Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'dragon'.
Found 4 results
Hi folks, Having had a couple of the 1:32 DML its in stash, I hankered to build the machine that Rudolf Hess flew to Scotland in 1941, in his hope of brokering a peace deal in the run up to Hitler's Operation Barbarossa. The machine was one he requestioned for his own personal use at Messerschmitt's Augsburg factory, and it was modified so a single pilot could operate the radio equipment. It's often been said that Hess flew a 110D, but that is incorrect, despite the 'E' having the extended dinghy tail associated with the 'D'. The kit was finished with the correct underwing and under-fuselage fuel tanks that Hess used on his one way trip, and armament was removed from the rear cockpit. I also used some Eduard detail sets on this. I fully riveted the model using an MDC flush riveter. All markings are airbrushed using Miracle Masks (vendor forum on Brexitmodeller). Another enjoyable project.
I had this sitting around half built before I got sick, so decided to finish it off this week. It's not a bad little kit, some minor fit issues but nothing that someone with moderate skills couldn't cope with. Decals were shot so these were from the spares box. The paint was said to come from Army tank units and therefore wore pretty badly on the aircraft. I've gone hard on the paint chips and probably could have gone a little harder, but that's enough.
This was done as a quick build between projects, and only took eight hours work to complete. It would have been quicker, but the escape rocket mast is VERY fiddly to put together, with more parts than the rest of the rocket put together, and the lack of proper instructions doesn't help. Also the main body of the rocket is presented as tubes, presumably to eliminate sanding of seams; it doesn't. There is a prominent mould seam down both sides of each of the four sections, and a lot of sanding and polishing smooth is still required. As it was a quick build, I didn't research the colour scheme too much and just followed the instructions on the box, so there are inaccuracies. No weathering was done, as this thing was only used once... Only one pic, as it doesn't look much different from the other side. Cheers, Dean