Sign in to follow this  
Che Guava

A blast from the past. Farnborough 1974....

...I think. It was raining buckets so it was.

Today I was doing a wee bit of plumbing and re-wiring in my loft, actually just that little triangle left at each side after you've done a loft conversion (I think they might be called Coombes, though that's possibly a village in Dorset, moi luvvlies). Anyway, that involved moving lots of the stuff you keep only because you have a loft to put it in. (There's an odd thing that has emerged recently where people hire off-site storage space at £200 a month for lots of worthless accumulants like old sofas and Granny's tea sets. Weird.)

While in there among the fibre-glass dust and mouse droppings (lockdown mask finally put to good use), a few envelopes of negatives fell out of a box. Black and white, never been printed (I was a cheapskate back in the day - no change there then.)

Well, this is the first time I've ever seen them too, so here they are....

resized_bcd05ad2-7634-4896-87c2-88423b87

resized_00b515ee-c3a1-4c1e-9643-0b9508af

8a286c63-919f-46d3-be9e-85b9d22de39c.jpg

resized_a0593201-aaa0-4d8d-bc48-72fb67c5

af2b7466-8e4b-479b-bc0e-8e703ae33412.jpg

resized_53830fd5-3aa2-4884-b398-80ac545f

resized_08a5e723-d720-4a67-8aa6-73d16251

4dab80f0-3db8-47bb-8d25-87784e1c91ff.jpg

5bb402a4-4dee-446c-9011-fd7ef85bb586.jpg

0777ed6e-abab-4e73-9b36-6c2bb6475fca.jpg

resized_d72cce0b-da02-491c-a351-85227582

resized_bf52bcb3-83b2-4017-b262-a16a0624

resized_b068b025-0ea4-4c3a-b248-e71f4128

resized_948cf8d1-ff75-40d7-aac7-d8ec35e8

resized_52bacf88-2f70-4212-9b4c-56741201

More to follow.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 9

Nice photos. I particularly like the SR-71 and the Skyvan pics.

8 hours ago, Che Guava said:

the stuff you keep only because you have a loft to put it in.

We've had our loft converted into another bedroom a few years ago and it certainly makes you reassess the junk that was previously stored up there. Mind you, it just means that most of the junk ends up getting shoehorned into other spaces in the house.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

I particularly like the SR-71

That was the record-breaking one - transatlantic flight in an unfeasably short time, Anyone got a Guiness book of records - does the SR-71 still hold it?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Wow. I seem to remember that as it crossed the designated timing point, its manoevre when slowing down to land at Farnborough took it over Paris!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

its manoevre when slowing down to land at Farnborough took it over Paris!

Partially true  (it was actually Amsterdam) but developed into one of those stories.

This map shows the route and its deceleration point after the London gate. It appears then to join up with a tanker for refuelling (item 17 on list) 

661d6181-15c4-4073-9f0f-1847244c9d65.jpg

It also broke a world record on its way home.

I went down to that show just for the SR-71.

Funny how I can't remember the rain.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Partially true  (it was actually Amsterdam) but developed into one of those stories.

This map shows the route and its deceleration point after the London gate. It appears then to join up with a tanker for refuelling (item 17 on list) 

661d6181-15c4-4073-9f0f-1847244c9d65.jpg

It also broke a world record on its way home.

I went down to that show just for the SR-71.

Funny how I can't remember the rain.

You don't need to remember the rain (although I do - '72 and '74 were wash-outs), just look at the puddles, sky and reflections!

How did Haggis and I not know you were there? (Maybe different days)  But that's good - you can tell me what I saw.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Ian Campbell said:

I remember it well, rained all week.

Thank you!  I didn't like to contradict RWG's legendary memory (and note books), but having spent a large portion of my £15pw wages getting tickets and persuading my Triumph Herald to actually tackle the journey without throwing a hissy fit, I was mightily dischuffed that the cloud base was probably 50ft, except you couldn't see it for the rain. Those shots were, by the lack of crowds, taken when the rain abated after the end of the flying display.

43 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

persuading my Triumph Herald to actually tackle the journey without throwing a hissy fit,

I'm with you there. I coaxed my '65 Webasto roof Herald around Longleat  in the usual progression trying to hold it on the clutch every time those in front stooped to take photos. For some reason if it stalled it used to take about 20 mins to start again. Needless to say the rangers followed very closely in their Landy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Che Guava said:

you can tell me what I saw....

https://www.scramble.nl/database/show-reports/united-kingdom/farnborough-1974

I was there on the Friday when it didn't rain. (either that or I logged everything on scrap paper and wrote it in my book later as there is not a smudge or wet mark)

I also realise that I was being paid more than you then (£20 a week paid fortnightly) which must be the only time 😄

Edited by RWG686

13 hours ago, RWG686 said:

https://www.scramble.nl/database/show-reports/united-kingdom/farnborough-1974

I was there on the Friday when it didn't rain. (either that or I logged everything on scrap paper and wrote it in my book later as there is not a smudge or wet mark)

I also realise that I was being paid more than you then (£20 a week paid fortnightly) which must be the only time 😄

I was there on the Sunday I think. Friday was usually Press Day, but it was changed because of increasing crowds at the weekend - I think '74 might have been the first to do so.  Pay....I was still in my first job, by then I was up to the heights of £5.50 a week. I left there pretty soon to more than double my wages, with regular upgrades!. Can't remember what you got as a Cadet right enough.

Gotta love those Viggen's in splinter-camo!  Yummy!  I have the 1/48th Tarangus kit in the stash that I keep looking at.....

And the SR-71 is a classic we'll never see the like of again.  I have big hopes for the Revell 1/48th new-tool kit due some time in 2021.

• Like 1