Drichc

Hobbyboss Su-27 critique

Probably the wrong description and not sure this is the right place, but hey ho.

The Hobbyboss Su-27 was hailed in many reviews as a massive improvement over the much maligned Academy one and I think in general it probably is. It's dimensionally fairly close to published figures and using a Zvezda SM as a guide, it all comes out pretty well shape and size wise. That is of course based on the assumption that the Zvezda kit is as accurate as is believed and my measurements are reasonably close!

There are plenty of sprue shots out there, so I'm not going to add any here. I would guess that it is a kit that was at least created in CAD some time ago and only recently tooled, unless of course the tools were cut and left languishing in a factory somewhere! It's definitely not up to their current standard of finesse.

When I finally got hold of a kit at a reasonable price I was most excited, but then I started the research and a little piece of me died inside. 😔

Yes, it looks like a Su-27 and measures up well, but and there are some big buts.

From looking at a hell of a lot of photos. I've compiled a list of what I've found so far - probably forgotten something! Bear in mind this applies to the Su-27P and they have been upgraded over time, so research the a/c you are doing at the time you want to portray it.

Many of these issues won't bother people and that's fine, but hopefully this list will allow people to go in eyes wide open. Don't let it put you off as it's  a decent canvas to start with and looks every bit what it's meant to be built OOB.

Right: The list. (Some of which will apply to the Su-30MKK and likely the upcoming Su-27UB, J-11 and J-16)

Errors:

Cockpit floor panels too long - should stop at the rear face of the joystick mounting. Easy fix

Rudder pedals are wrong - scratch built easily enough.

Throttle attached to side panel - incorrect as it should be mounted on the upper fuselage side. I've used an old Neomega one, but scratch building is quite doable.

Rear bulkhead of cockpit tub too far back - needs to be brought forward with a new bulkhead to put the seat in the right position. Joystick way too long, think orangutan pilot required - rectifiable with modification and scratch building.

Some errors in switch positions - However this is very time period dependent and can be ignored or dealt with.

Equipment shroud at rear of main cockpit section too short and wrong shape with no rivets, which are very prominent on the real deal. - Rectifiable.

Undercarriage bays canted about 25 degrees from their correct orientation and inner face walls not deep enough. Lacking piping and cabling as well. - Rectifiable with power tools. Preferably large ones!!!

Internal detail of intake trunking. Er, there is none, well apart from a compressor face. No floor at front where FOD guards are recessed when retracted. No trunking where it transitions from square to round section. No bleed holes in upper ramp. Pretty carp actually for something with very prominent suckers!

Intakes roofs curved - should be straight from the mouth until u/c bay where they start to transition from square to round section and then there is a change in direction here (a kink if you like).  They also sit in the wrong position. My fix straightens the intakes and introduces the kink allowing correct location, but of course makes loads more work as it pushes other areas out of kilter - Extensive modification required to do this, but fun!!!!! The lack of inner trunking as mentioned is far more difficult. I have made RP inserts, but they aren't quite there yet, so I'm going for intake blanks on this model, which will need scratch building. Oh Joy!!!!

Airflow diverter between intake roof and fuselage wrong shape - Can be left as is as it's not that visible, but needs modification in thickness if modifying intakes!

FOD guards distorted due to erroneous curvature. TBH, not really usable as they look bloody silly IMHO.

Stabilators too thin on inboard section where the meet the main fuselage. they should blend in, not the huge step HB give us! - reasonably easily rectifiable with and angle grinder and a hammer.

Spine area is wrong just aft of the airbrake - not easily rectifiable and would throw other areas out if modified. I'm not bothering. I lied. I have bothered and at some point will post up what I've done.

No knuckle (S curve) in the LERX - Difficult to correct without extensive surgery and not immediately obvious until you know it’s there. Again I'm leaving as is.

Oversized intake on STBD fin - very easy to rectify.

Afterburner flame holder. Not and awful representation, but they tell you to fit it the wrong way round - genius. Ah, just turn it round you say, well no, it doesn't fit as the exhaust trunking is tapered!!! The only easy option is the Eduard external set (48917) which addresses this, but it isn't that cheap and some of the stuff (FOD guards) isn't usable if you've modded the intakes.

