Beaver with he elevators flush. They are usually up as the stick is back.

It's likely that the seat harness is used as a control lock - pull the stick right back, wrap the harness strap around and tighten.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1