Rory Manton

Kinetic Su-33

Finished. The Kinetic 1/48 Su-33. The kit is ok the instructions are an abomination unto Nuggan, very , very poor. Paints are Mr Paint, the first time I have used them, very impressed, with some Humbrol for detail. Not realy happy with some of it, the white panel topside middle being one bit but, hay ho, the next one will be better. Photos taken on my iPhone because the bloody camera exported the original phots to my Mac but forgot to tell me where it had exported them to so they are lost in the gubbings.

image_20.jpeg

image_24.jpeg

image_22.jpeg

image_21.jpeg

image_23.jpeg

image_25.jpeg

• Like 3

It's a beautiful looking model, I particularly like the engine areas.

Personal preference, I think it could benefit from a wash, particularly in the wing fold areas to highlight the details. Some more definition to the panel lines might also look good, but it obviously depends on the look you're after.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I looked at giving it a wash and decided against it. I was working from a set of phots on 'tinternent and there were no panels visible except for when painted or unpainted. On older , in service aircraft , panels are visible but as mine is pre delivery, note no squadron markings, the clean look is more appropriate, and , more importantly , what I wanted.The wing folds also looked like the painter had just blatted over them with topcoat, there is a wash on them but it is very slight and doesn't show up well in the photo, but again its how I wanted it to look.

But it's mainly blue, and the colour blue is also an Abomination unto Nuggan...

I'd agree with the wash idea myself, as it helps to accentuate shadows and give depth where there isn't much, like in the wing fold recesses. It's not to simulate dirt, just shadows. I'd also use it in the gaps around the control surfaces for the same reason.

Other than that, I'd be happy with it.

Cheers,

Dean

Personally, I do tend to try and emphasise some panel lines more than others, like control surfaces that will naturally have a larger gap than tight fitting panels.  Some panels are rivetted in place and never come loose, others are regularly opened for maintenance, and then there are panels that leak lubricants and other liquids.  I find that this differential weathering makes a model look more authentic and more interesting where all the panel lines look the same.

Jens

It's nice and blue........what's not to like. Not  much to add to what Jens , Dr.G and Dean have said, other than I'd like to see it posed on a base or on a piece of card to hide the background...

I am taking note of the answers, that's why it's here in critique and not the gallery but I must say I think most  of you are missing the point of the build.

The aircraft has been built to represent a new aircraft, an aircraft not yet in squadron service and is based on several show aircraft photos found on the net, all of them showing the aircraft in the state I have represented , clean, unmarked and without panel lines showing. It is accurate.

So in order to fit in with modern model and modellers expectations I should add " details" that aren't visible?

I am happy with it though, well most of it which is the most important thing to me.

Thank you for replying and critiquing.

• Like 1

I think on a model the viewer expects to see surface detail because they know it's there, not because it's necessarily visible or as prominent on the real thing. Most panel lines are moulded hugely out of scale on aircraft kits , especially at the smaller scales, but without them the model wouldn't look right. I think it's a balance between true geometry and artistic license. Obviously that's just my opinion and at the end of the day it's a nice model.

My opinion - the paint job is great, and I get that you want to show a new plane, but in scale that becomes a little more tricky. As mentioned by others here, the washes are meant to simulate shadows that would be more easily seen on a full-sized plane. Honestly, I would have done a very (VERY) light wash around the control surfaces and the gear/doors. I also would have most certainly done a darker wash on the wingfolds - I don't care how clean the plane is, there will always be grease and dirt caught in the hinges. But don't get me wrong - great paint job and great finish.

John

Great paint job with difficult colors! I won't adddress the wash subject as thats ben mentioned. The only head scratcher for me is this shot as I can't find ashot on the web that shows the valves etc of the wingfold overpainted in all blue, and I don't think Sukhoi would do that necessarily, but if you have the reference  shots I stand corrected. 

image_22.jpeg

I can find any photos of the wing fold areas on the net that are all just painted blue. There's several birds in pristine airshow shots, but what I find looks like this from the MAKS airshow in 2007 (the red arrow is mine :-) ) . 

image_zpsaxutqpy8.png

A little tough to see here but the valves etc. are all in a metallic gray. 

Other than that, I think this is a brilliant build. Love your paintwork. It's spot on. 

Regards,

JC

I will see if I can find the phot.

I stand corrected all I can now find is grey.

Kit now launched out of window.

Edited by Rory