Leading edge flaps - the top and bottom inner end profile match and they shouldn't. The lower section is a straight edge, not curved like the top. - Easy fix. Yay!

Here is a list of stuff I think enhances the look of the kit, but are by no means essential:

Exhausts. They are a bit meh, especially the closed versions. In fact I've never found a shot of them in this position in a static a/c, but would be ok if doing an in flight pose I guess. There are several options, all of which I've read varying reports of crapness about.  Many aren't actually suitable for the HB kit as they are actually for the Academy one, which has too small a diameter engine housings (need to be around 25mm). The best options seem to be either DreamModel etch ones (Ouch at £24), or A.M.U.R reaver resin ones (very, very, nice). Aires (4751) now do a set and I will consider purchasing these and report back if I do.

Now North Star have some resin ones out for the HB kit specifically and they look very very nice too. Thanks to Bonovox these appear to be too small at 23.5mm.

No cockpit bulkhead detail - easily rectified. Well apart from going cross eyed doing it.

No internal structure to canopy - scratch build required.

Lack of canvas cover over front combing - easily rectified.

Cockpit generally quite sparse for such a large visible area - scratch building required to improve this. You could use Eduard etch, but god knows where they got the Sukhoi cockpit blue reference from, Dulux by the looks of it. It's highly inaccurate and quite frankly 2D 'orribleness'.

No seat belts provided for what is a passable representation of K-36DM seat. Either aftermarket belts, or complete seat - plenty of choices. (personally I’d go Aires or Quickboost).

Rubber tyres 😖- your choice as to what to replace them with. Plenty of good options. If not the hubs need a bit of a tweak to open the cooling holes up which makes a massive difference. I purchased Armory ones which tbh aren't brilliant. Mine have lots of air bubbles in them, so won't be buying any more of their stuff I'm afraid. (My Su-35 ones are just as bad.)

I'm not covering the weapons as I haven't looked into those much yet. I know the R-73's have an issue, but fixable easily to look ok I'm not sure this info is correct now as they match dimensionally pretty well with the Yak-130 ones in the new Zvezda 1/48 kit! Other than that the R-27's look like they should compared to the woefully represented Academy ones. That's pretty much it for armament anyway. The provided R-77's aren't appropriate for anything earlier than a Su-27SM I believe, although you could do the Su-30MKK as an M2 in RuAF service which is R-77 capable if you have that kit.

Decals are ok if doing OOB, although my instrument decal is horribly out of register. Aftermarket is the way to go really, even if just for different subjects. Plenty out there from Begemot, Linden Hill, Hi Decal, HAD, etc....

I'm sure I've missed loads and will continue to find stuff as I go and will update this if needed.

There is no WiP, but if anybody is interested in specifics I can put info up.

I hope this doesn't put people off as it's not too bad and as I've said looks nice built OOB, as some nice builds around the interwebby thing have shown.

As far as price goes is it worth the asking price? Probably not, but it can be found cheaper. I believe BlackMike models has it along with the Su-30MKK at a sensible price with a good chunk off RRP.

So. I hope this is useful to somebody and if anyone knows of issues and fixes I've missed PM me and I'll add it here.

Rich
Edited by Drichc
  • Like 1

No reason for anybody to be disappointed Duncan. Just think of the kit as a blank canvas to do as you will.

Many of the things I've pointed out won't make a jot of difference to many potential customers. They still look nice built OOB, so all I've tried to do is indicate where improvements can be made if matters to the modeller.

Rich

• Like 1

Go for it.

You aren't limited to the MKK, as there are a few in RuAF service as M2's. You'd need to sort decals out though. I believe there are some M2's on the Begemot sheet.

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drichc said:

Go for it.

You aren't limited to the MKK, as there are a few in RuAF service as M2's. You'd need to sort decals out though. I believe there are some M2's on the Begemot sheet.

Rich

What about the Indian Airforce? Is the MKK kit suitable for making their twin seater?

Duncan B

No fella.

