Sign in to follow this  
skwonk

1/35 Panzer IV Ausf H

First foray into 35th for a fair few years so inspired by Normandy '44 I managed to nab this on bay of fleas complete with box of track links, those should be fun from what I remember. And so here goes...

20201112-162913.jpg

• Like 5

Bit of stuff done. Bit gappy at the back end so scrap card shoved in to be smoothed out in a bit. That exhaust looks like some of the things kids put on their Fiestas to make them look faster

20201112-205227.jpg

20201112-205320.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, beowulf said:

..ive got a box of those tracks, had them years but never used them

They fit perfectly in line until it comes to the drive wheels and the fit is so tight that they start pinging off. I've resorted to the kit tracks and anyway, with the side plate armour they'd be unnoticed. Kit tracks held together with a mini staple. They will sit properly after I've finished adjusting them.

20201113-115736.jpg

• Like 7

Looking a bit more 'tanky' now. Simulated heavy welding beads with rod 'melted' with liquid poly and a bit of a 'cast' texture to some of the surfaces by dabbing on liquid poly until it starts to dry a bit. The hull MG is awful. It's slightly oval so tried to 'round' it. Drilled a bit of an opening in the end and tried to drill a few small indentations in the barrel just to give it a bit more life. You can see the mis-aligned teeth on the drive wheel in the second phot.

20201113-163051.jpg

20201113-163106.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Thats my plan too

Make sure the return rollers are mounted rock solid otherwise the track, once joined will start to pull them outwards. The reason for not using my individual links was that the teeth on the drive wheels are slightly mis-aligned when molded. I could have used the links but it would have meant paring the teeth down quite considerably which wouldn't look right.

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 2

A bit more done last night and today. As you can see I don't make life easy for myself by gluing loads of bits on prior to painting. The more I do on this kit the more it reminds me 1970's Tamiya. The cupola MG was binned as it was rubbish apart from the front end of the barrel which was used in the turret. The original kit part looked like the end of a wooden rolling pin. Stretched sprue around the turret edges glued and melted roughly with liquid poly in order to simulate roughly welded seams. Well, I suppose those on a JTS (Jugend training scheme) had to learn some time. And that cupola, yes it looks odd but looking at completed models and images of the real thing it does resemble the oddness of it. I was tempted to smooth top and bottom halves but no.

20201115-185841.jpg

20201115-185813.jpg

20201115-185803.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Has it got a battery box in the bottom? If so I think it was a direct copy of the original tamiya kit 

Yep, you can see it in this shot. Skirts are dry fitted but I can't be bothered trying to lift then off again, quite a snug fit on all those hooks and loops etc. I was tempted to remove a section of one and generally batter them up a bit as they just look too flat. I may wield a small power tool at them yet.

20201115-223412.jpg

20201115-223404.jpg

• Like 4

Basically I separated them all when I built tamiyas stug iv and it looks far better slightly misaligned, to me anyway. Great stuff keep going, BTW tamiya have dropped the battery tray chassis on their later pz iv h 

7 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Basically I separated them all when I built tamiyas stug iv and it looks far better slightly misaligned, to me anyway. Great stuff keep going, BTW tamiya have dropped the battery tray chassis on their later pz iv h 

I got the turret armour misaligned and not by choice. I nearly didn't bother with that bit but it's all washed of dust etc and ready for priming when dry. 

Nice progress on your Mk IV 😎 I built one of these a couple of months ago, but mine ended up as a captured Russian machine.

On 16/11/2020 at 23:00, mac1677 said:

Nice progress on your Mk IV 😎 I built one of these a couple of months ago, but mine ended up as a captured Russian machine.

I've seen that one; nice twist on a theme. I'm just waiting for Dunkelgelb paint to turn up now so I can progress.

• Like 1

Got the camo on earlier. Wholly fictitious but could easily have been field applied. That's my story anyway. The base dunkelgelb is matt (I didn't know that until it arrived today) whilst the squiggles are gloss.

20201120-164236.jpg

20201120-164241.jpg

20201120-164249.jpg

20201120-164307.jpg

• Like 3