Sign in to follow this  
Madhatter Mk2

Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

Hi everyone

Well, I thought I would share my newest project here with you all - the Revell 1/400 QM2. Very recently, I came across a build of this ship that inspired me so much that I spent a couple of weeks looking for one online for sale. I eventually found one on the French eBay site which cost me more than I want to share, but I feel it was very much well worth it.
The QM2 is such a beautiful looking ship for a floating hotel and the more I research her, the more I like her. I know that sounds suspiciously like I am Fake Book stalking a girl, but I promise it's not like that....

I have bought the GMM PE set and the Artwox deck set - both of which are here in front of me. HOWEVER,  I somehow managed to buy a second PE set by accident - in the same order. I have no idea how I didn't notice that but I didn't. So:.....The spare set is now up for sale if anyone wants it?

I am also going to light this sucker up using the 5m Warm White LED strip that I got in the mail on Monday and also the implementation of many various coloured SMD's and Fiber Optics. I have seen a few lit QM2's on the net and they are very nice, but I hope to avoid making the same mistake a couple of them seemed to have made which is to use those massive 3mm LED's on the OUTSIDE of the ship (it looks terrible when the lights are out).

So, a little bit abut the actual kit for those who have never heard of it until now (like me 5 weeks ago). It is a massive but beautiful beast made by Revell (kit #05223) that is sadly now out of production. My copy has a fair amount of flash on it, but it's nothing a file won't fix. There is a LOT to do on it but I do believe that the end result will be so worth it.
It measures out to be an impressive 85cm long and has all the necessary details to make a decent replica of the QM2. There is a noticeable lack of windows behind the upper and lower decks but this is nothing some clear plastic sheet won't cure. I am intending on cutting some clear sheet up and spray it flat clear to help disperse the LED lighting behind it. It will also help to stop it looking like a void behind the spaces.

Just a couple of pictures for you now - more when I have actually done something! :)

IMG_4514_zpsh3htd6tj.jpg

IMG_4513_zpsi6gedgif.jpg

IMG_4511_zps5qio12yl.jpg

IMG_4510_zpsvrkbjfpg.jpg

I realise the above is nothing very exciting - and for that I do apologise but it will get better
As always, thanks for stopping in!
Regards,
Si

• Like 2

alrighty then, so work has begun in earnest and so far all I have done is drill and sand windows. I had to replace the center parts of the lower windows because when I drill ed them out, I couldn't make the straight enough and the file wasn't small enough to fit, so I cut the center part out, filed it all down flat and straight, and then replaced the center bit with strip styrene

A task that I wasn't expecting to have to do, but in the end it looks much better than what it used to when I first did it

IMG_4526_zps1dlkwmuq.jpg

IMG_4532_zpshzw6e16u.jpg

IMG_4533_zpseidlfhd8.jpg

IMG_4534_zps6xwlkfen.jpg

This is not a small ship - this is a size comparison between a 1/35 K5 Railroad gun and an unfinished 1/350 Admiral Lazarev:

IMG_4527_zpsp9n32qwa.jpg

IMG_4531_zps8twdgpax.jpg

This will eclipse the K5 when it's done!!

Tomorrow will hopefully see the rest of the windows added and then I will look at light blocking the insides before gluing the 2 halves together  and get ready to start the lighting installation

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 2

Nice one Hatter, it's a huuuuge box, isn't it? And there is a lot of flash on the balcony windows too but well worth the effort in cleaning them up. I used strips of styrene with sandpaper stuck on for doing the windows, I found a file too aggressive on the little dividing posts. Your gonna love this build. Nice to see your Kirov in the background too.

• Like 1

This should be very interesting, I haven't seen many of them built, but it's a fabulous ship. I've been tempted by this and the Aida, but realistically they would lie fallow in the stash for eons.

Is this one going to be full hull or waterline?

• Like 1

Thanks guys yeah, there is a lot of flash but as you say, easy enough to remove carefully :) I think those balconies are going to take the longest time to do. I'm not looking forward to all that masking of the windows.