The MKI has canards, TVC nozzles and different cockpits.. You could modify it I guess, but a pretty big task in 1/48 although Ken Duffey has done it in 1/72.

The Su-27/30 family is complex to say the least and I'm only starting to get my head around some of it. There is a LOT of misinformation out there!

Rich

Edited by Drichc
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2017 at 16:34, Drichc said:

Here is a list of stuff I think enhances the look of the kit, but are by no means essential:

Exhausts. ....Now North Star have some resin ones out for the HB kit specifically and they look very very nice too.

Good evening. Reading this topic I wanted to say that I bought the set of the NorthStarModels dedicated to the exhaust nozzle of the Flanker Hobbyboss 1/48 and I must say that they are COMPLETELY wrong because they have a smaller diameter.
The diameter of the exhaust nozzle HB is 25.2 cm while the diameter of the NSM is 23.8 cm and therefore the set of the NSM is fine for the 1/48 Academy kit
So purchase not recommended for the Hobbyboss kit.

https://northstarmodels.com/product/1-48-su-27-flanker-exhaust-nozzles-resin-set/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143690933@N05/33230001598/in/album-72157689722803873/

Edited by bonovox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Drichc said:

Oh that’s not good and false advertising. Any chance they sent the wrong set in the box? 

Rich

Hi Rich.
NSM manufactures exhaust nozzles for the Academy kit (48030) - https://northstarmodels.com/product/su-27-exhaust-nozzles-super-set-pe-resin-and-metal-parts/ - so I think it's not there is an error. The set for the HB kit is 48126 - https://northstarmodels.com/product/1-48-su-27-flanker-exhaust-nozzles-resin-set/ - and is unfortunately suitable for the Academy kit.
I do not know whether to buy the Aires set or mount the kit set. I'll see!

Hi Bonovox.

So they produce one for academy which is etch and one for hobbyboss which is resin, but the resin ones are also 23.8mm in diameter. This is even slightly too small for the Acadamy kit. I’ve just measured mine and they need to be 24.2mm!

I’m going to amend my post and sorry you ended up with them. 

The Aires ones look nice, but I’m often wary of their stuff, as I have some exhausts for other kits that are too small.

I guess our other options are either Amigo models, or A.M.U.R Reaver which get good reviews.

I have now made a set for myself by combining the front petals from the kit with resin copies I’ve made of my Kinetic Su-33. Not perfect, but vastly superior to the OOB kit ones. Of course they don’t have all that lovely corrugated trunking and flame holder. I have considered using GWH for that, but we’ll see. 

31870387037_cb39b6c35c_b.jpg

Edited by Drichc
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 12:51, Drichc said:

Hi Bonovox.

So they produce one for academy which is etch and one for hobbyboss which is resin, but the resin ones are also 23.8mm in diameter. This is even slightly too small for the Acadamy kit. I’ve just measured mine and they need to be 24.2mm!

I’m going to amend my post and sorry you ended up with them. 

The Aires ones look nice, but I’m often wary of their stuff, as I have some exhausts for other kits that are too small. 

I guess our other options are either Amigo models, or A.M.U.R Reaver which get good reviews.

I have now made a set for myself by combining the front petals from the kit with resin copies I’ve made of my Kinetic Su-33. Not perfect, but vastly superior to the OOB kit ones. Of course they don’t have all that lovely corrugated trunking and flame holder. I have considered using GWH for that, but we’ll see.  

31870387037_cb39b6c35c_b.jpg

Ciao Rich

A.M.U.R Reaver exhaust nozzle is really beautiful and precise as a diameter. To buy
Congratulations on your resin copies; really done well. :-oook

O.T.: can i profit to ask an information?
Can you tell me how can i put photos in posts?

Thanks for the reply ;)

1 hour ago, bonovox said:

Ciao Rich

A.M.U.R Reaver exhaust nozzle is really beautiful and precise as a diameter. To buy
Congratulations on your resin copies; really done well. :-oook

O.T.: can i profit to ask an information?
Can you tell me how can i put photos in posts?

Thanks for the reply ;)

Posting pics? 

Have a look here