Electrafication

Now, nobody should hold their breath thinking this will be finished tout de maintenant or somesuch. This will be a long project, and I only started it because the yellow on my Klemm is taking 3 days to dry per area each coat.

Acquired from RWG as an abandoned project, I thought I'd try stretching it a bit to test the technique when (if) I lengthen a Mach 2 Viscount and Britannia,

I've done the old stretchy fuselage a few of times before by different methods. First by the simple method of buying a second kit for the front extension and having only one join (sometimes not as easy as I'd hoped, and too expensive for a dedicated cheapskate like moi), Another time, I used small strips of card  to make up the extension, but being flat, made it look like the side of a Zeppelin!

This time I pre-prepared a sheet of 20thou card heated and wrapped round a bit of B&Q sink drain pipe! Releasing it from that, I needed a tighter diameter, so, using cable-ties gradually tightened the sheet up like a Sunday roast. This was then trimmed and inserted into the inside of the cut fuselage with an underlap of about 30-40mm at each end. Another circular piece with a longitudinal cut and to the correct extension length was slipped over the nose and into the depression left by the internal plug.

Oh for heaven's sake! Even I can't follow that and it was I wot rote it.

Here's some piccy's instead (in the style of old Airfix instructions)....

3a19060f-9a62-47e4-8a99-df3b869a7094.jpg

Separate part A from part B, insert part C.....

9aa99d9e-c7bd-4a4b-9727-8d9329e042cd.jpg

.....glue mating surfaces, then before glue hardens......

2f0caba4-4cee-45e6-9730-f37c837f5f7c.jpg

.....slide part D over nose ("not your nose, you idiot") and close up parts A, B and C, aaaaand.....

...Voila! The Electra-fication of an Orion has begun.

• Like 8

Richard's a bad influence.
What happened to good old fashioned shaking the box and it all falls into place kits?
That used to be all the rage and no one would touch a kit that needed filler. 

How times have changed!
Or maybe it's just the clientele at this particular maison de la psyche?  xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, Walrus said:

Richard's a bad influence.
What happened to good old fashioned shaking the box and it all falls into place kits?
That used to be all the rage and no one would touch a kit that needed filler. 

I have to own up that it was probably me who, way back, was a bad influence on him. Back then, there were almost no civil aeroplane kits, so the hacksaw, the filler, and occasionally the balsa wood, were vital. Now I'm trying to catch up!

It's also something to do with the fact that, straight out of the box doesn't seem to work with me. Something almost always goes wrong and hopes of excellence are dashed. Meanwhile, when there are no great expectations, like my recent L-39, any result at all exceeds them.

I've never lusted after a WNW kit, because if I get it wrong its my fault, and if it turns out exceptional, well that's just because WNW made it that good in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
9 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

May I point out the bottom of this page?

You're no fun anymore.

Also, I could never purchase from a company who is so cavalier with English grammar as to spray random apostrophies around like shells from a Gat,

'Conversion's" plural indeed. What is their first language? Klingon?

Usefull to see what they needed to change though, Lockheed actually used the short bit of the tail at the end of their extension, but I'd no idea about the prop spinners - I suspect later models just used Orion ones.

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, Che Guava said:

like shells from a Gat,

You might have a few baffled there Squire Guava.

But,apart from that,might I say a Sterling effort Sir,a Sterling effort.(think about it,think about it)

That Gault fellow is a bit of a rogue,he throws bits and decals in one's direction and with the power of suggestion,

he has you hook,line and sinker.

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Che Guava said:

You're no fun anymore.

Also, I could never purchase from a company who is so cavalier with English grammar as to spray random apostrophies around like shells from a Gat,

Well, ye's he doe's tend to commit apo's trophe abu'se. But to off'set that, hi's conversion's are top notch. 'Superb even :P

What's your plan for the windscreen?

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

Well, that flat centre panel has to go...

5760033_9e13826d.jpg

That's got yer scratchin' yer heed Guava old bean.

Think I'd be measuring from the "quarter light" frame to the centre,remove the offending and cut/fit two new frames.

Either that or pinch someone's DC.3/4/6/7 windscreen and adjust smugly to fit......

That real one above has a lot more than just a whiff of Douglas aboot it.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

The windscreen itself is an easy enough shape. Just pinch an old CD case and cut the two panels from it. The real challenge is the shape of the flight deck roof just above it. It's pretty much the reason why I went with the Contrail's conver'sion kit.

That's why I mentioned the DC.3/4/6/7,they all have a similar "eyebrow" above the two panels where the shape changes

quite subtly from flat to curved.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jessie_C said:

Well, that flat centre panel has to go...

5760033_9e13826d.jpg

Yeh, Flat glass panels. Un piece de gateau, init? My chosen subject will be an Air Atlantique (Atlantic Airlines) freighter which has a slightly deeper quarter-window (the one next to the front vee. Getting the side window narrowed and the fuselage contours modded will be trickier. I'm pretty sure the windscreen rake is the same though. Much blunter nose, semi-circular profile. The Orion nose must have beens stuffed with warfare widgets. 

This is a really useful picture...Thanks

I can't see any difference in the spinners between the Electra and Orion though. Am I missing something since they are supplied in the conversion's (sic) kit.

• Like 1
Just now, Che Guava said:

I can't see any difference in the spinners between the Electra and Orion though. Am I missing something since they are supplied in the conversion's (sic) kit.

The spinners are there because the Electra's props are different, and the conversion caters to that.

Electra:

lockheed-l-188-electra-06.jpg

Orion:

p-3c-orion_002.jpg

• Like 2