goon

BL755 cluster bomb markings

Hi Gang,

I've started work on a 1/24 Harrier GR.3, which if you know me won't surprise you being a Falklands War subject. I'm looking for information about the markings of a live BL755 at the time. I've found all sorts of variations of placement of the yellow stripe, and the four stripes on the under side. Can aynone help me pin it down please?

Cheers,

Gareth

Have a gander here Gareth:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/288792-bl-755-cluster-bomb-colours/

yellow= live

white= inert/training/not for flight.

The only bloke I can think of who may have used BL755's is Steve Friday/Fritag "next door"

when he was flying Jags in the 80's.

Edited by Miggers

Cheers Miggers. I've been poring over my Falklands (black and white photos only of the bomb under a GR.3 unfortunately) references and making notes. I'm going with a natural metal ring behind the arming vane, and a yellow band further back. I'll put four white stripes on the bottom and two thinner ones down each side. I'll have to make the best of the rest of the stencils from those on the Airfix decal sheet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Selwyn from over the road is the bomb man. He is on here but I've forgotten his username.

Ooh yeah,I forgot about Selwyn.

Have a shufty at this gents,a 26 minute IWM video of building and testing BL755's at Glascoed ROF.

Initial drop test is actually performed by a Starfighter:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060046307

Manufacture reminds me of my apprentice days at Radway Green,lots of mind numbingly repetitive jobs

done by the production machine operators. 

At about 20 mins in,live drop tests commence with a Bucc S.1/S.2(can't think of anyone who'll be interested in that bit)

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Gareth @goon, can have a word with one of our club members, he served as an armourer on Harriers in Germany, while not playing with buckets full of instant sunshine....

Thanks Phoenix. It's not massively important but if it's not too much trouble it woul be good to know for sure.

Afternoon Gareth, @goon have had a word with one half of our florin! (Two Bob's in the club)

The four white lateral bars were applicable to all BL755 weapons, as they show the cradling points. These were needed because the BL755 was a 'soft skin' weapon, the skin being stripped off by a small explosive charge to allow the bomblets to fall clear, so these points were reinforced. Live weapons also carried a yellow stripe around the nose area to denote explosive.

Hope this is of some help,

Paul