Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'f-104'.
Found 2 results
Guest posted a topic in In ProgressWell let's get this site loaded up. I started a build last year of Italeri's new 1/32 F-104 A/C kit using a lot of stuff I haven't used yet. Here's a photo of the starting lineup: I've got the kit (duh), along with Eduard's exhaust for early -104s as well as their PE set for the gun bay. My plan is to feature the electronics bay and the gun bay opened on a well-worn -104 assigned to the Puerto Rico ANG. I'll also be using the decals from Victory productions: Colors to be provided by Hataka Paints - I've sprayed some briefly on my paint mule with good results, so we will all see where that takes us later. Now let's get started on our journey of plastic goodness. Just to get off on the right foot, I figured I'd start with something simple - hacking up the gun bay to accommodate the PE from Eduard. Here's my first cuts: And with the basic PE taped in place: Throughout this misadventure your questions, comments, and observations (and critiques - I'm not sensitive) are profoundly welcomed. Thanks for looking - see you tomorrow with the next installment. John
An eternity ago I built Hasegawa's 1/48 F-104C Starfighter straight from the box in a Puerto Rico ANG scheme. I soon discovered that the 1/48 decals by Eagle Strike (48-239, "Starfighters 1") weren't really scaled well. The Puerto Rico flag for the rudder was way too large, as were the U.S. insignia. So I opted to build it as 0-70929 as seen on this photo on Airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Lockheed-F-104C-Starfighter/170101 You can see that the ragged edge of the anti-dazzle panel on the nose is accurate and not because of a lack of masking capabilities! I did suffer from a lack of observation skills though, as the photo is of F-104C 57-929 and the decals for 56-929... The weathering was done rather heavy-handed as the real PRANG One-Oh-Fours didn't look too "concours-ready" either! One thing that no manufacturer of Starfighter models seems to get right is that the tip tanks of the F-104A, F-104B, F-104C and F-104D had small inboard fins, similar as the outboard fins. It was not until the F-104G that the inboard were enlarged... So aside from adding simple pieces of seatbelt from tape between the headrest and the moulded-in belts on the backrest, I scrounged the outboard fins from another pair of tiptanks to get this (in my eyes) quite visible detail right.