It will be full hull as I need the space to cram in the lighting :)

More to come later :)

• Like 2

So, work continues at my usual glacial pace and I finally have some progress worth showing
First up are the swimming pools - they are base painted and ready for the PE hand rails and then the clear resin. I have drilled some holes in the corners ready for some fiber optic cable to go in for pool lights. I'm thinking I may use an aqua coloured LED as a source to give it a better impression of not only depth but a better looking colour
I'm quite surprised to see a lack of some hand rails from the PE set for the pool surrounds. There are the surrounds for the spa pools but not the main ones. A rather odd omission from GGM here but not something that isn't able to be sorted out

IMG_4568_zpsordczrvn.jpg
Next up, I have finally got the paint on the hull and I am ready to start decalling it. Once the decals and flat coat etc are on, I will install the lighting and move on from there. This ship is so big it's hard to photograph!

IMG_4564_zpsb7icu8lo.jpg

IMG_4563_zps6m02zlnn.jpg

IMG_4562_zpsvkwoe8b3.jpg

I've used Gunze Midnight Blue for the dark strip and matches nicely to the photos I have of her. Just a couple of touch ups to do though up front, but I am hoping to have the decals on this weekend.
More soon
Thanks for looking
Si

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.
Time for a small update.  Things are progressing - all be it very slowly as I try to juggle study, work, life and trying to finish off another project so I can concentrate more on this build.
The decals are one and they look fine. I still need to tidy up a bit on the front as they didn't sit right but it's nothing really.

IMG_4596_zps0ksismgd.jpg

IMG_4597_zpspfipdu0v.jpg

IMG_4598_zpsfkmlu70d.jpg

I have the wooden decking on some of it now and I must say, it does look rather spiffing

IMG_4599_zps5ygcbbcd.jpg

IMG_4602_zpszd8lowqu.jpg

The pool lights are in and a test shows them to be looking very effective. They'll look even better once the clear resin goes in and the PE is attached

IMG_4603_zpsdfttxnye.jpg

IMG_4606_zps5blwq0gq.jpg

IMG_4607_zpsj41yqgrm.jpg

Well, that;s all I have for now, but I shall be back again soon
Thanks for looking
Si

• Like 2

Very nice Hatter, the paintwork on the hull looks the business, it's quite a lump to handle in the first place, I'm getting the itch to unpack mine but I really need to get back on Enterprise!

The pool lights look fantastic, they've come up rather nicely, I'd planned on fibres for mine but didn't know how they'd look, now I know that's the right way to go!

Looking forward to your next installment!

Edited by Jockster

thanks guys

2 hours ago, Jockster said:

I'd planned on fibres for mine but didn't know how they'd look,

I'll be honest - I wasn't sure either how they'd come out. I wasn't sure they would throw enough light out from the corners but they've come out perfectly (or near enough to)

I probably should have added a drop of clear green paint to the LED lens to make them ore aqua as opposed to blue, but by the time I'd thought of it, I had already glued them into the tubes. However, it is only white glue, so I should be able to rip them out and dip the lens in the paint if I change my mind

• Like 1

Things are progressing slowly. I finally have the lighting bar set up ready for the strip lights to go on..Its at such an angle to try and get as much light outwards as possible.We'll see soon enough if it works

IMG_4631_zpshtuukyzs.jpg

IMG_4632_zpse2hp7kpz.jpg

some of the smaller structures have been assembled ready for clean up:

IMG_4633_zpsi5u9zlgi.jpg

IMG_4634_zpspevahayx.jpg

IMG_4635_zpsnfyzxjuu.jpg

I have also painted the fibers - however, I am finding that in some cases they are breaking. They aren't under any strain, but I think the lacquer paint (Tamiya Spray cans) is eating away at the fibers. Its the only thing I can think of as to why they have started breaking. It's not a big deal - I'll just replace the broken fibers but its just a PITA to have to do that again

IMG_4638_zpsd12qj5pr.jpg

IMG_4639_zpsfboeeneh.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now but I shall be back soon with the results of the lighting test :)

Si

• Like 2

thanks guys

I installed some of the lighting last night and i am happy to say it does look pretty good. I shall take some photos hopefully tomorrow

thank you for your continued interest :)

Si