Jump to content

Grant

Members
  • Content Count

    143
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

156 Excellent

About Grant

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Personal Information

  • IPMS Branch
    South Somerset
  • IPMS Membership No.
    10147

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Grant

    Telford 2019

    I'll be there with Splash SIG, with a Schneider Trophy theme on the table.
  2. I should do, shouldn't I? Hopefully that is the worst of it over now...
  3. Been a while since the last update – to much lovely weather to be modelling, and sooo much sanding required on this one I needed a break! With the back end is looking usable now, time to fit the fin which – guess what – doesn’t fit. It is much thinner than the part it is attaching to. So, more sculpting required…. With the back end just about finished, time to concentrate on the cockpit section. First up, very carefully mask that very thin canopy and then – more filling! Note to self: - next trip to model shop/show, buy some more filler 🤓 Cheers Grant
  4. We allow Hovercraft in the Splash SIG, as they (almost) take-off!! Plus they are very cool 😎
  5. Pictures restored to post!
  6. Thanks for the update I'll chase the piccies down.
  7. Hi Duncan, The magnets were bought online a couple of years ago, 6mm dia x 1.5mm Neodymium magnets, about £2 for 10. I have just found some at First4magnets at 20 for £3, so cheep as chips and brilliant for holding models on display stands without drilling holes in the model. They even do tiny ones that could be used to hold stores onto pylons. The stand is just a 10mm acrylic rod with a piece of clear plastic super glued to it. I drilled holes in the clear plastic and super glued the magnets in, two at the front and two at the rear. This keeps the model pointing in the direction I want, as they do tend to swing around with just one set of magents, unless there is a lip or central pylon you can to use to limit the movement. Inside another 4 held in place with 2 part epoxy. With the rod at an angle in the base, as you turn the rod you can go from level flight to banked flight to nearly vertical. Simplz! cheers Grant
  8. Bizzarly I am quite enjoying fixing the issues. The size differences on the spine got sorted quite quickly really. What I have to be careful of is not loosing too much detail. There are a few intake horns quite close to parts joins and I don't what to damage them. Next really fiddley bit will be masking the (very thin) canopy! As for that Leuchars photo - I wasn't even 6 months old when it was taken!!
  9. So big were the steps that I have built up the back end and fuselage spine with plasticard. Looks like it might have worked out ok. Getting close to undercoat time – to find out how bad all my filling is. Once I get the fuselage sorted, then I will add (and fill) the fin and tailplane. Cheers Grant
  10. I must admit I walked away from this for a week or so. There was sooo much more filler required, and I had a lovely little Moraine to finish off and rig – a nice bit of therapy before getting back to the heavy metal. So here we are at the moment; the back end is together and stuck on but the fuselage seems much taller. That is going to take some blending in. Biggles (from the spares box) is now in place. I am so glad I kept all the pilots from the models I broke up when I left home all those years ago! The collection is proving very useful. I had to file down the top of the seat as it was fouling the canopy, and I seem to have made a right mess of cutting the right side of the canopy. As for the nose - it was pointing left so I had to put a shim in and file to size. Getting there slowly…
  11. Cool. Those things are quite cleverly done, if a little fiddley. Lokks like you have plenty of small parts fun to come!
  12. True, time pressure doesn't help but, hopefully - even for me, there is enough time. Just some display boards, a score board, some in-flight poles and another model or two and I'll be ready!
  13. No pressure then 😲😲
  14. Time for another Telford build. This is the 1/32nd Essdale model of the Supermarine S5, winner of the 1927 Schneider contest. A multi-media resin kit with white metal, PE, aluminium and steel parts. Looks pretty good out of the box, with just one fuselage half looking a little warped, but not too drastically. I like the fact the floats are one piece – one less seam to worry about. The beaching trolley forms part of the build jig, the other parts are printed on the instructions for cutting out and they put the fuselage in the correct place for attaching the substantial float struts. Lots of pinning of butt joints required but looks like it should be a straightforward build into a model that will certainly have ‘presence’. More when it happens…
  15. Been concentrating on sub-assemblies this week. At the rear I have been filing away plastic to make room the metal exhaust inserts. They are now epoxied in. Not using any of the metal u/c doors supplied, as they are all for u/c down models, so have fashioned some plasticard replacements for the in-flight pose. The cockpit is interesting, a white metal tub that slides into the already stuck together nose section. Lots of fiddly PE here, which has come up well with a little dry brushing. The dial details are supplied in the kit on acetate sheet. I used PVA to attach to the PE and painted the back white – probably won’t see any of it once it is installed. Getting close to having to start closing up now, so needed to check proposed magnetic mounting would be strong enough with all that white metal in place. Looks like it is! So, in go the magnets. Looking at the next two photos you wouldn’t believe the amount of sanding and slicing I have already had to do to get it looking even this good. There will be a short break in up-dates while I sort out those seams… Cheers Grant
×
×
  • Create New...