Sign in to follow this  
beowulf

Yamaha Virago, Tamiya 1/12th

doing this for a GB at my local IMPS Branch

done this kit a few times and theres always been things ive not been impressed with

never liked the words on the tank/side covers being moulded in and having to be hand painted, so they have been sanded off!.........got some decals from the spares box so will see if they fit, but im relocating the filler cap......................theres too much chrome for my liking, and the chrome sprue in this box isnt very good, like they only sprayed the chrome on one side of the sprue!....and its showing its age cos theres some moulding parting flash..............so some bits are getting stripped and repainted..........both fenders will be same colour as the tank/side covers..........exhaust is going matt black as will a few other bits and bobs

14044_10.jpg

engine is done

aa_1210.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I am now a tamiya bike convert so I'm watching 

its a great kit but its showing its age......goes together with no drama, just little things thats annoying, to me at least lol

• Like 1

finally making progress.......front, back and middle bits mostly done.......just need to join them together!!

zdscf911.jpg

next thing is what to do with the tank......i sanded off the raised yamaha logo cos its a bit crappy, i was going to use some stripes but now ive got it painted they just done suit it, however i found these in the spares......thinking of the big one down the centre of the tank, and the two little ones on the sides...................or should i leave the tank plain since ive got it nice and shiny?......whats everyone think?

zdscf912.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beowulf said:

should i leave the tank plain since ive got it nice and shiny?......whats everyone think? 

My own view is that fussy detailing detracts from a nice design - so personally I would leave it plain.

(And that has nothing to do with me BLOODY HATING DECALS!!!! :realmad:)

The engine looks really good.

Personally as you've got that tank soooo shiny go for plain unless you feel confident with getting clear gloss that shiny afterward